Peugeot 306 1.9D - 1999 Peugeot 306 diesel pump replacement - paulmisaac
Hi,

I have a non-turbo version of a 306 diesel. Unfortunately, the pump died a death (horrible Lucas pump!!!!) whilst I was driving along.

Now, I've changed a pump before on an old 405 TD and found it to be a pig - mainly in the undoing of the nuts that hold the pump on. However, I've noticed they are slightly different on the 306 in that the bolts that hold the pump on seem to undo from behind the pump-sprocket (cambelt side).

As I understand it, it's 'simply' a case of hold the sprocket in place with 2 bolts, undoing those three nuts that hold the pump in, disconnecting the fuel lines, changing the pump and refitting everything. Could anyone confirm?

Also, I believe that any 1.9 XUD pump will do. Can I use one from a TD (remember, mine is not TD)? Would it be okay to swap it for a Bosch pump?

Many thanks in advance.

It's MOT time so no doubt I'll be here a lot :D
Peugeot 306 1.9D - 1999 Peugeot 306 diesel pump replacement - Peter.N.

Your assumptions ar broadly correct, but, if you fit a Bosch pump you will need the injector pipes as well as the injection order is different, if you fit the Lucas ones it wont go - guess how I know!

The Bosch is undoubtedly a better pump, I don't see why a TD one wont work but the fuel setting will probably be wrong, but its very easy to adjust. I would have thought that a non turbo pump would have been cheaper though. Usually a few on ebay.

Thanks for that, although Autodata states that both the Bosch and Lucas pumps work on a 1-3-4-2 injection sequence.

I guess either way, I'm in for some fun!

Peugeot 306 1.9D - 1999 Peugeot 306 diesel pump replacement - Dyaneman

If you go Bosch you will need the Bosch injectors too...

There is no chance of me fitting another Lucas pump! I'm sure it's made from Lego! I've had lots of XUD-engined cars (Peugeot, Citroen, Rover) and I've had three pumps die on me - all Lucas!

The firing order is the same but the oulets are in different positions, so with the wrong pipes you will be feeding fuel to the wrong cylinders at the wrong time. I have used a Bosch pump with the orignal injectors and it worked OK.

Ok that makes sense!

I've just took the old pump off - it came off in record (for me) time! One problem I did notice is the lack of timing holes on the sprocket. Do you think I'll need the sprocket and pump mounting bracket to go with the pump?

Ah, hadn't thought about that, the shaft may be different. Its a long time since I have changed one - it was on a BX and I don't remember. You will have to compare them.

**** UPDATE ****

It turns out mine has the DW8 engine. I managed to find a 306 in a sc***yard with the same engine and a Bosch pump. I fitted it, but the immobiliser prevented it from starting. After much grinding etc, the steel case around the immobiliser came off. HOWEVER, it took the fuel adjustment screw with it and basically cracked the alloy casing of the actual pump!!!!! So I find myself in the position of needing another pump. Again.

There were no other DW8 engined cars in the sc***yard but there were plenty of earlier XUD's, mainly turbodiesels.

Can anyone confirm that an XUD pump will work on the DW8? What bits would be needed? I have both Bosch and Lucas injectors now - I managed to make the existing pipes fit.

Alternatively, can anyone tell me how to safely remove the immobiliser on the back of the Bosch pump?

Thanks!

Oh dear, I wouldn't think that the pumps are that different unless yours is partially electronically controlled, compare the two side by side, if they look the same I expect it will work.

Problem (again!!!!!!!)

I've managed to source a pump. I removed the immobiliser circuit and took a 12v feed to the fuel cut-off switch, which only sends the power when the ignition is on. The injectors have been replaced also.

However, still no joy making it run. I could hear the solenoid operating as it should on the pump, but I removed the plastic stopper anyway, just to get it working. Nothing.

I cracked open a pipe and fuel seems to be getting through.

The pump was from an old XUDT (turbo diesel) lump which I heard/saw working and it was put onto the Bosch pump I destroyed before. It went together okay and there are no leaks from where it joins together.

The only way I can get it to start is by spraying Easy Start into the manifold - it then runs for about 15 seconds and kicks smoke out the back. The pulleys are all timed up properly, unless there are 2 holes on the flywheel.

I've read online about there being some immobilser circuitry around the ignition barrel, but surely that wouldn't affect things, being as the immobilser on the pump is now in the bin??!!??

The other thing I noticed is that the EGR pipe blow smoke out when I managed to get it to run on easy start.

Any ideas, before I confine it to the sc***yards - reluctant to do so at £115/ton!!!!

You need the injector pipes from the Bosch pump if your original one was a lucas, the order of injection is different so you will be getting fuel in the wrong cylinder at the wrong time (or right time?)

I fitted them too. Firing order is 1-3-4-2 as per the near identical ZX I have access to. I checked the pipes on the 306 and they match the ZX identicaly

An update, just in case anyone researches this in the future!

There are in fact 2 timing holes on the fly wheel, so the trick is to undo number 1 injector (nearest gearbox) and insert a wire coat hanger (straightened, obviously). Put car into 3rd, raise it on a jack and have someone turn the wheel until no 1 piston is at TDC, then insert the timing pin/drillbit/rod/allen key into the fly wheel and have your assistant wriggle the wheel a bit until the locking pin//drillbit/rod/allen key locks. Hey presto, it is locked in position.

Please note than an old XUD pump will work, with a little persuasion. I'm using a pump from an old 405 TD

Well done! Presumably you old pump as also a Bosch then, when I changed a Lucas/CAV for a Bosch on a BX it wouldnt work and I found the pipes were different..