Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - Bottler

6 weeks ago I bought a 2002 Octavia estate TDi from a dealer in Portsmouth. The car had 104k on the clock and was sold with the dealers 3 month standard warranty. The turbo has been playing up and the car frequently goes into limp mode. A fault scan indicates that the turbo vnt vanes are sticking. (I did the scan) This requires an overhaul or replacement turbo at great expense. This is obviously not a new fault and probably was there when I purchased the car as the fault first occured within 2 weeks of getting the Octavia. The dealer has had the car for the past week and am hoping to hear today what he has done about the problem. The warranty has a limit of only £200 per claim. He tried to tell me before I left it with him that the problem is likely to be the maf sensor (I hope it is).

Should the dealer be sorting this and paying for all the repairs?

Many thanks for any advice.

Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - bonzo dog

yes

Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - nortones2

Sticking vanes just require cleaning: there is plenty of info about. The MAF can be replaced by a working item to check whether that is another fault. It doesn't mean a new turbo is required. Naturally the dealer might imply that is likely:)

Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - LucyBC

The warranty probably came inclusive with the price but I really don't understand why dealers don't sell better warranties and take a commission.

A proper warranty on a 2002 Octavia could be a reasonable earner and may mean they headed off a number of potential SoGA claims - most particularly the higher value / more expensive ones.

Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - Bottler

Update, the dealer still has my car but has said that the turbo is the problem and they are looking to get it reconditioned. They have vaguely talked about my warranty but I have said that I hope that they will cover all the costs. His reply was we will sort it out. They have lent me a very dodgy polo but I guess they did not have to do that. They are very poor at keeping me informed and I always have to chase them. Fingers crossed it will be resolved.

Update Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - Bottler

Update, the dealer sorted out the turbo. (Think it has been reconditioned) It took about 3 weeks but the dealer paid all the costs. So three cheers for Drayton Cars of Portsmouth!

Thanks for all advice!

Update Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - LucyBC
Why don't you recommend them in the Good Garages section?
Update Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - bathtub tom

It seems the dealer did whatever he's required to do, despite the dodgy Polo.

Full marks to them.

What was dodgy about the Polo?

Edited by bathtub tom on 02/11/2010 at 12:40

Update Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - Avant

It probably had a hole in it and wasn't in mint condition. :)

Update Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - bathtub tom

Thank you Avant. ;>)

That'll probably be lost on many here.

Update Octavia TDi 2002 - Faulty Turbo should dealer pay for repair? - Bottler

The polo was an w reg automatic 1.4 but in dire need of a service, when cold it spluttered and stalled. Was scary when trying to nip out into traffic. It was doing about 20mpg when I got it and was quite noisy. A litre of oil helped a lot with that! Was good of them to lend me something though. May well recommend the garage!