Ford mondeo TDCi 53 Plate - Smell of fuel and smoke in engine bay - Andrew Velcro

Hi all

I'm having trouble with my 53 plate Mondeo TDCi (no suprise there!!!). The other week I could smell fuel as I walked past the car, this was after a long journey. I had a quick look around but couldn't see any problems so left alone. A couple of days later I noticed smoke in my headlights rising from the grille. I removed the engine cover and could see smoke but not the source. There is a little of what i think is fuel collecting on the sump and a few spots on my drive, but again could not see the source. When I start the car up( even when cold) a small cloud of smoke rises from the engine bay then subsides. This is near the fuel pump. There is also signs of moisture on the fuel pump around what looks like a drain back from the injectors as well as some near the fuel output pipe. If there is a leak what is the most likely culprit and why am i getting smoke when the engine is cold i.e nothing hot enough to burn the dripping diesel. has anyone got any ideas.

Thanks

Andy

Ford mondeo TDCi 53 Plate - Smell of fuel and smoke in engine bay - Peter.N.

Could be that its not actually smoke but diesel vapour, possibly from a leak on the high pressure side.

Ford mondeo TDCi 53 Plate - Smell of fuel and smoke in engine bay - Andrew Velcro

That's an idea. Are there anyways to find the source? I've looked over and over but can't see where it's coming from.

Andy

Ford mondeo TDCi 53 Plate - Smell of fuel and smoke in engine bay - dieselnut

Don't put your hand anywhere where you think the leak may be. Use something like blotting paper & look for a stain.

The pressures involved can force diesel through the skin.

Diesel & blood don't mix well.

I think it may be a loose nut on the pump output pipe to the common rail. Has anyone tightened one of these in the past? It is in a really tight spot.

Andy