Nissan Micra C+C - Car roll on slope when handbrake on - westberry

Hi

Car failed NCT on back brakes.

Replaced brake cable on drivers side as was not working. Replaced both wheel cylinders as both were leaking also replaced brake shoes on both sides as drivers side needed replacing. Bleeded brakes and brakes seem okay when using brake pedal but car rolls back on slopes when hand brake is on. I adjusted handbrake to between 6-8 clicks as stated in Haynes book it seem to help but still rolls slowly.

Do I need to adjust the shoes using the self adjuster.

I would be grateful of any advice.

Patrick

Nissan Micra C+C - Car roll on slope when handbrake on - OG

Pushing the brake pedal down several times should work the self adjuster into the correct position but by the sound of things you've done that already.

Six to eight clicks sounds a lot unless it's a very fine ratchet and if what you've done has made an improvement you're probably on the right track. My usual method is to tighten up the handbrake cables with the handbrake off until the wheels lock then slacken off until they just start to turn freely again. If that fails you might need to check you've re-assembled everything correctly.

Hi

Thanks for that, I'll give that a go.

Patrick

Nissan Micra C+C - Car roll on slope when handbrake on - Peter.N.

Could also be due to the fact that you have fitted new shoes, they will take a while to bed in.

Thanks for that. Wasn't aware of that

Patrick

Nissan Micra C+C - Car roll on slope when handbrake on - bathtub tom

>>Replaced both wheel cylinders as both were leaking

Did you clean up the drums? It's possible you may have contaminated the new shoes with the brake fluid that leaked out.

Thanks for that.

Do I need anything special to clean drums ?

Petrol or some other solvent.

Nissan Micra C+C - Car roll on slope when handbrake on - bathtub tom

I use white spirit to dissolve anything and then a good application of meths to remove any residue.

The problem could be brake fluid absorbed into the material of the brake shoes. An old trick was to boil them up in a saucepan of water (brake fluid being water soluble). The only real solution is to replace the shoes AFTER the drums are thoroughly cleaned.

Unless the linings are saturated the fluid will burn off in time, try pulling the handbrake up when you are going down hill becuase the rear brakes don't usually do much work and so won't get hot under normal braking

Nissan Micra C+C - Car roll on slope when handbrake on - zookeeper

Could also be due to the fact that you have fitted new shoes, they will take a while to bed in.

bedding in? how many walls do you have to hit, or failures to stop at a road junctions does it take to bed the brakes in?