Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - Harry
Over the weekend I was fiddling around with my car, I unscrewed a plug on the driver’s side door, which is used to control all electrical devices on the driver’s side. When I screwed the plug back on the remote central locking stop working. What happens now is when I push the button on the key to activate the central locking system the locks go down and then release. This reaction usually happens when a door is open and you try to lock the door. All other electrical devices on that door are working including the electric window and side view mirror control.

I reckon it could be related to a faulty actuator, which controls the locking mechanism.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks.

Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - Andrew-T
I hope I understand the problem, but normally if any door is not properly closed that is what the locking does - not lock!
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - deere3350
I had the same problem with my 306. The doors kept locking and unlocking themselves. Replacement of the "osf door habitacle harness" (thats what it says on the invoice anyway) cured the problem. I thing the wires were stripped and were shorting.
Thanks for your reply, do you have any idea of how much it cost to get it fixed? I phoned Peugoet and they reckon it'll cost around £250 to replace, this is because they cannot pin point the exact wire that is causing the problem and will have to replace the whole unit.
According to my invoice £37.64 parts £62.38 labour excluding vat.
But that was June 2000. I suppose it can only get worse.
deere3350, you price sounds a lot better than mine and more realistic, did you get yours fixed from a main Peugeot dealer?
Sure did. Hasn't given me any problems since either.
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - jorgeporto
Hi
I'm having problems with the driver´s door cable connector. The speaker cables are open, and other cables are already damaged.
I live in Uruguay, so it´s hard to find a spare connector here.
It would be a great help if someone could provide me the part number for this connector, and a wiring diagram of the dashboard side of this cable bundle.
Thanks a lot.
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - IanT
jorgeporto -
Most users of this site are UK right hand drive, so our part numbers (if anyone knows them) probably will not suit your left hand drive (hope that is correct for Uruguay).

When I had a fault with my cable connector, I spent a long time trying to trace the cables, using the incomplete wiring diagram in my Haynes manual. For instance, the wiring for the door speakers is missing. It was almost impossible.

Sorry for such a negative reply.
Maybe someone else can be more helpful.

Ian
The bundle of cables running from the A-pillar to the driver's door is liable to develop breaks after many years of door opening and closing. My 306 developed electrical faults in this area (electric window related, not central locking) and when I examined the bundle with a meter I found three of the wires had open-circuited.

It seems likely that a break in the wrong cable in this bundle could cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

You could just try twisting the bundle roughly to see if something inside it makes electrical contact again (good) or something else breaks (bad, but demonstrates the location of the fault).

Ian
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - Ben79
My Xsara has developed a central locking problem, the drivers door always deadlocks when using the remote, but recently, does not always un-deadlock. If you put the key in and turn it to the right, there is a small click, a very small click, at the very end of the turn, and then the door will open.

Any ideas?

Ben
I've just realised I've given the same answer as deere3350 - assuming what I was trying to describe is a "habitacle harness" !

Ian
Ian, thanks for your reply, how much do you think it'll cost to get it fixed?
I think you will have to rely on deere3350 for the answer to this one.

Mine was fixed for free because I soldered a new bit of cable across the break in one of the wires (the other two broken wires didn't do anything - they may have been for electric mirrors or something else I haven't got). But I don't think my solution will win any prizes for long-term longevity. If it goes again, I'll have to bite the bullet and pay for the proper parts.

Was your quote of £250 for an investigation and fix, or just for the replacement of the harness without investigation?

Ian
Benito

Does your fault work like this:
1. You deadlock the car with the remote.
2. You use the remote to unlock the car.
3. All doors except the driver's door unlock.
4. Indicators flash (they would if you had a 306).
5. You use the key in the drivers door and it unlocks.
6. The alarm doesn't go off (possibly only relevant if you had a 306).

In which case it looks to me as though all the electrics are working correctly, but the driver's door lock mechanism is stiff and needs the extra push of the key to get it moving. If you're lucky, you might get away with just cleaning / lubricating the lock and all its associated linkages and moving parts.

Ian
Thats the one Ian, it has had a squirt of WD40, which seems to be working after 48 hours. It hadn't worked properly for 3 days, car was going to garage for bit of new bumper so I asked them to look. They connected it to the computer and it read as fine, since then, touch wood, it has been fine.

It is just a pain as I had the rear door lock replaced 2 weeks ago as it had jammed in the deadlock position.

My alarm (Toad) turns off when the other doors' deadlocks are released.

Ben
The quote that was given was for everything including parts and labour.

I'm having second thoughts about taking my car to Peugeot, instead I may take it to an Auto Eelectrician, do you think an Auto Electrician will be able to sort it out?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to find the faulty wire and where was it?

Cheers.
I'm sure any reputable garage will replace the faulty harness rather than fix by soldering like me (after all, this is in a location subject to a lot of stress and I have my doubts whether my repair will stand the test of time).

But if you know what the fault is, you shouldn't have to pay the garage or electrician much for investigating it. At £40/£60 per hour, it can cost a lot just to be told "it's the harness between the A-pillar and the door."

So, for the record:
1. I disconnected the cable between the A-pillar and the driver's door at the door end, and pulled back the outer covering as much as possible.
2. I could see that three wires had cracks in their outer sheaths.
3. Tried to use my Haynes Manual wiring diagram to work out what each affected wire did (In fact, I never worked out what two of them did!).
4. Disconnected the battery to be safe (some of these wires may carry a permanent 12V supply, though I think really they are only 12V when the ignition is on).
5. Used a multimeter to test the suspect wires and found that all three had broken internally.
6. For the one wire known to be affecting the electric windows, I soldered another piece of wire across the break.
7. Used lots of insulating tape before putting everything back together.

Ian
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - Chaz
I had a problem on my 306 (1996 N reg. 3 door) where the doors kept unlocking as soon as you tried to lock them, whether you used the remote, the key or pressed the lock down from the inside.
This was due to a brocken wire on the near side door A pillar wiring harness. A speaker wire had also broken. I soldered the wires back together which was very awkward because of the lack of space and because the solder didn't like sticking to the low quality wire which was used.
The problem with the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual is they are incomplete. They show non of the dead locking part of the system. I have looked for drawings else where but have been unsuccessful.
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - Geof
I have L reg 306 that has had central locking problems on and off for some years now, operate blip and doors lock and then unlock. The first time this happened Peugeot didn't fix it as they didn't find a broken wire!
I then removed both doors and checked wires for breaks, none found. Fault was traced to poor contacts in the door connector that plugs onto the door lock - the door trim etc has to be removed to get to the connector. This has happened with both the doors over the years and by 'wiggling' the connector good contact can be made as confirmed by ohmeter. This 'fix' lasts for about a year but today I sprayed WD40 onto the connector. The door with the 'problem' is the one that when the locking button is pushed down nothing happens.
I was having a problem with the doors unlocking immediately after locking them. Here is my fix: www.bencowell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/locks.htm
There is a picture of my (bodge with elastic band and stretch tie).

Ben
Sorry, the above post is about the Xsara, which I believed had the same locking system, a fellow back roomer has emailed me saying he doesn't recognise the pics.

Ben
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - DJ OLI
I recently had the same prob with my peugeot, went to the main dealer and he quoted me at about £150 at least- he`d hav to spend approx 30 mins findin out exactly what is wrong then fixing it saying that it could cost up to £300. With what he said it could be in mind- i went home and spend approx 30 mins fixing it (soldering two wires on the inside of the door harness that had worn their way in half), never had a problem since!!

Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - DaveReed
Hi everyone, new to the forum but looks good!
Just to resurect this thread again... Had the same problem with my 306 DTS. Rather than spend the £145 on Pug to do the work I've bought the loom (-)harness for £50 (interestingly to get the loom with the harness e.g bit of rubber gaiter its about £110!)
I plan to cut the loom at the plug, pull through the A post. Insert the new loom and basically splice the new wiring onto the old (but good condition) loom. I just hope the wiring colour matches :-/ . I can't see any particular numbering on the new loom....
I let you know how I get on - if your interested that is!
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - solara
Here's a cheap workaround (bypassing auto-unlock) if you are interested...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=14...7
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - ollie2001
Just to tell you all my little story.

I\'ve got a 306 and over the years the wires in both doors had split, so when I locked the doors via plip all the doors would lock and unlock except for the drivers side and also there was no speaker connection on either side!

So I went to peugeot to grab a couple of harness\'s, because I\'m quite keen when it comes to car DIY. (I needed 2 new ones because the breaks in the old one were right at the base of the plug so quite impossible to solder them back together)

Well, to my horror they cost £50 EACH! so i decided to go to the scrap yard and picked up a couple for £5 :)

I got home and cut the entire harness off both sides and then went about connecting them all up again, it was going quite well but because there were a few bare wires I was getting sparks so decided to unconnect the battery. When I\'d finished the job, I reconnected the battery to find the alarm constantly going off and the central locking not to work at all! It was if the plip key wasn\'t there, it wouldnt stop the alarm or anything.

Long story short I took it to a \"Peugeot Dealer\" (I put it in inverted commas because I would use other words to desribe these places) and said I\'d had a go at re-wiring everything but it still wasn\'t working, so they took it for 1/2 hour and said \"yeh you need the harness\'s changing, that\'ll be £370\" and I asked if that would fix the problem and they said it \"should do\"

Well, by this stage I was pretty pink fluffy diced off...and then it dawned on me...could all this just be a little fuse? oh no i thought, peugeot would of definatley checked that! when i reach my car and check lucky fuse No.15 its blown...change that and everything works perfectly! (Oh and the speakers work as well :)

Of course I went back and got a refund, but they still insisted they check fuses before looking at anything else...yeh right!

Thanks for reading guys!
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - pug_306_xsi_8v
i have the same sort of probblem but when i banged the passenger side door it start working.now it stoped working,ive asked my mate to have a look at it,has he knows my abouts cars then me.now the central locking unit on the passenger side makes a funny noise like its dieing out.i think it mite be the central locking unit on passenger side door,but if it aint can any one tell me what else it could be.

thank you
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - chris p crisps ©
i have the same sort of probblem but when i banged
the passenger side door it start working.now it stoped working,ive asked
my mate to have a look at it,has he knows my
abouts cars then me.now the central locking unit on the passenger
side makes a funny noise like its dieing out.i think it
mite be the central locking unit on passenger side door,but if
it aint can any one tell me what else it could
be.
thank you

Had same problem on my 306 a few years ago, would also unlock itself when locked (very worrying) replaced door lock actuator was then ok

chris
thanks alot mate....is door lock actuator the bit that locks the doors.also mate you where i could i picture of one.as i need to go to car breaker.

cheers
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - chris p crisps ©
thanks alot mate....is door lock actuator the bit that locks the
doors.also mate you where i could i picture of one.as i
need to go to car breaker.
cheers

Yes actuator is bit that locks the door, mine was a company vehicle so pug dealer fitted it, from memory they said it was a fiddly job to get at. Sorry cant help you with picture.

chris
thanks mate for the info
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - Dan G
Same problem and solution as chris p crisps on my 98R 306.

Replaced actuator (£50 from dealer), but they forgot to mention a mod kit for the wiring. Got the mod kit and it's worked fine since.
cheers lads.............it was not the actutator........it was the wires had been cut in the loom in middle of door and body.....so me and my mate took the door of and soilder the qire together....i extended the cable which was broke so it has a bit more play.......
Peugeot 306 central locking problems. - joehill22
i have just bought a peugeot 306 diesel off ebay for £335, and i have had a similar problem to all of the above. my key has a button on it which i have no idea what it does. if i use my key in the drivers side it only opens the drivers side, but if i use it in the passenger side it sometimes opens all the doors but sometimes dosen't.

if i open and close and slam the passenger door a few times after the central locking not working it will eventually open the rest of the doors. i wouldn't mind not having central locking at all, considering how much i paid for the car, but i can only open the boot when the central locking unlocks it. i can lock the boot with my key, but not unlock it. any ideas?