Vauxhall Vectra SXi - 2litre petrol 2001 - Exhaust Emmissions Light - mrwantinfo

Hi

Keep getting Orange Exhaust emmissions light coming on the dashboard.

Had Full MOT and Service. mechanic said i was burning oil. It can go off for a while then come back on - when it does the car runs rough and takes longer to get up to speed.

had new Lamda? fitted as well

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how it can be fixed and approx price to fix please?

Thanks

Vauxhall Vectra SXi - 2litre petrol 2001 - Exhaust Emmissions Light - sandy56

a few suggestions-

1 If it is buring oil that could affect your emissions now and again- no easy solution. If the engine is old - high mileage then this is to be expected Im afraid. If the car has just been serviced and the engine oil changed then it could be the engine is just worn. In a worn engine oil is coming past the piston seals and is being burned in the combustion chamber and will cause emissions probelms. Engines are designed to burn only clean petrol . Solution replace piston seals- meaning take the engine apart and replace the seals and if you do that you might as well do a few other repairs whils the engine is in bits- expensive.

2. If is running rough after a main service take it back and tell them to fix it. It should be running better not worse after a full service!

3. New lambda sensor- good idea and it may have been necessary but if you are burning oil then that is the big problem.

4. maybe just needs a good tune up? at a good garage. Have the engine checked by a good mechanic.

good luck

Vauxhall Vectra SXi - 2litre petrol 2001 - Exhaust Emmissions Light - mrwantinfo

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

A local mechanic i used changed the oil and filter and about 2 - 3 months later i put it in for its MOT - the Emissions were high then and wasn't until the mechanic spotted that the oil was low that he topped it up and the emissions came down briefly (just enough time to pass the MOT). he suggested i keep an eye on the oil levels and said i needed to get it on a full diagnostic system to find out what the real problem is.

Before i got the oil change i got it upt on a hand held diagnostic and it came up saying 'Knock Sensor' but the garage said i should get a service before going down the expensive route!

Any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Vauxhall Vectra SXi - 2litre petrol 2001 - Exhaust Emmissions Light - topbloke

the knock sensor codes are set when the oil levels get low on this paricular engine,in fact most of the earlier vauxhall engines,Regards TB