How to avoid DMF failure - Spospe

I have often read of Dual Mass Flywheel failure, but never personally experienced it and I would like to continue not experiencing it.

Can any BR's give their personal tips / experience in avoiding DMF failure?

How to avoid DMF failure - BigJohnD

Mine's fine after 75K miles, so have I done anything special to achieve that mileage? No.

I don't tow, which may or may not be a factor.

(Diesel C4}

Edited by BigJohnD on 11/04/2010 at 20:57

How to avoid DMF failure - RichardW

I have a suspicion heat kills them, so avoid overheating it - don't hold it on the clutch excessively, and when setting off, get it fully engaged as quickly as possible so you're not slipping it. There's a lso a train of thought that says they are abosring vibes from the engine at low revs, so don't lug it hard at below 1500 rpm.

How to avoid DMF failure - Alby Back

Smoooooth is all. Smooooooooth man...............

Good joke on the radio the other day. Bloke's wife leaves him and takes the satellite dish. He phones in to the local radio station and requests a reggae record to cheer him up. He asks for ......" No Woman ...No Sky"....

Right-ho then I'll be off......

:-)

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 11/04/2010 at 21:11

How to avoid DMF failure - daveyjp

Treat it like you shoud treat the clutch. Gentle use, neutral and handbrake at traffic lights, don't ride it on inclines.

My dad was a driving instructor, in 25 years running 7/8 different Fiestas all but one doing over 100,000 miles he never had a clutch replaced.

How to avoid DMF failure - 659FBE

Avoid any form of clutch abuse which will heat the flywheel excessively.

Never leave the vehicle parked in gear with locked-in torque in the transmission.

How to avoid DMF failure - Ben 10

Never leave the vehicle parked in gear with locked-in torque in the transmission.

Can you explain the last bit? There are times when it is essential to leave the car in gear.

How to avoid DMF failure - Spospe

Thanks for the replies to date and can I ask if anyone has ever heard of any advice from vehicle manufacturers or anyone in the garage repair trade?

How to avoid DMF failure - Avant

HJ has some information on DMFs at FAQ no. 94 (click on Ask Honest John above). Incidentally that other modern curse, the DPF, is at no. 107.

How to avoid DMF failure - Cliff Pope

Can you explain the last bit? There are times when it is essential to leave the car in gear.

I think he means make sure the force stopping the car from rolling is being resisted by the handbrake and not by the engine, via the flywheel.

In other words, I think you would apply the handbrake and then as a backup put the car in gear, rather than letting it slump back against the engine compression and belatedly applying the handbrake.

How to avoid DMF failure - b308

I had a Fabia 1.9TDi for 82k, set off mainly in 2nd, never really flogged the engine and frequently drive at 1500rpm...

Perhaps I was just lucky after reading the above!

How to avoid DMF failure - R2-CMax

I had a Fabia 1.9TDi for 82k, set off mainly in 2nd, never really flogged the engine and frequently drive at 1500rpm...

Perhaps I was just lucky after reading the above!

I have a theory (that is beautifully untouched by expertise, but at least I'm honest!), that if the thing is going to break due to low revs, it's when it's also trying to absorb a lot of vibration - that could be from a combination of low revs and full acceleration. Otherwise the heat theory seems more plausible.

Interesting to see the eco gear feature on new cars encouraging changing up at ridiculously low rpm. Presumably they have tested clutch lifetime if the car is treated like this its entire life? Or am I being too charitable?

Perhaps HJ can ask any contacts in R&D departments whether they think low revving eco-models are more or less likely to have clutch problems (or any other problems associated with being driven according to manufacturers instructions)?

Nearly 90k on my TDCi now, fingers remain crossed but apart from some noise from belts area for a few seconds on very cold, very damp starts in Jan, the engine still sounds new to me.

How to avoid DMF failure - kiss (keep it simple)

There don't seem to be many ( if any) reports on HJ of DMF failures on petrol engined vehicles. My last car had one and was still fine at 120k. So that should rule out the "driving style" excuse offered by some manufacturers.

How to avoid DMF failure - Mapmaker

Subaru petrol engines are notorious for damaging their DMFs. Strangely it doesn't seem to kill them, but it does make them noisy - a whistling/squeaking sound.

Is that because there's more vibration intrinsic in a flat-four, so more work for the DMF to do?

How to avoid DMF failure - Lygonos

I was always under the impression a flat-four had less vibration and was intrinsically smoother than an in-line 4.

The 'wobbly' exhaust note from older Subarus is due to unequal length manifolds from each cylinder, not an unbalanced engine.

How to avoid DMF failure - Roly93

The 'wobbly' exhaust note from older Subarus is due to unequal length manifolds from each cylinder, not an unbalanced engine.

Personally I hate that subaru engine note. I would be forever having the tuning checked if I owned a scuby.

How to avoid DMF failure - nick jones

My wife's Volvo C30 2.0D has just suffered a DMF failure after 21,000 miles/ 2.5 years old!

Being replaced under warranty & then it will be sold QUICKLY!

How to avoid DMF failure - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""Personally I hate that subaru engine note. I would be forever having the tuning checked if I owned a scuby.""

I dare someone to put on a flat cap and go up to a boy-racer in a car park and tell him his Imprezza's got a misfire!

How to avoid DMF failure - pd

The whole DMF obsession on this forum is completely out of control. Yes, the odd one gives trouble but the vast majority do not. Many manufacturers have been fitting them for decades and no one knew what they were as they never went wrong.

I've come across many S40/V50 Volvo's with well over 100k on perfect DMF's so they are not a common failure point and one failing early is obviously a one off.

To be honest, on the list of expensive and common things which fail on modern, complicated cars I'd put DMF a long, long way down my list of things to worry about. Virtually all cars - including petrols - have them so are virtually impossible to avoid unless you get an auto (which have their own set of expensive issues).

There are one or two common models and makes which the DMF's are simply badly designed and poor quality on. This does not mean a DMF is an industry wide issue.

How to avoid DMF failure - ddr

Great to have some balance and perspective on this, pd.

I suspect it's like any new design. The early ones will have some problems so gain reputation for being forever suspect. People used to say the same thing about electronic fuel injection/engine management, air conditioning, electric windows, etc. Now those systems are completely taken for granted.

How to avoid DMF failure - Bedhead

"The whole DMF obsession on this forum is completely out of control. Yes, the odd one gives trouble but the vast majority do not. Many manufacturers have been fitting them for decades and no one knew what they were as they never went wrong.

I've come across many S40/V50 Volvo's with well over 100k on perfect DMF's so they are not a common failure point and one failing early is obviously a one off.

To be honest, on the list of expensive and common things which fail on modern, complicated cars I'd put DMF a long, long way down my list of things to worry about. Virtually all cars - including petrols - have them so are virtually impossible to avoid unless you get an auto (which have their own set of expensive issues).

There are one or two common models and makes which the DMF's are simply badly designed and poor quality on. This does not mean a DMF is an industry wide issue."

I'd disagree, I sell the things and we are selling more and more of them, it's unusual to say the least to find one lasting more than 100k on a diesel, the petrols do last better, but the flywheel tends to be more expensive when problems occur. We also have to deal with the horror stories of people who have bought a car with a welded up DMF.

We sell more DMF's for VAG cars than any other, usually a 1.9, although the 1.9 Vauxhalls and the HDi Peugeots are catching up rapidly. We carry in stock about a dozen different DMF's and I could name another dozen that we sell on a fairly regular basis.

My own 1.8 20V A4 will be written off when the flywheel goes, as replacing it will cost of replacing it will exceed the value of the car by a considerable margin. It's showing the first signs of distress at 129000 miles.

How to avoid DMF failure - AlanGowdy

(The 'wobbly' exhaust note from older Subarus is due to unequal length manifolds from each cylinder, not an unbalanced engine.)

Every time I hear a Subaru flat four at low revs (and there are two living near me so that is quite often) I am reminded of a clapped out Transit van with the old V4 engine.

Edited by AlanGowdy on 11/06/2010 at 14:15

How to avoid DMF failure - RT

I was always under the impression a flat-four had less vibration and was intrinsically smoother than an in-line 4.

Yes, a flat-four is much better balanced than an in-line four, in-line five or vee-six. The distinctive Subaru exhaust does indeed come from the unequal length manifolds and joining the ports on the same side rather than crossing under the engine.

All the older Subaru's sounded like that until about 2003 when the manifolding was changed on the normally-aspirated versions.Many enthusiasts fit the older style of manifolds.

Turbo Subarus are still distinctive because their exhaust manifolds each take the shortest route to the turbo and are therefore very unequal.

It's a similar sound to the Porsche flat-six that were rallied in the '60/70s - if you don't like that sound you're a heathen.

How to avoid DMF failure - rhydy

The job of the DMF is to handle low frequency spikes in torque. A lot of this occurs at low engine revs and so engine start and shutdown are some of the roughest times for a diesel engine. Bearing that in mind, it makes sense to have the clutch pedal pressed down for starting and shutdown. A lot of people do this for various reasons; reducing wear on starter, gears, box bearings and engine itself but most people do this for safety reasons anyway. TANGENT ALERT I once cranked my prelude without the clutch depressed, rather than lurch forward or jerk, the beasty just fired right up to 1500rpm instantly in 1st gear and drove off towards a wall ;) No harm done, passengers thought it was hillarious. Such a good car.

How to avoid DMF failure - jc2

Years ago,when I worked in the motor industry,I was in the Big boss's office one day and on his wall,he had a list of the major concerns on our vehicles-I was suprised to see that the one I expected to be at the top of the list didn't even make it into the top ten!

How to avoid DMF failure - gramar

The answer is simple. Boycot any car with a DMF fitted and add to that any car which also has a DPF fitted. Then the manufacturers wouldn't be able to sell these cars in the first place and would have to resolve the problem some other way.

I know why we need DPF's but why do we have to have DMF's too??

I think Gramar, because customers are forever demanding as little NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) as possible.

You can avoid DPF problems either by not having a diesel or, if you do have one, not using it entirely on short journeys. There seems to me no point in having a diesel if one's driving is done entirely in towns. In these situations hybrids like the Prius come into their own.

DMFs - as has been implied further up this thread, these give fewer problems on petrol engines, presumably because there is less vibration to countreract than in a diesel. (I'll stand to be corrected if one of the experts on here tels me that that's wrong.). But I expect the technology is improving and would expect less trouble on more recent engines than when DMFs first came in.

How to avoid DMF failure - gramar

Avant,

Many thanks for a prompt answer. Currely I drive a petrol car with no DMF - It's a Suzuki Ignis Sport - it does not suffer from any NVH that a DMF would counter. Only tyre noise.

The Ignis is a useful and underrated car. It'll probably last you a long time.

How to avoid DMF failure - Collos25

My neighbour has an older Mercedes c class diesel 1998 I think I was suprised when he told me he had just had a new clutch fitted and it was a dual mass job the car has done 270k km and was changed not because it was faulty but because he is going on a long journey and he thought he had better get it changed as it had never been done.

How to avoid DMF failure - Ben 10

So why are modern diesels having such problems. Either it is cheaper materials, poor design or a generic fault by manufacturers. Or is it deliberate to fleece the owners seeing as diesels are more popular than petrol.

How to avoid DMF failure - Rob C

Arise ye thread.

Now that HJ has made several comments about DMFs recently and not releasing the clutch to idle, I start to wonder how exactly I should be driving these things, now that I have thrown in the towel with Audi and trying to get some money back on a failed DMF (some other thread last year.)

Is it better to sit in traffic with the clutch in? I had heard that this puts undue pressure on the clutch plate springs.

Unfortunately, if I put the electronic handbrake on then blip the throttle to release the clutch, the ECU releases the handbrake again, as it thinks I am driving off. It is annoying to say the least. I can just about learn a new skill these days of switching off the engine on the drive before releasing the clutch, and the Audi won't let me start the engine unless the clutch is in, so those aspects are covered, but what about day to day driving?

Even changing gear on the move seems to lurch a bit, like a hard clutch dump even when I haven't done so. As said in the Audi goodwill thread, I have two other cars both on over 200,000 miles on original clutches, so I like to think I can be mechanically sympathetic, but it seems new technology is forcing me not to be.

Is this just bad design, or are the designers clever enough to screw over us careful drivers who paid very little for long term maintenance in the past?

Edited by Rob C on 30/04/2011 at 13:26

How to avoid DMF failure - RT
Is this just bad design, or are the designers clever enough to screw over us careful drivers who paid very little for long term maintenance in the past?

It's a design and engineering "Catch-22".

Modern turbo-diesels develop a lot of torque - if a traditional clutch/flywheel were used the shock loading on the transmission would be very high - which would cause premature transmission failure or demand the use of very heavy duty components, like HGVs use - but then owners would complain the clutch/gearchange is too slow and too heavy.

So the DMF evolved - but then it fails prematurely.

The engineering answer is to use a torque converter automatic with high torque diesels but that goes against environmental issues.

Perhaps more manufacturers should electronically restrict the torque whenever the clutch is being operated, as a few do in 1st gear - but this will reduce performance and increase emissions.

How do DSG transmissions fare when matched with a high-torque diesel?

Perhaps more manufacturers should electronically restrict the torque whenever the clutch is being operated, as a few do in 1st gear - but this will reduce performance and increase emissions.

Audi had a software frig on the 2.0 TDI 170's for a while I believe which backed of the torque on initiall pull-away, but people hated it and got the software put back to normal.

All of this said, the last 2 cars I've had have done around 60K each with no peep out of the DMF in any way. I think people are over paranoid about this, due to the old forum syndrome of , 'you dont get many people writing on a forum to say how well something is working', only the ones that have problems !

How to avoid DMF failure - outlier

Now that HJ has made several comments about DMFs recently and not releasing the clutch to idle, I start to wonder how exactly I should be driving these things, now that I have thrown in the towel with Audi and trying to get some money back on a failed DMF (some other thread last year.)

That was one of the main things I liked about diesels. I can see how it might not be good because you are relying on flywheel inertia to prevent stalling. Still, it never seemed to be an issue with older TDs which I guess did not have DMFs (maybe because engines were bigger, as todays 1.6 TD is like an old 1.9TD). And what about transit vans..? You could certainly get a lot of shunt in the driveline by hammering through the gears in older TDs, also when hammering it 2nd gear came up very quickly with a seemingly huge amount of rotational inertia (you got the feeling the engine might "take off").

How to avoid DMF failure - jc2

Be reminded that there are a number of petrol engines with DMF but less likely to fail because of lower torque-particularly in the off-idle area.

How to avoid DMF failure - outlier

Be reminded that there are a number of petrol engines with DMF but less likely to fail because of lower torque-particularly in the off-idle area.

Do diesels really have higher torque from idle..? I thought torque falls off a cliff as you go from 1500 rpm to idle rpm because you are off boost. I can see they have higher stalling torque, but I always presumed that was due to higher reciprocating masses (i.e. flywheel effect). Once the turbo kicks in then of course they have much higher torque (from relatively low revs), hence the need to beef up many of the parts in the drivetrain.

How to avoid DMF failure - unthrottled

The actual time averaged torque (ie the one you see on the performance chart isn't the problem. The problem is the massive torque fluctuations which occur each time a piston passes TDC. These torque fluctuations are heavily dependent on effective compression ratio. Since the effective compression ratio of a diesel is ~15 and the effective compression ratio of a petrol is ~9, the torque fluctuations in a diesel are over twice as large as that of a petrol. Actually the problem is worse than that since since diesels are unthrottled so even at low load, the gas pressure in the cylinder is always high. The time averaged torque is, in itself, fairly insignificant relative to the peaks and troughs.

So should I leave my left foot in when stationary in traffic or at lights?

How to avoid DMF failure - madf

When I see how many drivers park - with excessive revs mounting kerbs, or stop and start with lots of jerks, or brake , stop, and let the clutch out stalling the engine, it's a wonder any DMF survives....

No. Clutches should only be disengaged (pedal down) for short periods of time. Extended periods of clutch disengagement can cause premature wear of the throw-out bearing.

The kindest method of operation is to remember: the higher the load, the higher the RPM of the gear change. This is the pattern that automatic transmissions follow, yields the minimum stress on the engine and drivetrain and gives the most control to the driver.

This is intuitively correct and learner drivers automatically follow this pattern. Unfortunately this is often displaced by 'select-a-gear-for-the-day' laziness or a mistaken belief that lugging the engine down to 1200 RPM will always yield the best economy. 1200 RPM is great for pottering-but not for acceleration.

Thing is, I can tell when I'm stressing a vehicle with incorrect revs or poor clutch use. I can feel it through the car like any moderately accomplishe and sensitive driver, but now, according to HJ, just sitting in neutral at idle and lifting the clutch pedal so I can take my feet off the pedals is causing damage to my car?

Can this be true? The car makes no noise as I do it, the revs don't alter at all, there is no judder or cough. Its not an unreasonable thing for any motorist to do but not doing it is counter-intuitive and in my case means I have to learn a new way of juggling the elec handbrake, clutch, brake and throttle.

Thing is, I can tell when I'm stressing a vehicle with incorrect revs

With the greatest of respect you can't! You can tell when engine mounts and insulation are least effective and the most noise and vibration is transmitted to the cabin; driver perception doesn't necessarily corrospond to engine stress.

according to HJ, just sitting in neutral at idle and lifting the clutch pedal so I can take my feet off the pedals is causing damage to my car?

A dose of optimax should make the engine idle so smoothly that the DMF will last much longer eh, HJ? Nonsense! The torque fluctuations are minimised at idle. if it doesn't survive at idle, it won't urvive under load.

Edited by unthrottled on 23/05/2011 at 15:00

How to avoid DMF failure - BigJohnD

I remember my driving instructor telling me that the only time your foot goes on the clutch is to change gear.

How to avoid DMF failure - TeeCee

I remember my driving instructor telling me that the only time your foot goes on the clutch is to change gear.

There's a generation of us grew up with BMC graphite clutch release bearings. Self-adjusting, but if you made a habit of touching the clutch when it wasn't strictly necessary you paid for it! Out of gear, handbrake on, clutch up when idling was de rigeur on all vehicles so fitted. The alternative was sub 20k clutch life.

TANGENT ALERT I once cranked my prelude without the clutch depressed, rather than lurch forward or jerk, the beasty just fired right up to 1500rpm instantly in 1st gear and drove off towards a wall ;) No harm done, passengers thought it was hillarious. Such a good car.

Had the same thing on my wifes Nissan Sunny, started it up from outside the car, and it was such a good starter it started and smashed into the step outside the house with moderate damage to the front valance !