ford focus 2001 - front coil springs, shock absorbers problems - bartonski

Hello, My wife is having problems with her car. It developed a loud banging noise overnight while moving even at a very low speed. Wierd as it was working perfectly the day before!

Basically i told her to check it our online before getting it towed to the nearest garage but she wouldnt listen. she just found out that she needs the front coil springs replaced, a pair of front shock absorbers done, both front brake discs and pads, a tracking check and also a new battery. We were quoted 713.55 by the garage which we cant afford to pay so its stuck there at the moment. I thought id see if i can find a cheaper alternative by buying the parts myself online which came to just over 200 and got a quote from a mobile mechanic to do all the work for around 150.

I dont want to get a bodge job done but at the same time need to get it done and really cant afford the first quote of 713.55 . I heard the springs are a cheapish job to do so i just dont know how they got to that ammount. Is it too expensive? or is the other guy too cheap.

Also if we get the car towed back from the garage will they want paying for checking the car over to see what the problem was or do garages do that free of charge? i got a feeling they might want a silly ammount for just doing that. We live in kent by the way if anyone can recommend somebody.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

ford focus 2001 - front coil springs, shock absorbers problems - piston power

Was this a fast fit garage?

The springs may have snapped just replace these as for the front shockers leave them for now, but ask for a written report of all faults.

Front shockers get weak at about 80k but with new springs fitted will be safer and better to drive and much cheaper.

ford focus 2001 - front coil springs, shock absorbers problems - bartonski

hello, not sure what the garage is. might give a few other garages a call to get an average quote