Citroen Xsara HDi Coupe - JimmyB
Hi,

I've been offered a brand new Xsara Coupe HDi for £9,600 and wondered if its a good deal? Its fully loaded - Air-con, 6 CD, Cruise Control (I think), alloys etc.

I've been told that it has an 80bhp engine, although when I checked on the Citroen site, it indicates that it has the Peugeot 110bhp engine. Can anyone confirm the existence of a 1.9HDi 80bhp and also let me know you rate the 110bhp?

Thanks,

James
Citroen Xsara HDi Coupe - RichardW
HDi engine is either 90BHP (no intercooler) or 110 BHP (with intercooler). My guess is that with the other things this will be a 110 version.

My Dad bought a 90 LX from Citroen for 9995 a few months ago, so 9600 sounds pretty good to me. He rates the engine - it's very quiet, good on fuel, and pulls well. I'd imagine the 110 in a Xsara would be interesting, and should use the same, or possibly even less, fuel.

Richard
Thanks for that,

I actually meant a 2.0HDi, not a 1.9 :-)

James
The plot thickens...

The car is sourced from Ireland, where the HDi Coupe is only 90bhp as opposed to an English model which is 110bhp, so say the Citroen English and Irish websites.

Does anyone know why the power output would be lower in Ireland?

Thanks,

James
Citroen Xsara HDi Coupe - Ian Cook
The plot thickens...
The car is sourced from Ireland, where the HDi Coupe is
only 90bhp as opposed to an English model which is 110bhp,
so say the Citroen English and Irish websites.
Does anyone know why the power output would be lower in
Ireland?
Thanks,
James

Perhaps there's not enough anticipated demand for 110bhp model in Eire, or else there might be tax or insurance benefits. It's not just the power output that's different, however. The 90bhp version also has slightly lower gearing - something like 27mph/1000rpm instead of about 30mph/1000rpm. (in other words about 10%).

The 110hp engine is superb (in the Xantia, anyway) and a pal has the 90bhp version in his Picasso and rates it very highly. It's not as punchy as the latest panzerwagens, but it is very refined.
;-)

Ian Cook
Citroen Xsara HDi Coupe - DavidHM
Different engines, different specs in different countries. There's no technical reason, just that Citroën have chosen to offer the 90 bhp version in Ireland and the 110 in the UK.

£9,600 is an okay price but it's not the most stylish car ever is it? And if it's a foreign spec it will be hard to sell on. If you want a Xsara you're not bothered about style - just get a discounted UK 5 door from a broker for the same money.

Drivethedeal.com has a UK 110 bhp Coupé for a grand more, as well. Failing that, Trade Sales has a Focus TDCi Ghia for £11k. A bit more, sure, but you'll get all of that back in 3 years.
I agree, although it is the VTR spec, so has the styling kit and the nice alloys etc.

Still really want that Ibiza TDi Sport instead, too much £££ though :-(

James
Citroen Xsara HDi Coupe - DavidHM
Motorpoint has a couple of Beezer TDi Sports in grey coming in. £11k, if you're interested.
Citroen Xsara HDi Coupe - Phil G
Although cheap new, the Xsara will shed its value like its going out of fashion. I would really recommend something VAG based or a Focus, you will see much more money when you come to sell it on.
So the Focus holds its value OK then? I've never really followed the pricing on them. Is that new TDCi just a rebadged VW TDi-PD?

James
Citroen Xsara HDi Coupe - Ian Cook
I would really recommend something VAG based
or a Focus, you will see much more money when you
come to sell it on.

>>

Phil - I think it depends on what the buyer values most. I'm quite happy to buy the car I want and run it for 5+ years. So if I can buy it reasonably cheaply then I'm not too bothered about a bit more depreciation, spread over this period.

The point is, *I* will be using and enjoying the car. I'm not buying it for the next owner.

Ian Cook
Ian,

I agree - you have to buy a car to enjoy it for yourself, not worry too much about who has it next (although some concern is needed if you want it to keep some value). The person who got my old Saxo would have got an immaculate purchase for his £7k (although ripped off somewhat as I only paid about £6,600 for it) :-)

James