Ford Ka - Did my Ka really get a 1st service? - KaCar

Hi all,

I looked at the oil quite a few times when running in my new petrol 1.25 59 plate Fiat Ka. It always looked brand new up until the last 2 or 3,000 miles. Then it started to look slightly dirty. Still really clean compared to say a diesel for example though.

Anyway I had it serviced at the specified 12,000 miles but forgot to look at the oil until over 14,000 miles. However, I noticed the oil looked exactly the same as it did when I checked just before the service. I expected it to look really clean again after only an extra 2,000 or so miles.

So my question is this. Is there anyway I can reliably tell if the oil was changed? And how likely is it that the main dealer didn't do anything? The oil filter does have a large identification number on it. Can I work out if the original filter is on the car from this?

The car is at 15k now and at the moment I am thinking of changing the oil myself. I wish I had marked the filter.

Many Thanks.

Ford Ka - Did my Ka really get a 1st service? - tdc

It depends on what grade/type/quality of engine oil was used at the service?

Next service,mark all the replaceable items with indelible pen or other suitable means and then you`ll know.

Always a good idea to use a garage which comes with a good recommendation from other drivers.

Ford Ka - Did my Ka really get a 1st service? - Collos25

Is the oil changed on the first service just a thought.

Thanks tdc & Andy.

I should have done some research and put a mark on the filter but I assumed a main dealer just wouldn't skip an oil change. Normally I drive old bangers and service the cars myself.

Yes it was definately due an oil change at 12K

Ford Ka - Did my Ka really get a 1st service? - boggles

If the oil has indeed been changed, that put in by the garage, could well have been darker than the previous 'Factory fill". Not always, but often, the more additive in the oil, the darker it is. "Factory fill" oil is made to a specification for the OEM, and is often "adequate" quality for a year in a new engine. Subsequent oil changes usually involve a better product.

Thanks Boggles.

Somebody else suggested this as well last night as well. I am probably being a bit paranoid I suspect. Exactly the same color though it seems which is a coincidence. Anyway I will assume all is ok for now.

Cheers.