Gearbox oil additives - Ben79
I know that the general opinion is against engine oil additives, but what about gearbox oil additives? It seems that gearbox oil doesn't get much technological advancement.

Could something like Slick work on a gearbox? (Peugeot/Citroen MA gearbox)

Cheers
Gearbox oil additives - John S
Benito

Be very careful on this one. Synchromesh relies on just the right amount of friction to work properly, and a molybdenum or ptfe additive could upset its operation making things worse, not better. Gear oils have improved although it may be less obvious than with engine oils - how many gearboxes have scheduled oil changes these days for example?

Gear oil generally has an easier life than engine oil, lower temperature and negligible contamination for example, making 'life-time' lubricants feasible. Still worth the occasional change though, but stick to just the lubricant.

Regards

John S
Gearbox oil additives - steve paterson
Benito,
John S is right. I recently had to strip and rebuild a low mileage gearbox. The box whined and all of the synchro's were weak. The oil was black, obviously some sort of additive had been tried. There was nothing wrong with the box or bearings and so on, I just put it back together and refilled with fresh oil.
Result - Whining gearbox with perfect synchro's. It still whined 80k miles later.
Gearbox oil additives - Cyd
Steer clear of additives, as stated synchro may not like it. Try one of the high quality fully synthetic oils if you're changing it. I use Torco Fully Synth MTF in my Rover box. Red Line, Castrol and others also do FS gearbox oils. If you can't find any locally try www.demon-tweeks.co.uk