vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - tazmania4580

i purchased a warranty with warranty direct and had to claim two weeks ago. they have phoned me today telling me that they have recieved their engineers report and they are not covering me because the turbo blew up through wear and tear. my policy with them covers wear and tear , turbo etc with no get out clauses

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - Armitage Shanks {p}

Get back to them and quote the exact wording from the relevant part of your policy document seems like a good start!

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - bonzo dog

You haven't said when you bought the policy.

The reason I say this is WD are very specific, open & clear that wear & tear is not covered in the first 90 days.

How long after the policy purchase did you make a claim?

im 5 months into the policy. nothing is covered in the first 90 days of a new policy with them, im waiting for a phone call today from theire manager. the turbo blew into bits wear would be the bearings or seals failing, ive quoted theire wording on the policy and i wont let it drop

Edited by tazmania4580 on 10/08/2010 at 09:01

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - Dave N

According to their web site- "All Warranty Direct polices protect you against failure caused by wear & tear because parts can fail due to wear & tear at anytime". Send an email to HJ as he's always saying how good they are.

i did send a message to hj last night m8 hope i did it rite lol, no reply yet, just want to warn people that it isnt as good as wd make out

well no phone call from wd as promised, did have an email from hj so im hopeing that he can sort it out for me

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - concrete

I too had a recent claim against my policy with WD. Not all plain sailing by any means. Eventually got my cheque. They are not as hot at handling claims and payment as they are when they are trying to sell you a policy. Complaints procedure pretty useless, their interpretation of a good level of service and mine are very different indeed. They caused me no end of problems when they took over 5 hours to approve a simple replacement part. By the time they authorised this the next day delivery cut off point was passed and I was left without a car for an extra 2 days, not good when it is a business tool. They refused point blank to accept they were slow or contribute to my transport cost which was caused by them. If I had the time I would have taken them to court, but maybe I will vote with my feet next time. WD need a good shake up and HJ might just be the man to do it. Best of luck with your claim. Concrete

hi m8, had a phone call today from them saying they will now pay for the turbo but not the intercooler cos its not covered, just been reading my policy and guess what it is covered it says turbo, intercooler, wastegate. do they know what they are talking about

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - Armitage Shanks {p}

The words you quote do not mention the intercooler so it isn't covered.

on the wd site theres a page that says ''what is covered'' it states turbo, intercooler, wastegate page 5 on this link www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/ExtraCare.pdf

Edited by tazmania4580 on 12/08/2010 at 23:05

They're just the same as any other insurance - keen and quick to take your money while promising the earth, then mean, stingy, unhelpful, uncooperative and sometimes uncontactable when you want some of their money.

But here's a thought. Get hold of the Lucy girl and get her on the case. Of course, you'll be buying an insurance policy from her also, One of HJ's favourite people/company, fighting another of his personal favourites. Should be interesting.

your so rite m8, got trading standards on to it now just had enough of them. they state whats covered on paper then try and get out of it. i paid my policy in full
vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - Collos25

Why do people waste money on such products they are insurance companies and such are there purely to rip the customer off.Garages hate them I know of two that will not touch a mechanical failure if it is to be paid for by an Insurance company they are late payers and try to barter the price down after giving the go ahead.

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - LucyBC
A warranty is an insurance product - and as with any insurance policy it is based on agreement which specifies the terms on which they will pay out.

You need to check your policy thoroughly and then talk it through with them. If you feel they are not honouring it then you may need legal assistance and should come back to me. It is disputes just such as this which mean every motorist should have proper legal cover like the one we provide through www.autosure.eu - not the junk policies sold with most motor insurance.

Warranty cover was notoriously dodgy some years ago when several companies had so many exclusions written into their policies that a successful claim was a rarity. But now there are at least two players in the market - one of which is Warranty Direct - who offer a decent level of cover at a reasonable price.

But in response to Andy's point I deal with many cases where there has been serious mechanical failure in a vehicle and in some of them at least the person concerned is struggling to pay a four figure bill and cannot recover their vehicle from the repairer until they have paid it.

Not everyone has access to unlimited credit and an unexpected high cost repair can be financially devastating - even more so if they need the vehicle for work.

In these cases a previously existing warranty would have often been a very good idea for both the vehicle owner and the garage.

As to the attitude of garages it is inevitable the warranty company will attempt to negotiate the best price. I have no idea as to speed of payment but they do provide certainty of payment which must be very welcome to many garages in a difficult financial climate.

If any garage owner is willing to turn business away because they don't like warranty companies then that is up to them but is hardly a reason not to buy a warranty - there are plenty of other garages who will be pleased to get the work.

Edited by LucyBC on 13/08/2010 at 11:49

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - WD

Tazmania4580 I have taken a look at your claim and the reasons we gave for the initial rejection were based on the observations of an independant qualified engineer.

The engineer confirmed there had been a failure (he found it was due to that the oil seals and main central shaft bearing within the turbo) and stated this failure was down to wear and tear. HOWEVER this failure had been further aggravated by the vehicle being driven on - hence it "blew into bits".

It was believed that the fault would have been present at the time of inception of the policy and would certainly have been manifesting itself within the first 90 days of the policy. This was the reason for the initial rejection.

As you mentioned previously you were unhappy with this decision and spoke to the complaints department here. They agreed that the problem was a wear and tear issue but due to the fact that there was no explicit evidence to prove that there had been a concern within the first 90 days we agreed to consider the turbo as the fault had occurred outside the 90 days (the 98th day).

If I am correct you believe that damage done to your intercooler should have been covered. The turbo's oil seals failed (resulting in the bearings seizing and it blowing to bits!) which in turn contaminated the intercooler. If you look at p9 section 13 failure of insured or uninsured parts due to contamination is not covered.

You should have already been made aware of all of this. We believe we have been fair thus far with your claim based on the facts we have seen.

the car was not driven on as you state and without stripping the turbo at the time of purchasing the vehicle i wouldnt know that the turbo was on its way out so surley thats what wear and tear cover is, and im sure that the motorbike rider, off duty police officer and r.a.c patrol man that stopped to assist me would also say that i stopped my car very quickly and didnt drive on

Edited by Avant on 13/08/2010 at 19:49

Ha, surely the wear and tear of the turbo seals started the first time the car engine was started when brand new. How is an owner supposed to know when the wear is near critical upon purchasing a car? After all, isn't that why you have a 90 day period?

The WD website bangs on about other companies dubious use of wear and tear, and then have the cheek to use the same excuse with their own customers. Even worse, they're claiming wear and tear for 98 days previously.

The other great claim on the WD website is the use by other companies of 'weasel words'. Then they turn down a claim for the intercooler because they don't cover 'contamination' of an item, caused by the failure of an insured item. Weasel words indeed.

So the guy buys a car, without any knowledge that the turbo seals were going to let go in 98 days time, and buys the WD product to cover himself for most unforseen mechanical problems. 98 days later, said problems happen quickly and suddenly, and he then struggles to get the cover he thought he had purchased. Reluctantly they agree to the initial cause, but then resort to the small print to refuse payment for something else that came about as a direct result of the first problem.

Warranty Direct, why don't you just do the decent thing and pay to fix the guy's car properly and completely?

and as for p9 section 13, what a load of rubbish, my intercooler, and cat whent as a result of an insured part failing, the wording on section 13 relates to the intercooler breaking on its own,

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - ajb1

This answer appalls me. I have Skoda Superb and the Manufacturer's Warranty runs out next year.

We take huge care of our car, giving it only the best oil and fuel. I was genuinely planning to take out a Warranty Direct Policy - and one of my main reasons for this were to cover the Turbo and because I thought Warranty Direct had an honest policy ahd did not rely on weasel words to avoid providing meaningful cover on such things.

And here, as far as I can see, however having read what was written, even if I put the most generous interpretation possible on what you say - I see Warranty Direct using Weasel words and/or contract terms to get out of most the claim following a busted Turbo.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of what your contract might say, what this says to me is that if I pay Warranty Direct my money, I am not going to get what I want - a USEFUL warranty that covers me properly if my Turbo fails.

And on that basis - Warranty Direct, you have just lost a potential new customer. Sorry.

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - Avant

As a warranty is a contract, either party is entitled to stick to the stated terms, and if a warranty company has stated its exclusions, it will stick to them.

I suggest that if anyone takes out a used car warranty, you should:

- read the policy from cover to cover

- make a list, in two columns, of what is covered and what is excluded

- decide whether you can live with the exclusions (imagine making a claim)

- ring the company if anything isn't clear. If they won't let you spek to a human being, don't buy from them (that applies to all insurance companies!).

Hopefully this may avoid the unpleasant surprise of having what you consider a justified claim turned down.

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - bathtub tom

Is the intercooler damaged, or does it just need flushing out to remove oil?

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - nortones2

Reading para 13 page 9, on which WD direct rely. It states "breakdown or damage caused by frost, water, freezing liquids, carbon build up, corrosion, oxidation, blockages, contaminants building up, sludge or silt, or other waste matter that has prevented the parts from working properly." Now my reading of how this might be interpreted is that the exclusion relates mainly to defects building up over a period of time. Certainly the word contaminants is accompanied by the phrase "building up". Thus i'd distinguish this scenario from the results of a defect caused by a warranted article which has failed catastrophically and suddenly. Casings are so covered. Therfore, a strong argument that the intercooler damage is of a like nature. Ejusdem generis is the latin tag. I now retire to the barrack room:)

Edited by nortones2 on 13/08/2010 at 21:59

thank you dave n, i was starting to think i was on my own and going crazy. im realy angry with wd that they acuse me of driving my car when the turbo blew. as i changed into 4th gear it went, loss of power plumes of black smoke behind me. i put the car into neutral as quick as humanly possible and coasted to the side of the road and stopped, a biker, off duty police man and rac patrol stopped to assist me. wd state no get out clauses beleive me theres loads. in the policy booklet page 5 '' whats covered '' turbo, intercooler,wastegate,actuator. then following page uses big words not to cover intercooler etc,etc. i asked what will happen if my new turbo fails cos of the intercooler will you again cover the new turbo wd reply was no cos you havent replaced the intercooler. so im stuck with a big bill that i have to borrow the money to pay for e.g intercooler 307.00 , cat unknown yet, x2 lots of oil filters, towing fee and flush and labour probably 600.00 or more. i trusted davey from wd when he phoned me i purchased and paid for the policy in full. i havent been able to work for the last seven years due to a tumour on my spine, but for ten years i did voluntary work over 20 hrs a week as a special constable ''il wait for the abuse now lol'' along side my full time job as a senior quality tech.

Warranty Direcxt themselves say the following:

With alternative warranties disputes often arise in respect of wear & tear because they incorporate a "wear & tear" exclusion clause. At the time of any claim it is all too easy for the administrator to refuse your claim by saying; "of course it's broken, the car's done 40,000 miles and it's worn out."

Some companies have also started offering the option to pay extra for "premature wear" cover , we believe that such cover does not treat the customer fairly and is a "weasel word". Don't be confused by anyone offering you a warranty which mentions "premature wear"

All Warranty Direct polices protect you against failure caused by wear & tear because parts can fail due to wear & tear at anytime. Consider these facts, the average motorist covers about 10,000 miles per year so by the end of the normal 3 year manufacturer warranty the vehicle has covered about 30,000 miles - yet 44% of vehicles require repairs in year 4 and many of these repairs can be attributed to 'wear & tear.' So beware of any policy that doesn't offer, or even suggests you don't need, wear & tear cover and always pay any extra demanded if wear & tear is unwisely promoted as an option.

If you are extending an existing warranty or we have inspected it prior to coming on cover - your wear & tear protection will start from day one - otherwise your vehicle's wear & tear cover will start after the first 90 days. We adopt this policy because our years of experience have shown that wear & tear failures arising in the first 90 days on cover are almost always pre-existing faults that were apparent before the vehicle came on cover. Upon renewal, this cover obviously applies from day one. This policy is unique to Warranty Direct and reflects our position as industry leaders for customer service and satisfaction.

If your vehicle has a mileage of less than 60,000 we will pay the full cost of parts and labour. For vehicles over 60,000, the table below shows the percentage we will pay depending on the vehicle's mileage at the time of breakdown. We always pay the labour cost in full.

Mileage Parts Labour Up to 60,000 miles 100% 100% Up to 70,000 miles 90% 100% Up to 80,000 miles 80% 100% Up to 90,000 miles 70% 100% Up to 100,000 miles 60% 100% Over 100,000 miles 50% 100%

Our simple chart lets you know exactly where you stand from day one, avoiding dispute and annoyance on your part. Some companies will cover you against wear & tear and then exclude 'normal deterioration' - watch the small print.

A good example of a wear related failure is a failed water pump, which is as a result of worn bearings This type of claim will be rejected by a warranty policy that does not cover failure caused by wear & tear.

Edited by Avant on 16/08/2010 at 17:48

intercooler is contaminated so every mechanic ive asked even vw say change it, if i dont change it wd wont cover me

Tazmania - who wrote the post two up from here starting "With alternative warranties...." ? It's in your name but it looks as if you're quoting from somewhere.

We want to help you as much as we can but we have to be careful not to advertise anything unofficially.

its from warranty direct advert, is that ok

OK - I'l edit it and make that clear. Otherwise we get complaints!

ok thanks

I don't think they are saying don't change it - just that they are currently asserting that the intercooler failed because the turbo failure cased the damage to it and their engineers report suggests you drove on after the turbo blew.They have agreed to pay for the turbo damage but are currently not agreeing to replace the intercooler because they believe there may be an element of contributory negligence on their part. They quote the section in the policy on which they are relying.

If you do not belive there was then you need to assert that to them in a formal letter and argue out your case, supporting it with evidence from others if necessary.

hi lucy, it was impossible to drive the car when the turbo blew because of the amount of black smoke that was coming out of the backend of the car and loss of power. they are paying for the turbo, oil and filter plus 4.7hrs labour so by the end of this im left with a bill of. intercooler 300.00 longlife oil/filter 45.00 flush 18.00 recovery fee not known yet, cat 595.00 labour 200.00 maybe more total 1158.00 probably over 1200 with the tow fee so im paying more than them like they told me on the phone if i dont change the intercooler they will void any future claims, not that i will be dealing with them again as for the engineers report talk about get out clauses and weasel words there they are in the reply from wd themselves.

maybe i should have just slammed the brakes on and caused a mass pile up on the road i was on because that would have been the only quicker way to stop

Edited by tazmania4580 on 17/08/2010 at 18:01

What I am saying is you need to argue your case with them. The comment above was from one of their customer service people. It seems they are open to possible discussion.

hi lucy, and thanks again for your reply.

ive spent all of last week on the phone 3 times per day to them 'vicky beesley' to the point it made me ill, ive stated the facts to them e.g the intercooler and cat being contaminated because of the turbo failing but no joy with them, i know im correct in what im saying , people reading my posts also know im rite but wd wont admit this fact just like dave n post telling wd to do the honest thing and repair my vehicle like it says on my policy, im worried sick how much this is going to cost me.
i read the policy before i paid for it in full and fell for it,

thats over 1200 potential customers that have viewed this topic just on this site and may have been put off now. for the sake of covering my intercooler i would have been happy .

if honest john hadnt contacted them they would not have paid for anything thats a fact because they quoted the website to me.

Edited by tazmania4580 on 19/08/2010 at 17:27

Hi Taz, I may be mis-reading you, if so appologies but you do yourself no favours with the layout of some of your facts. For example I asked you how long after purchase did you make the claim. You stated 5 months. Well 5 months = 150 days & lets be generous & say you mean less the 2 weeks before your first post = 136 days. This is more than a month out of the 98 days that is now been stated. You will struggle to get sympathy from anyone other than the "all special coppers & INSURANCE COMPANIES are b******s" brigade by exaggerating your side of the story

Saying that, I am genuinely stunned that WD are claiming that oil comtamination of a covered part due to failure of a coverd part is not included.

It would help your case if you could provide evidence of the recovery; can you?

bonzo....i was 98 days into the policy, doesnt matter if it was 91 0r 101. i miss read what you were asking , myself and others have gone over the policy and agree that wd are in the wrong, once this is proven may take a year, i will send the outcome to hj and request that he passes a copy on to you by post. trading standards have taken this on so evidence of the recovery...........yes i can.

also thank you for your oppinion on special constables, nice to know that someone appreciated me giving up my time for the community.

Hi Taz, the point on your wording was meant to help:- I have much experience of many people putting in fraudulent insurance claims & as a rule those that shout loudest or exaggerate are usually the ones doing so.

I asked about the recovery evidence in case you had not thought of this tack - you have done so, good.

The comment on the special constables was my attempt at humour. I should have put in a smiley & sincerely appologise for any hurt felt. I view all police, regular, special or PCSO as invaluable to our society

Good luck

hi bonzo, sorry m8 im stressed out with it all, when i bought the car i thought it would be a good idea to take out a warranty after seeing the advert on t.v etc, i had the car sometime in march and purchased the warranty in april. the care had its m.o.t in the first week of june and passed with flying colours. if i was pulling a fast one how did i take the car for an m.o.t '' record of this with vosa'' and do mileage during may , june , july , august, etc during the m.o.t they rev diesels pretty high for the smoke test if the turbo had been faulty it would have smoked like hell so the turbo was fine at that time for sure. im under no illusions that some people take out a warranty after theire car developes a fault but im not one of them. sorry again for snapping at you, i thought you were having a go.

- warranty direct - 3adol72

Hi , I just bought an R class mercedes CDI 7 years old with 110000 miles / full dealer Service history , the car very well maintained and in very good condition in and out . I purchased 2 days ago a WD cover including wear and tear(W&Tcover after 90 day) . reading all the above and other reviews , i started having doubts if the WD warranty have any added value ?

I paid 700 pounds and i don't want to end up chasing them for each claim . I understand thinks might changes since 2010 but i would be grateful for any one feedback and if there are any particular conditions or closes need to be negotiated with WD to get a better deal Or if there are any other providers who can provide a better service

- warranty direct - Simon
After market warranties are hardly worth the paper that they are written on by my reckoning, they aren't there to just pay you back out on a whim, that's not how they make money. Expect to have to jump through many hoops if you even think about trying to claim on it. Plus even if you do manage to claim for a failed component, any subsequent damage done to other items caused by the first failure is rarely covered. If I am wrong I am sure someone will be along to correct me...
- warranty direct - 3adol72

Hi Simon

Many thanks for the reply , I think i will clarify with them many points before the 14 day passed by , otherwise it is a catch 21 , all the part are failing because of other influence , for example compressors and alternators can fail because of bearings and can result of cam belt to snap and may damage the engine ,if i understand your commnet correct in this case they will cover only the bearing on the compressor or the compressor it self .

but how a car user /driver can predict all this if the car i passed MOT and service checks?

vw golf 2.0tdi - warranty direct - Craig G

I had a gearbox fali on an A8 8 days after having a through pre trip service by an Audi main dealer. After some inital calls WD refused to do anything until I had the gearbox disassembled for their engineers report (even through I got a formal letter from Audi UK stating that in their professional opinion this would not be a wear and tear item) - this would cost more than a replacement box and the wouldn't cover this cost.

After a 3 year battle going through their labyrinthine complainst procedure and complaining to the underwritters at Lloyds of London I eventually reached a 50/50 compromise.

My suggestion either:

A) Accept the way they work and move on with your life

B) Buy yourself a cheap runaround and prepare for a long hard battle that you won't fully win.

These days I "self insure" warranty wise putting a sum away every month.

(Edit - I've had to delete a couple of potentially actionable comments, but your last line is something well worth considering. Some elderly friends of ours do that instead of paying the earth for private health insurance.)

Edited by Avant on 18/06/2013 at 21:15