Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate 115PS TI/VCT - EML and catalytic converter issues - speedycar53

Our woes started following an engine misfire (quite bad and driven for around 50 miles) fixed by replacement coil pack and leads. As soon as we got home after the repair, the EML came on again and has remained on constantly ever since. Error codes and diagnostics by Ford dealer indicate possible fault with sensor or wiring on bank 1 catalytic converter and a defective catalytic converter on bank 2 (below efficiency limits). Apart from the EML being on, the engine seems to be running normally.

Ford suggest that unspent fuel due to the misfire has wrecked the catalytic converter and possibly the upstream sensor(s). Cost to repair - another £1,500.

Have had various alternative suggestions to replacing the converters like applying heat to burn out any residues. Is this a technique worth trying?

It has also been suggested that the car may still pass an MOT emissions test and in this case we could just drive on and ignore the problem. Is this possible and worth investigating? We don't want to go to such great expense unless there is no alternative.

If all else fails, does anyone know of a reputable after-market replacement for the catalytic converters on this model - it seems that the higher output TI/VCT engine has a rather over-complicated setup with twin converters, sensors etc. and the replacement includes the complete manifold. An independent garage has not been able to find one from a trusted source.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate 115PS TI/VCT - EML and catalytic converter issues - elekie&a/c doctor

This seems to be a common catalogue of problems that affects many modern cars that are driven with a misfire,usually resulting in a catalyst efficiency fault logged.Unfortunately very few aftermarket cat manufacturers are able to supply a compatible cat/exhaust to meet the demands of the very sensitive engine management systems.Interestingly I have seen many cars with this problem and they have no problem passing the MOT emissions test.So I guess it is pay up or live with the EML light on.Only problem here is that if another fault develops,then there will be no indication via the eml warning system.hth

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate 115PS TI/VCT - EML and catalytic converter issues - focusman

hi

have a look at onlineautomotive.co.uk

you don't say what year your car is but on their website a catalytic converter for a focus 2004 onwards is around £354 + del

hope this helps

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate 115PS TI/VCT - EML and catalytic converter issues - graham3232

I had the same problem although i didn't drive as far with the misfire. I had intermittent problems with the engine light (catalist efficiency) , i reset is (with a handheld plug in reader) and it would stay off for a few weeks. I had the pre cat oxygen sensor replaced for £75 due to a separate fault code. MOT passed fine, so as others say its probably due to slight damage and sensitive computer.

There is a product called Cataclean (try ebay) which cleans out the system, may be worth a try. Also a good high speed motorway run with a premium fuel may help. I certainly wouldn't go with fords £1500 repair!