Ka and Supersites in the North - Neil
Trade-sales of Slough currently have Ka Collections at £6299 (around £6500 after VED and administration). The only Supersite towards the North of England (I live, for my sins, in Sunderland) I'm aware of is Motorpoint who are offering the same Ka Collection at about £7000, which with a warranty is little different than through Ford Direct.

Currently a 2000W Ka Collection with between 5000 and 10000 miles is selling for around £6500.

Is anyone aware of any Supersites in the North, and also are there any pitfalls involving Trade-sales of Slough? Should I be tempted?
Re: Ka and Supersites in the North - Andrew Bairsto
they are 1500 cheaper in Germany but then you would have to suffer lhd but you could always come back and change it a year later.Also one mistake people who import cars themselves make is not to pay the tax in the country of purchase ie Vat is 16% in Germany and if you haved payed the UK cannot ask for it again
Re: Ka and Supersites in the North - Andrew Barnes
Doesn't work like that, you have to pay UK VAT in order to register the car. Then you would have to claim back the German VAT.

Andrew
I do not think you are correct .First you bring the car with German papers on a 5 day plate that costs 70dm for your tax and insurance.You will need a German Address to register the vehicle or if you do not have one the German retailer will give you what is called a days registration. You then register the car in the Uk handing over the type approval docs and the vehicle then gets a plate appropriate to its age with a uk log book.I have done this a few times for friends who wanted cheap Porshes.Once you have paid VAT in a EU member state you are allowed to to move that product without let or hindrence throughout the EU.Please do not forget you are NOT importing the vehicle only moving its residence .There is no such thing as importing or exporting within the EU boundries .That is where many so called car importers make a little extra cash buy charging you the full UK vat
If the vehicle is an NMT ( New means of Transport - less than 6 months old) you HAVE to pay UK VAT. From the Customs & Excise website:

3.7 Circumstances in which VAT may not be due

All movements of NMT to the UK are liable to VAT, except where the NMT is a vehicle constructed or adapted for a disabled person in accordance with Group 12 item 2(f) to schedule 8 of the Value Added Tax Act 1994

The Porsches you brought over must have been over 6 months old then?

Andrew
Interesting because they were new with German one day registered
and everything was above board .They were registerd at Leeds tax office and all within the last three years
I believe the rules were revised in March 2000. I import from Denmark, they have to pay 200% VAT, I feel very sorry for them! A Golf 1.8T costs about 30K

Andrew
I believe the rules were revised in March 2000. I import from Denmark, they have to pay 200% VAT, I feel very sorry for them! A Golf 1.8T costs about 30K

Andrew
The system I used on furter checking is called the margin scheme where duty paid in one Eu country is acceptable in the UK .RE Denmark or north west Germany if you think the tax on cars is high there try Brasil where an imported 104 cost more than a c class in the uk.It is only the UK that tries to give the private punter illegal griefit is so out of step with the rest of Europe it might as well be in space
regards Andy Bairsto
Re: Ka and Supersites in the North - Neil
Unfortunately, Germany is a little too far. Perhaps, if the UK joined the rest of the world (excluding Japan) and drove on the right, then the lhd wouldn't be a problem.
And back to the thread. . .

I'm thinking of buying a Ford Ka, not a Porsche for which I'd barely aford the insurance. Despite being a named driver for three years, a motorcyclist for seven years, and a member of the IAM, the best quote, at 28 years, for the group 2E Ka has been £570 - the rest were around £700, the worse was £1800.

Any thoughts on the pros, cons, and availability of Supersites (preferably in the North of England)?
Re: Ka and Supersites in the North - Dave
I'm your age. I tried a similar quote for a Ka last year (for comparison purposes) and got 129gbp fully comp.

(Less than I pay on a Rover 414i TPO I might add)

You must have no low NCD at all or a ban or something.

Phone around more and don't forget to HAGGLE with them.

I have 9 points in the last 5 years. (All over 3 years ago though)
Re: Ka and Supersites in the North - honest john
Try Fords of Winsford, Cheshire. (The 'Ford' isn't anything to do with 'Ford', the manufacturer.)

HJ
Re: Ka and Supersites in the North - Jon Shaw
I used Ian Shipton Cars of Burton on Trent (after HJ mention in Torygraph) - more midlands than North, but as cheap as Motorpoint and MUCH better service.
2p
jon
Re: Ka and Supersites in the North - Alvin Booth
Neil,
I dealt with Motorpoint of Derby and got a very good deal.
Picked up the Daily Mirror (Fridays edition) at the Mother in Law's today and saw a full page advert for Motorpoint.
It was showing two Motorpoint sites. One at Derby which is local to me and also showing an address at Burnley.
I assume they now have two sites.
have a look at their website and see if it shows it.
I don't really think you can talk of Motorpoint and Ian Shipton cars at Burton on the same scale.
Alvin
I went through a local dealer who, like other Ford dealers are offering a 0% finance and insurance package which would have cost me around £1K (9% APR and first insurance with no NCD). The final price was £7200 (£860 less than list) which includes Ford's three-year warranty (a similar warranty from Trade-sales is about £450).

The best price I received was from Carpricecheck.com (£7174).

I doubt the above deal is unbeatable but it seemed a reasonable package from Jennings Ford in South Shields.