Ford Fiesta 1388cc Zetec - Poor low speed running - tdc

Jumped in my 1388cc zetec Fiesta today after it had been stood for 2 weeks and did a 6 mile round trip.It ran lumpy at low speed as if running on three cylinders or missing.No go in it until wound up to 60mph where it seemed smooth at that speed on neutral throttle.Back on my driveway it did tick over but revved up very poorly.It`s done approx 120k with oil&filter changed regularly,and cam belt at 100k....but not a lot else done within the last 40k for service to the engine.Don`t want to fork out for injection cleaner if it`s something I can tinker with for free.Any ideas please?

Ford Fiesta 1388cc Zetec - Poor low speed running - Auristocrat

Our Mazda 2 (based on the Fiesta, with same engine) had similar symptoms when the coil pack was failing

Edited by Auristocrat on 15/06/2010 at 10:46

"Our Mazda 2 (based on the Fiesta, with same engine) had similar symptoms when the coil pack was failing"

Thanks Auristocrat,

Had the ignition system tested and it was ok,so maybe a fuel issue?To play it safe as I have some long trips lined up(if I can get it running right) I have just joined a breakdown organisation,only ever bothered once before.Not as easy to fix some problems by the roadside nowadays so am paying £3.40 a month.If they can`t fix it there and then they`ll tow you back home....trouble is you can end up with a big bill for parts if they can fix problems by fitting a replacement part at the roadside.I prefer to use recon/aftermarket/2nd-hand/breakers parts to keep costs down.

Found no1 plug to be wet with petrol(at least I hope it was petrol&not antifreeze mix,does use a little,down from max to min mark on expansion tank after 400 miles...do head gaskets go on these after 120,000 miles?),Think no1 plug lead was loose so hope it was fuel on the plug.Did 350 miles in total on sunday and ran well apart from some erratic tickover when stuck in traffic going into/leaving Silverstone and M1 crawl down to London.Fine on run back up A1. Don`t like the look of those "average speed cameras" they are putting up on M1 and A52 Sleaford side of Grantham,I expect they are sprouting up everywhere?Anyone any ideas what could be causing the intermittent tickover problem please?Thanks.