Gap Insurance - madbikerjay

Hi everyone, Gap insurance is a con! Why you ask, well this is what happen to me when i claimed on my gap insurance. I brought my car 3yrs ago from a dealer for £6995 with gap insurance costing £299, but sadly the car was a a total loss a few days ago. My insurance compamy will only offer me £3100 less my access £450 (=£2650) for the car, and i thought as i was sold it by the dealer, that the Gap insurance would pay the rest, well NO they don't! They give you a market value for the car which was £4385 and pay from that price to your invoice price £4385 to £6995 (=£2610). So i ended up with only £5260. Thats down by £1735 form my purchase price of £6995. So i went back to the dealer yesterday and asked why they had miss sold me the gap insurance, which they were shocked to hear about what happened and belived that this is wrong and are helping me with my claim. So please bewere when buying Gap insurance.

Gap Insurance - bathtub tom

That doesn't seem too bad to me for three years motoring:

£6995 - (£3100+£2610)=£1285. You have to ignore the excess, that's your choice to reduce the premium.

If your GAP insurers are saying the car's worth £4385 and your motor insurers saying it's £3100 then you can use the GAP insurers valuation to up the motor insurers offer. Of course you didn't accept the motor insurers first valuation, did you?

Gap Insurance - RaineMan

That is quite a fair offer when you take depreciation into account. I honestly cannot understand what your argument is!

Gap Insurance - LucyBC
It should be fairly easy to get the GAP insurer and the motor insurer into line on what is the replacement cost of the vehicle.

As has been said elsewhere the excess is between you and your motor insurer and has nothing to do with the GAP so you were going to lose that anyway.

You don't need the garage which sold you the car to assist you - you need legal and insurance advice.

If you email me your details via asklucy@honestjohn.co.uk along with an email address and contact number I will be able to give you some detailed free legal advice which will should see you recover the full price you paid (less the policy excess) assuming you have "back to invoice" GAP cover.
Gap Insurance - bonzo dog

Sorry to hear about your incident, hopefully no one was hurt (well, other than financially, obviously!)

It's clear that you were under the impression that the Gap paid from whatever the insurance paid to what you paid for the car. As you now know, this is not the case. Now I know this will come over as having a pop, but it's not meant. I'm just trying to help.

1. If the motor insurer paid you £1.00 would you expect the gap to pick up the difference?
  2. If you didn't have the Gap would you have contested the insurance valuation?
  3. I don't expect you will have read the terms & conditions (no-one does, let's face it) but it will state in there what the Gap pays from
  4. But you will also have been given a "KeyFacts" leaflet which lays out the main limitations & exclusions of the policy including that it only pays from market value.
  5. The thing is, you can't rely on being told all of the relevent information nor can you rely on remembering all you were told, that is one reason the Financial Services Auth introduced "KeyFacts". It is intended to protect the consumer, but it also protects the seller; & so it should
  6. BUT .... if the dealer is saying HE was NOT aware of the terms, then he is clearly at fault & should pay the difference (although a court may say that you were equally at fault for not reading what you were given)
  7. Go through the complaints procedure ensuring the dealer is aware you WILL take it to the FSA if you recieve no joy from him

Good luck

Gap Insurance - dieseldogg

Just a comment, we recently bought a car at about £16,500.00, the gap insurance quotation was £300.00 for 3 years, which i thought good value, and certainly proportinally better value than you appear to have got.

we did not take it out as our insurance replaces with a new car at up to 2 years of age.

But I commented to the wife that if gap insurance was introduced to protect all parties especially if the car was bought with Hire Purchase, surely the gap insurance should be included in the cost of the hire purchase.

jat

M