On Board Computer Accuracy - bintang

My tank holds 11.60 gallons. The computer shows 43 mpg. This would give 499 miles. When I fill it to the brim, the computer tells me I have enough fuel for only 405 miles. What is going on?

On Board Computer Accuracy - Xantiaman

Can't comment on the range issue. But my car's computer underestimates my MPG. It tells me the car return an average of roughly 43.5mpg. As I usually brim the tank, I know the actual return varies between 46 to 47mpg.

Not sure how the computer calculates range and consumption but presume it cannot do this with complete accuracy.

On Board Computer Accuracy - Armitage Shanks {p}

SFAIK the computer calculates your range based on the fuel consumption you have achieved in the last 30 to 40 miles you have driven. This can lead to errors!

On Board Computer Accuracy - colinh

"...calculates your range based on the fuel consumption you have achieved in the last 30 to 40 miles..."

Maybe the theory, but in my previous car, a Golf, it could vary wildly depending on every up and down in the road. Could be very misleading on a long descent by showing 100+ miles and then you got to the bottom and on the level, and would then show less than 20.

My current cee`d doesn't increase the range when descending, and does seem to take a longer-term average

On Board Computer Accuracy - Armstrong Sid

Surely you can get both, depending on your settings which can be user-adjusted. At least on my Focus you can.

So I recognise both scenarios which people have mentioned here. I can set it to show me the average consumption I've had over the last 30/40 miles; or I can set it to show me the instantaneous figure where I've seen anything from 0-99 mpg

Edited by Armstrong Sid on 29/08/2010 at 16:50

On Board Computer Accuracy - Xantiaman

Surely you can get both, depending on your settings which can be user-adjusted. At least on my Focus you can.

Yes, my Signum shows instantaneous figure along with two averages. I haven't changed one since getting the car so that shows an average calculated over 50,000miles.

I don't take the instantaneous figure at face value, but get a flat stretch of road put the car on cruise control and it really demonstrates the better consumption achieved by dropping 10mph off your speed.

Edited by Xantiaman on 29/08/2010 at 17:19

On Board Computer Accuracy - bathtub tom

I use mine as a rough guide. Using the 'fill to brim' method, the difference between the on board computer and calculated figures can vary by more than 10% either way.

On Board Computer Accuracy - Roly93

I,ve never tested the remaining mileage part of my Audi on-board computer, but the MPG is pretty accurate compared to a brim to brim measurement, I'd say within .5mpg.