Skoda Octavia II - octavia 2 vs focus 2 diesels - john96

Guys, thinking about getting one of either of these, which should be the best long termer.

I would be looking at the 90 bhp focus, or the 105 bhp octy, thereby hopefully minimising the chance of a BIG bill.

Have max budget upto 7k and have seen 2 octys at 63k, and 80k for under this price.

Ta.

Skoda Octavia II - octavia 2 vs focus 2 diesels - Avant

Both diesel engines are capable of high mileages, provided they've been looked after by the previous owner - i.e. regular (preferably fixed-interval) servicing and oil changes.

The Octavia has a lot more room for people and luggage than the Focus, so it's horses for courses.

Skoda Octavia II - octavia 2 vs focus 2 diesels - via roma

Wife has a company late 2006 octavia estate 1.9 diesel 4*4. I have a 2009 2ltr petrol focus estate with LPG.

with the skoda avoid at all costs any on variable service intervals, glad the wife's is company paid for as various things have gone wrong most expensive was turbo at 90000 miles needed renewing. If you need to fold down rear seats regularly the head rests need to be removed and I find that a really annoying pain and not so easy. The Focus is easy to fold the seats but less room inside.

the Skoda 1.9 105 hp is plenty fast enough, we live in Italy and the car spends 85% of time on motorway at 150 km/h.Sorry can not give detailed consumption as company pays but computer says approx 6.5 ltrs / 100 kms overall av.

the focus ( remember petrol ) does feel much more sporty and agile. The Skoda feels more solidly built.

If it was my money for long term i think a skoda for a family is the best choice. Personally i would buy a petrol non turbo and LPG conversion for a long term car.

hope this helps.

Skoda Octavia II - octavia 2 vs focus 2 diesels - john96

Fear of a big bill for a diesel car is the main reason that I havent yet bought one! Did also look at hyundai I10 and panda earlier this year, but just dont think I could live with something that small!