DMF and Stop/Start Technology - DavidGlos

i was doing a little research into Dual Mass Flywheels the other day. Some of the information came from Wikipedia, so i can't vouch for it's accuracy, but more than one website suggested the following. on the proviso that the driver of a DMF equipped vehicle drives it with some mechanical sympathy (no slipping the clutch, full throttle standing starts etc.), the time that the DMF takes something of a pounding is when the engine is started or stopped.

This got me thinking... Given the current trend for stop/start technology to reduce emissions, could this have a negative impact on DMF life? i know that starter motors, batteries etc are beefed up to take account of the stop/start facility, but i doubt whether anybody has started fitting a more robust DMF.

Thoughts...?

DMF and Stop/Start technology - kithmo

Maybe the Stop-Start versions don't have a DMF ?

DMF and Stop/Start technology - Graham567

i had heard that as long as the clutch is pressed in when stopping or starting the car then the dmf doesn't suffer.

My Mondeo will only allow me to push the starter button if the clutch is depressed.

DMF and Stop/Start technology - WellKnownSid

what about that other great motoring invention - the Diesel Particulate Filter?

one would have through that during start-up there was bound to be a bit of over-fueling (or rather, under-combustion) and hence a surge of particulates. i know our Fiat multijet always likes to let out a generous puff of black soot every start, even when hot ;)