Why do some cars have only one reversing light? - vxr53

Hi Guys & Gals

Just something which occured to me today....Why do some car models have only one reversing light as apposed to having two? Is it a cost and or design issue?

It just seems that having two is much safer (for example if reversing round a corner) so I dont see why cars should not come with two. And some cars (for example ford focus mk1 ) have only one light AND in a bad place!

Anybody else have any views on this?

Why do some cars have only one reversing light? - Ben 10

Totally agree there should always be two. Seems to be cost cutting in final build.

Why do some cars have only one reversing light? - Auristocrat

Almost certainly cost.

I remember when we purchased a couple of new Nissan Micras (1990 and 1992), the rear foglights were built into the rear bumper. One was a real working foglight, the other was a non-working blank that looked identical. We had the blanks replaced with working foglights

Why do some cars have only one reversing light? - Bilboman

"Fog one side and reverse the other" is becoming the fashion, and a lot of manufacturers even go so far as to disguise their apparent penny pinching by "dyeing" the reversing light lens red (Nissan Almera, Subaru Forester and many more...)

I read a Saab brochure in the 80s which extolled the virtues of the single driver's-side foglight (avoiding confusion with brake lights, less dazzle in the rain, blah blah...) and a growing number of cars have a wiring loom and fuse system which won't allow for a second fog or reversing light without some major electrical overhauling.

I'm not really bothered, as long as the reversing light is visible all round, which many are not (including the Focus Mk1 hatchback and certain small vans.)

I'd love to know why no two Minis have the same rear light set-up! (In the USA, I've even seen some with red rear indicators, not combined with brakelights as is quite common, but actually fitted separately but bizarrely coloured red. What's the story, Mini?

Why do some cars have only one reversing light? - Cliff Pope

The purpose of a reversing light is so that you can see where you are going when reversing in the dark. So much more important than the actual number of lights is the angle and spread of the beam.

Why do some cars have only one reversing light? - John F

Possibly the same reason estates only have one rear wiper!

Why do some cars have only one reversing light? - 659FBE

The reason why many cars have only one reversing light is cheapness of conversion from LHD to RHD.

It is mandatory to have a single rear foglight either in the middle of the vehicle or on the offside - thus a single foglight has to be moved from LHD to RHD.

If the single foglight is "twinned" with a single reversing lamp, the conversion is easy - just fit the lamp units for the appropriate market. Wires for both functions are fitted to both sides in the wiring loom so the appropriate lamp unit just connects to the wires needed.

Some LHD to RHD "conversions" are real bodges - I see BMWs and M-Bs with the wipers configured the wrong way, and M-B "clap hands" wipers with the LH blade on top. The result is a nasty streak from the nearside wiper in your line of vision when the wipers are stopped. This, from a Company which prides itself in "safety engineering".

Cheapskates.