mondeo 56 plate 2.0 tdci - tdci cold running and knocking like big ends gone - simoncbr900rr

my mondeo starts up in a morning no problem but runs a bit lumpy and has a slight misfire and sounds like a transit diesel with that knocking like the big ends are gone....once the car is warm the tickover is perfectly fine and no missing but the knocking is still there....i`ve just changed the oil and filter and put 10w-40 oil in it but it hasn`t quietened it down and it`s not affecting the performance of the car.i have replaced the thick pipe from the egr valve which had split and cleaned up the egr valve and cleaned the mass air flow sensor....when i take the vacuum pipe off the egr valve it makes no difference to the tickover is this normal?.......and i`ve just been thinking i went through a ford a couple of weeks ago and it was quite deep enough....it actually stopped the car when i`d got through it and it was about 5 mins before it would start again and i`m fairly confident the knocking has been since then but i`m not 100% on that.....any advice would be appreciated thanks alot

mondeo 56 plate 2.0 tdci - tdci cold running and knocking like big ends gone - Collos25

The only way you are going to know for sure is have a competent person look at it water ingress to a combustion engine is normally fatal.

mondeo 56 plate 2.0 tdci - tdci cold running and knocking like big ends gone - simoncbr900rr

hi thanks for the reply...when i changed the oil and filter there was no sign of water in the oil

mondeo 56 plate 2.0 tdci - tdci cold running and knocking like big ends gone - Collos25

The water goes into the air intake and to the top of the cylinders causing the damage you will not see any water in the oil .