Advice on a cheap to run commute car - Andrew James

Hello

This is my first post on the forum and I was wondering if there was any consensus as to a cheap to run, comfortable commute car that would be happy with 70 miles per day. Now I've had a look through the FAQ, ran a search on similar posts and not actually come up with anything that was terribly helpful. Probably because everyone wants something different.

Anyway, due to a change in career it looks increasingly likely that I will have to commute to work, at least for the time being. I used to be able to bike in as work was only 5 miles away and so I kept my 1992 Scirocco for weekends and shows. I still want to keep the Scirocco, I just don't want to use it for everyday driving and not just because of the 35 mpg I get on a good day! What I'm looking for is something small (C2, Fiesta, Polo etc), low tax bracket, cheap to run and on a budget of about £2000. I don't want to spend too much as it will only be in possession until such time that relocation allows me to take to self-powered 2 wheels again. BTW, I'm not fussed about either diesel or petrol, both are horrendously priced, I just need something that will get good mpg and is comfortable to drive.

Thanks in adavnce fo the advice and ensuing debate on what seems to be a crowded topic.

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - Dutchie

Hello Andrew what is out there for £2000? One owner car eldery couple its all about condition private sale you could be lucky the majority of small cars are relative cheap to run ,what is cheap for one person is expensive by another.I would have a look in the private ads see whats out there you seem to know a bit about cars running a older volkswagon,maybe look for a vw polo but for 2000 pound its always a bit of a gamble.I hope this is a little bit helpful and good luck:)

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - Avant

Welcome to the forum!

As always at this end of the market, condition is more important than make or model. You may pay a bit more from a dealer, but you do get some protection through the Sale of Goods Act.

Don't go for a diesel even if you have a long commute: as they get older, diesels may be liable to major, expensive failure. Try to find one that's appears to have been well looked after, and if possible a service record. If you have an independent dealer who looks after your Scirocco, maybe he could look out for something for you.

If you want some form of a steer as to what to look for, I'd suggest Fiesta, Polo, Fabia or Yaris. I'd be wary of anything French: there are plenty of good ones, but they are more vulnerable to abuse by previous owners.

Good luck!

Edited by Avant on 22/08/2010 at 00:21

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - Damper

I drive a 2001 Fiesta 1.25 (last of the MK5's) at the moment, its good on fuel, nippy enough, and keeps up with motorway traffic, I have driven many 600 mile round trips in this car. Even at 9 years old it had a nice positive gearchange and handles well. There are lots out there to choose from, available privately and from independant dealers. There are also still a few popping up at Ford main dealers from time to time. Another advantage is the huge dealer network and availability of parts. It has never let me down and I am always confident it will get me to my destination. One thing to watch for though is the dreaded rust, they seem to go around the rear arches and on the sills, I expect you would not have such rusting issues with a Fabia/Yaris/Polo.

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - Glenn 42

I don't know if this might be a bit big for you, but my sister bought a 52 plate Rover 45 Turbodiesel for £ 2000 with a FSH and average miles. Unlike the petrol K series, this engine isn't known for head gasket failures and oil leaks and has the advantage of returning over 50 mpg and being a good long distance cruiser. Also you have the pleasant interior ambience of a Rover and the car looks good.

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - SteveLee
Late Rover 45s (and MG ZSs) can be bargains, they were very reliable having particularly low warranty claims for the class, this was due to the fact that they were an old model (two generation previous Civic then) under the skin, all the bugs had been ironed out years ago. The diesels are great, the late petrols would have had the (finally!) cured K-series which is very frugal also. Late- K-series cars only tend to have headgasket issues through neglect, keep the coolant topped up and change it every three years you should be fine. Of course even the "fixed" K-series had issues in certain cars - this lightweight, efficient engine was never designed to lug whacking great SUVs along. On the plus side the low coolant capacity means almost instant heat from the heater in the winter.

Obviously this applies to the Rover 25 too which is the hatchback variant.

If running costs are the #1 issue, I'd buy a Daihatsu Sirion, you can pick up really nice examples for £2K, they sip fuel and they just don't break down. The interior and general comfort won't match the Rovers as these are smaller (class) cars, however they are superb (if slightly basic) little cars with surprisingly roomy interiors. Expect 50+mpg and metronomic reliability - surprisingly nippy too, even in the 1 litre form, thanks to the crisp-packet kerb weight.
Advice on a cheap to run commute car - barneybear

I almost reported this comment as offensive. Why would a previous owner of a French made car be more likley to abuse a car than say a Rover? I've owned Citroens and now claim fame to x3 Renaults. All of which have been well cared for and proved very reliable, comfortable and, as a result, cheap to run vehicles. They have not been thrashed, they have been cleaned and well used to ferry children, their friends, camping kit or stuff to the tip. We have been to weddings and funerals, holidays and of course shopping. They have never been abused. I can't claim the Espace was cheap on fuel, but the Megane certainly is, and a Clio is safe as well frugal. Still you could always listen to the genteal, slipper-shod, pipe-smoking Rover brigade......

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - madf

EASY . Do a search on Autotrader <60k miles, £1 to £2k

> 10 years old.

You will find any number of one owner low mileage immaculate cars..

All the rest are dross and unworthy of discussion.. Hint old f#rts who drive low mileages and look after cars usually buy Honda or Toyota. A 30k miles Civic or Starlet or Corolla is easily achievable for under £2k.

And much better designed and built and more reliable than any alternatives.

And unwanted and unloved by buyers. So cheap.

Simples.

Edited by madf on 24/08/2010 at 11:01

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - primeradriver
Didn't think that was the point barneybear -- I took the comment to mean that French cars don't take abuse as well as, say, Japanese ones do.

And I think this is fair comment: A French car should be OK if it's looked after, but some Japmobiles keep going even when they aren't cared for properly. French cars don't seem to take the abuse too well (but if you find a good one, go for it).

And when you consider that a lot of French cars are considered "cool" whereas the Japanese ones aren't, you find a situation where the better-built car can be cheaper at this age. But I wouldn't be looking at Toyotas and Hondas; like Citroens (which have never been as coveted as the Pugs and Renaults), Mitsubishis and Nissans tend to be dirt-cheap, and solid as well.

Personally though I'd be inclined to buy on condition rather than marque at this price point. It's no use buying a car you like the look of -- get one that does the job, as everyone is after the "nice" car and as a result they sell for more.

Buy the car that falls into the cracks; the Citroen Xsaras, the Kia Ceratos, the Mitsubishi Lancers, the Nissan Almeras of this world.

I have learned through bitter experience that allowing peer pressure to influence your decision when buying a car (a Focus in my case) can end in tears -- literally for me. Ignore the looks, ignore the badge, buy the car that's the right price, the right condition, and make sure it's comfortable over a reasonable distance.
Advice on a cheap to run commute car - Avant

"Why would a previous owner of a French made car be more likely to abuse a car than say a Rover?"

They wouldn't, of course. The point I was making, which I hoped was clear, was that IF an owner abuses a car, French cars tend not to take abuse as well as a Japanese car. That surely isn't the same thing as saying that drivers of French cars are more likely to abuse them - less so if anything.

I had seven reliable Renaults in a row between 1980 and 2001, the last three of which each (Espace, Safrane and Laguna V6) did over 100,000 miles.

Edited by Avant on 25/08/2010 at 23:57

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - craig-pd130

Fiat Puntos up to 2006 are pretty cheap, very robust (we've had two in the past 15 years), cheap to run and the basic 1.2 motor gives 35+ mpg. Nippy too (certainly when my wife drives hers ...!)

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - Rattle

You might be able to get an early 2004ish Panda for that price. Always do well in the surveys. Mine has brilliant but then its only just got over 800 miles on the clock :p.

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - primeradriver
35? I get 45 out of a Focus (1.6 petrol).

35 was what I got out of an ancient Daewoo. That can't be right.
Advice on a cheap to run commute car - craig-pd130

ha, you probably don't drive like my wife does.

She's the Michelle Mouton of Macclesfield .... the throttle is either WFO or shut :-D

Advice on a cheap to run commute car - mrmender

get yourself another rocco you know it makes sense! ive got 3 better than all this modern carp they recomend!