wipers - Squeaky - bluenun

This might seem like a silly question but it is driving me mad.

I replaced the original wiper blades with new ones last year.

My windscreen wipers squeak quite loudly only when the windscreen is wet, they do not squeak when the screen is dry.

Is there a way I can stop the squeaking blades?

wipers - Squeaky - Robin the Technician

Hi, this is usually caused by cheap blades. I've had the same experience, but since changing to Trico i've had no problems.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

wipers - Squeaky - bluenun

Thanks for the reply.

I had a feeling it was due to the quality of the blades that I bought from a parts shop.

Maybe I should have gone for the ford ones but I expect they are pricey.

I will look into the Trico blades, not a name I am familiar with. Do parts shops stock them?

wipers - Squeaky - 1litregolfeater

no no no must beg to differ. Wipers are wipers and most do a pretty good job for at least two or three years.

Your problem is down to using car shampoo containing wax on the windscreen, and normal road dirt full of oil and fumes and stuff.

Wipe the screen over with a rag moistened with petrol or thinners.

Then wash the screen with a hot (not too hot to crack it) solution of washing up liquid and disinfectant and washing soda, you know the score

wipers - Squeaky - pg1285
Well you have some of it right - the squeaking is more than likely car shampoo, but all wiper blades are not the same by a long way!!. We run a fleet of 12 vehicles and have tried many different types of wipers and believe me there are good ones and bad, very much like bulbs.

We have found Trico Exact Fit range out perform Bosch Super Plus and they are much better value for money. These we now fit to our vehicles with metal type wiper blades.

For our cars that have flat blades we use wiper blades Ltd. own brand and get them from www.wiperblades.co.uk which are about half the price of Bosch, but last just as long. They also sell Trico wiper blades.

And whatever you do, don't use petrol or thinners on your windscreen, it will degredate the rubber windscreen surround as well as the wiper rubber.

wipers - Squeaky - corax
And whatever you do, don't use petrol or thinners on your windscreen, it will degredate the rubber windscreen surround as well as the wiper rubber.

Or washing up liquid ( and I don't like the sound of disinfectant and washing soda either). It contains salts that will encourage corrosion. That guy definitely does not know the score.

wipers - Squeaky - bathtub tom

I found using LIDL windscreen washer additive (not the winter one) drastically reduced squeak and judder.

wipers - Squeaky - 1litregolfeater

I wonder if Corax can really tell us about the corrosive salts in washing up liquid.

wipers - Squeaky - corax

http://www.carcareadvice.co.uk/faq/exterior-paintwork/can-i-use-washing-up-liquid-to-clean-my-car.htm

Edited by corax on 04/08/2010 at 11:12

wipers - Squeaky - bathtub tom

IIRC a certain top brand of washing-up liquid claims to contain no salt. Anyway, we get tons of the stuff on the roads in the Winter, is it really that harmful?

wipers - Squeaky - MadPete

Check that the blades sit perpendicular to the windscreen. They should flip each way as the wiper arms operate. Wiper arms sometimes get a 'set', especially if the blade holder is offset from the arm. Use an adjustable spanner to twist the arm near the blade attachment to correct any 'set' so that the blades are perpendicular. Check they don't 'snowplough' in one direction. They should be dragging, not pushing, in each direction.

wipers - Squeaky - mickyh7
This has been done to death over the last few months. Although I agree about 'blade quality' It's almost certainly wax or grease on the windscreen.
Some polishes are renowned for causing this problem.
Also,over the last 35 years I've always used 'Fairy Liquid' as screen wash. I've never had a washer pump fail,nor had any rubber damage around a windscreen.
Reason is I used to do a lot (a real lot) of Motorway miles for work,and would not have been able to afford the proper stuff during the winter.
Good Luck.