Volkswagen Golf V - GT TDI 140 BHP - Servicing Intervals. - Tony1DB

Hello All and hope you are all well.

I have just bought a 2007 (56 plate) Mk 5 Golf GT TDI 140 BHP with 84K miles on the clock. It was an ex-company car with full VW service history.

I am told it is on the longlife service, ie, car will tell me when it needs a service.

This maybe a stupid question but how will I know when it needs a service? Does the car flash up a message to tell me or is there a system of bars/numbers that tell me (I am used to servicing a car annually or by a certain mileage)?

I only do about 10k a year now so is it better that I change to annual/mileage limit servicing or stick to when the car tells me?

How do I change from Longlife servicing to the annual way? Can I just change or should I do something specific so the car recognises what I've done... if that makes sense?!

Thank you all :-)

Tony.

Volkswagen Golf V - GT TDI 140 BHP - Servicing Intervals. - craig-pd130

l'd strongly recommend servicing once per year. You don't need to do anything to change, just get the oil & filter changed. When was it last done?

Don't know what the cambelt interval is on the 2.0 diesel Golfs, but if it hasn't been done it's getting due.

Volkswagen Golf V - GT TDI 140 BHP - Servicing Intervals. - woodster

Got one of these too - it flashes on the dash display starting at 1000 miles before service is due and counts down in hundreds. Dealer (or any garage these days) can change it from long life to 10k. You know the cam belt is due at 4 yrs or 80k? The kit includes one of the rollers I think and is pricey at about £200 - just the kit!. Lots of discussion on the net about the merits of the change interval. Apparently it's somewhat longer in other markets arousing suspicion about it's real life expectancy, but that's what's in the book.

Volkswagen Golf V - GT TDI 140 BHP - Servicing Intervals. - JohnM{P}

Switch on the ignition and fasten seatbelt; don't start the engine.

Press the trip reset and hold down for 2 secs, and you should see when the car thinks the next service is due.

If on LongLife, you must, must, use the correct oil. There seems to be a built-in max service distance of 30,000km (18.6k miles)