Jaguar S-Type - Mystery Engine Seizure - hibernianscribe1

Recovery garage (in Dubai and not the Jaguar dealer) is claiming I have a seized engine - I am astonished since car was running perfectly - I had done a run of about 150 km with nothing untoward. Not the slightest indication of overheating and in view of my location and previous problems on that score I always keep an eye on the temp gauge and it was absolutely normal. Also absolutely no 'restricted performance' mode. No loss of oil and all other fluids normal. Car has been meticulously serviced every 8000 km by the main agent since I bought it new. There has been no excess burning of oil or strange unexplained symptoms prior to this event.

I parked and switched off the engine - everything was normal and I was away for about 5 minutes - when I returned and tried to restart it, the engine turned once, did not fire and then there was (I think) a slight clunk or chink and the hint of a mechanical winding-down sound for maybe a second, no more than two (difficult to describe but that is my closest shot). Subsequent efforts to start the car resulted in a very sluggish attempt to turn the engine, hence my initial thoughts that it was the battery which is five years old and in the car since I bought it. After attempts to jump start and purchase of a new battery I then believed the problem was the starter but the garage said no and after keeping the car for five days to 'investigate' has now told me he thinks the crankshaft is seized.

Am inclined to think (and very much hope) he is wrong and am wondering whether he has an ulterior motive behind his diagnosis. From the total lack of symptoms and the slight mechanical noise when the engine failed to start I wonder whether something has sheared within the engine to stop it turning.

Outside temperature that afternoon was 45 deg C but that is quite normal for this part of the world and the car is M/E spec. I'm baffled - PLEASE - ANY IDEAS?

Jaguar S-Type - Mystery Engine Seizure - madf

I suspect a starter motor pinion issue: disintegrating and bits jammed in flywheel housing: hence the sounds you heard.

Crankshaft seized? possible but chances of it seizing on turning over with starter are very very very very slight.

Jaguar S-Type - Mystery Engine Seizure - injection doc

Diesel / Petrol / I guess petrol, engine size / timing chain failure sounds like ?

Jaguar S-Type - Mystery Engine Seizure - WellKnownSid

What year is the car? How many miles? Which engine?

The pre-2000-ish V8s had a bit of a reputation for the secondary tensioners breaking, and it took Jaguar a couple of goes before they finally got them right.