Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - Dwight Van Driver

In Saturdays expert advice by HJ in the Motoring Section of DT he states/ implies that the QQ 1.5.cdi has the engine particulate filter. I understood that it was the 2.0 that had this and not the 1.5.

I have just bought the QQ Acenta 1.5 cdi and as far as I can see it doesn't have this item which I don't want because of the need to belt hell out of the vehicle to get the burn up.

So do I have it or not?

dvd

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - Steve Pearce

According to http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/dpf-problems_topic1152.html the 1.5 dCi does not have a DPF.

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - Alby Back

Hope you enjpy it DVD, Pretty certain it doesn't have a DPF. Just had mine re-fettled on the 2.0 Qashqai. Expensive special oil was needed apparently.

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - wazza

I heard that new Qashqai 1.5 ordered now will have DPF :-(

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - Avant

"Just had mine re-fettled on the 2.0 Qashqai."

Interesting, Humph - given that you do a high mileage. I thought DPF problems happen only when the car is driven atr low revs around town. Do we have a Renault influence at work?!

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - Alby Back
Allegedly it's a standard service thing.

After much E Mailing I contacted a leading Nissan dealer in the North East to be informed that the 1.5 doesn't have the PDF but the 2 ltr does.

Would have thought HJ would have jumped in on thos one to clear up??????

dvd

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - Winelad

My QQ is a 1.5dci Acenta - on a 57 plate with 53k on the clock .

Recently I went to kwikfit about the exhaust fumes in the cabin . He explained that the particulate filter was blocking and thus causing the fumes to blow back into the cab . (He even showed me under the ramp where it was and what was happenning and did not charge me a penny . )

Because it is now out of warranty he suggested trying a diesel decontaminent first as opposed to the £1,000 for a new DPF !!

I'm cautiously saying that after a £15.99 bottle of Wynns diesel treatment from Halfords and a fill up with Shell optimax ( @ £1.38 / ltr ) the smell APPEARS to have gone , my mpg is improving and the power is returning ....... fingers crossed .

Alan

Thats weird Alan. Because all the enquiries I have made lead me to believe that the 1.5 cdi does NOT have the PDF but the 2.0 does. I do many short runs and feel if there was PDF I would have been in trouble.

I am, from the recommedendation of HJ, a believer and user of Millersa Diesel clean (under £9 a bottle). Has this saved me?

dvd

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - AlleyCat`

To the very best of my knowledge the 1.5dci of that age (pre euro V) did not have a DPF in the UK.

Certainly the 2009 model (pre facelift) i almost considered buying did not have a DPF fitted to it.

After googling:-

"The easiest way to check visually of your qq has DPF is to look under the bonnet, where the air scoop clips onto the slam panel. Just behind that (between the slam panel and the battery) there will be either one or two control units. If you have one small unit (glow control unit) you dont have dpf, if you have two units (the dpf unit is about twice the size and to the left of the glow unit), then you have dpf."

That is directly from a QQclub member.

I wouldn't always believe what a KF engineer had told me (but at least it appears he didn't talk you into spending a lot of money).

It appears to be a semi-common problem on the QQ (re the exhaust) but i'm dubious it has anything to do with a DPF.

From the mouth (EMail) of the Great God Nissan UK:-

"I can confirm for you that the 1.5dci does not come fitted with a DPF and it is the 2.0 that does, this however changed with the introduction of the mark 2 (late 2010) Nissan Qashqai where all diesels are now fitted with DPF's.

Phew - thank God I don't have it.

dvd

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - Dutchie

You dont have to beat the hell out of your car with the DPF filter DVD.

Sorry to disagree with you but why thank god for spewing more soot particles in the atmosphere when there is no need.God might think ottherwise.

From the mouth(EMail) of the Great God Nissan:

I can confirm for you that the 1.5dci does not come fitted with a DPF and it is the 2.0 that does, this however changed with the introduction of the mark 2 (late 2010) Nissan Qashqai where all diesels are now fitted with DPF's.

Phew , thank God mine doesn't have it.

dvd

I'm REALLY confused now ?

The Kwikfit engineer showed me under my car . He pointed to a circular fitting in front of the tubo unit - he said this was the DPF and that the whistling noise as I revved and the smell of fumes indicated it was blocking .

The full length of the exhaust was intact perfectly .

My car was registered Nov 2007 and is a 1.5 dci . Although there is still a slight whiff of fumes on start up , since adding the Wynns the overall fumes in traffic has died down now so I'm really baffled as to what would have caused this then ? I can still hear a slight whistling on acceleration but , again , not as pronounced .

Anybody got any clues ? (To be fair to Kwikfit , they made no money out of me - even recommended trying Nissan about the warranty as opposed to using them - but my car is 40 months old now and has covered 53k . )

Alan

My information from a leading NE Nissan Dealer and then Nissan Customer Service on the Web is that the 1.5 Tdi does NOT have the dreaded DPF. The newer models 2010 do as do all 2 ltr ones.

For your peace of mind suggest you visit a Nissan dealer to confirm this or send your VIN details to Nissan UK and they should confirm. If they do so lambast Kwickfit for false info.

dvd

Thanks dvd , I'll try that next .

As I say there is a kind of "whistle" when accelerating which gets less as the engine warms up . On tickover/ in traffic I can still smell exhaust funes in the cab - but not as bad as it was . Have only driven 350 miles since I put the treatment in so I'll try a bit longer to see if things improve - certainly mpg around the doors is about 5/6 mg better than it has been .

Edited by Winelad on 20/02/2011 at 13:42

Nissan Qashqai - Qashqai for questions - PatrickO

Wouldn't that be turbo whistle? As pleasant a sound as there ever was.

Not sure about the fumes in the cab though, can't be doing your carcinogenic rating any good.

crash , bang wallop !! The QQ spat the dummy out today - big time .

Sounded like a mini cooper with a wide bore - after a visit by the AA and a trip to my local garage , turns out the small "flexi" re-circ pipe was cracked and then blew off this morning .

Dealer only component , about 1 inch in diameter , maybe 8 - 10 inches long I think ....£117 + VAT + fitting ! Nice way to end my week . :o(