head gasket?? - duggie
Hi, l have a peugeot 405 sti 2ltr, l removed the oil filler cap and inside the cap was a small amount of what looked like elusifying fluid, this was only a small small amount, could this be anything other than the head gasket leaking? no coolantloss,
any ideas or suggestions??
Duggie
head gasket?????????/// - rg
Duggie,

Does it get many long runs?

rg
head gasket?????????/// - NormanB
IMHO this may not be the head gasket. The question about short runs is pertinent also:

1. Is the engine reaching operating temperature (don't trust the dash gauge)could be lazt thermostat.

2. Is the engine breather system clear (not familiar with your car).
NormanB
head gasket?????????/// - NormanB
Lazy not lazt! - sorry my spulling ....
head gasket?????????/// - duggie
Hi Rob, the car is used by my wife who only does short runs, maybe 5-8 miles to work and then obviously return journey.
head gasket?????????/// - james_60
oil filler cap and inside the cap was a small amount
of what looked like elusifying fluid, this was only a small
small amount, could be anything other than the head gasket
leaking? no coolantloss,
any ideas or suggestions

hi

it wont be the head gasket

it needs a good run down the motorway

all it is, is condensation thats formed in the rocker cover when the metal cools down

i have had the same prob gave it the italien tune

ran the car down the motorway doin 70-80in 4th rather than 5th clears all the cobwebs in the engine and burns off all the rubbish

try it

trust our oppinions
James Stephenson
head gasket?????????/// - Dizzy {P}
I agree with the responses from others. The top of the engine is almost certainly not getting hot enough to evaporate the water that is always there with the gases in the engine and 'mayonnaising' is the result. It is extremely unlikely that there is a head gasket problem.

The top of the engine can be too cool either through short runs or, very occasionally, because cold air is directly hitting the rocker cover and taking away the heat. In this case, I would say that it is short runs that are causing it and it wouldn't be a bad idea to occasionally use the car for a longer run.

It could be a breather or thermostat problem as Norman mentioned, but I think he would agree that, now we know that the car does short runs, these are almost certainly the cause.