chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - oldroverboy

Just had an oil change done at Evans Halshaw in St Albans (while having some warranry work carried out), and realised when I got home that the "service technichian" had filled the engine with the wrong grade of oil, Happily I spotted it and Evans Halshaw have refunded the oil change and apologised, and the car has now been drained and filled with Castrol Edge fully synthetic. (elsewhere)

Evans Halshaw service manager 10 out of 10 for the quick refund, I won't name the technician but 0 out of 10 for not doing your job properly, could have cost your employer a new engine. Must stress however that service reception were helpful at all times, so not your fault.

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - Collos25

They are kidding you.

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - Dutchie

I don't think the wrong grade of oil would have destroyed your engine.Unless its a high performance racing car.Just my opinion.

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - gordonbennet
A rare car indeed, would be interested in your opinions and experiences of your car OldRover if you would be so kind.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/10/2010 at 20:57

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - primeradriver
This is just the standard GM 150BHP diesel engine as used in SAABs and Vectras isn't it?

How wrong did they get the oil? Not sure I can see such a common lump being particularly delicate either to be honest.
chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - Avant

I'm curious as to how you spotted it was the wrong grade.

Did you open the filler cap and sniff knowingly, like a wine expert? Or was the sound of the engine ever so subtly different?

Perhaps, more prosaically, they stated the grade on the invoice.

I'd guess that most of us don't have a clue as to what sort of oil they put in at a service - let alone whether it's the right sort.

Nicely put Avant.:)

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - Collos25

Where the car was made it is probably not possible to buy castrol edge oil and like has been already said its just a vectra unit which runs on gm semi synthetic,Evans Halshaw probably put the correct oil in and you have changed it for a type of oil that was never in the car in the first place,eitherway it won't do any harm all you have done is waste your time

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - oldroverboy

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. Chevrolet in their handbook specify the oil should be 5w40 or 0w40. If any of us choose to ignore the manufacturers specifications regarding servicing then we can't expect the said manufacturer to honour the warranty. The mechanic filled with 10w40. Certainly short term it would do no harm, but as I previously wrote, The garage admitted it was not the correct oil, and have refunded me and apologised. (I also appreciate that they did not dispute the matter but acted speedily!) As I also posted, it has now been filled with the correct grade of oil, that I have used Castrol Edge is purely my choice. I add also that I am satisfied with the car it is comfortable and I have driven 4000 miles in 2 months getting good economy. It is therefore in my interest to maintain the car properly.

And to all those people who didn't change the brake fluid at the recommended intervals on their vw's audi's and seat's, did Vag pay up for the faulty brake master cylinders?

no! If you buy a car, get it maintained by a main dealer while it is under warranty,

Finally, I am sure that Honest John would firmly recommend using the correct spec oils and has advised many many people about oil changes.

Best wishes all, and Happy Motoring

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - justadriver

I'm curious as to how you spotted it was the wrong grade.

Did you open the filler cap and sniff knowingly, like a wine expert? Or was the sound of the engine ever so subtly different?

Perhaps, more prosaically, they stated the grade on the invoice.

I'd guess that most of us don't have a clue as to what sort of oil they put in at a service - let alone whether it's the right sort.

Oldroverboy was right to check whats done with his car. If you don't care what happens to your car, I certainly care about mine. And anyway it has been rectified, end of problem. I won't take my car anywhere where i don't trust them to do the work properly, and if a mistake is made and there are problems later, who would be responsible? PS phone your dealer, assuming you have a car, and ask if they'll cover engine damage due to incorrect lubricants, Also see a case afew years back when someone in bedford filled up with oil after allowing the engine to run dry and thhe tried to claim for it, Oil analysis showed that the new oil had been added after the lack of lubricant had allowed the engine to seize, I think it was a car dealer near bedford about 6 years ago.

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - Avant

Although I made my point rather tongue-in-cheek, I wasn't implying that most of us don't care about our cars. Most of us indeed do - but if you have your car serviced by a garage, you have to trust them to put the right grade of oil in. And it's difficult for an amateur to know whether they have or not.

Hello Oldroverboy,no offence was intented and its a credit to you the way you look after your car.Myself if this had happened to me regarding the oil,I would have had a word with the technician ,without getting him into trouble.We are all different that makes us unique.:)