Honda Accord 2.0 2001 manual - Transmission Oil change - Theunisse

I'm about to do a routine service in a couple of weeks' time - oil & filter changes etc. The car has done almost 130k now and I don't know if the transmission oil has ever been changed so I am considering changing this as well.

I know it hasn't been changed in the last 4 years whilst I have owned the car (I bought it when it had done 98k miles).

How much oil am I likely to need to buy to do the change?

Honda accord 2.0 2001 manual - Transmission Oil change - bathtub tom

Try the handbook, or this site:

www.commaoil.com/

honda accord 2.0 2001 manual - transmission oil change - Theunisse

thanks - ive had a look at the technical manual and 2 litres will cover it.

i also had a look at the commaoils.com that you recommended and eurocarparts.com. it has thrown up another question though. all of the transmission fluids were described as automatic transmission fluids. this may seem a stupid question to people in the know, but is it ok to put this into a manual gearbox? i've seen on some forums that the correct fluid is honda MtF-3 (Manual transmission Fluid), but can't track down a supplier on the net to check prices.

honda accord 2.0 2001 manual - transmission oil change - keybored

Don't put automatic transmission fluid in it whatever you do. Go to a honda dealer to buy the MtF; that's what i had to do with my cRV.

Edited by keybored on 22/03/2010 at 14:13

honda accord 2.0 2001 manual - transmission oil change - bathtub tom

>>all of the transmission fluids were described as automatic transmission fluids.

that's right, they're for auto transmission. You didn't fully describe your car and i couldn't exactly identify it, therefore i just gave you the link.

i put my car registration number into both the websites and both suggested automatic transmission fluid, despite correctly identifying the car as a manual...

they didn't appear to stock any manual transmission fluids.

honda accord 2.0 2001 manual - transmission oil change - WellKnownSid
both suggested automatic transmission fluid, despite correctly identifying the car as a manual...

The websites are not normally that intelligent. They'll often narrow down the products, but will still list a wide range that may only be appropriate for certain variants, plus they'll often throw wildcards in (like offering a choice of four or six HT leads for my six cylinder engine!).

Edited by WellKnownSid on 22/03/2010 at 19:00

i get the feeling a trip to the honda garage is in order to make sure i get the correct fluid.

Just out of interest, how do the oils differ for manual and auto transmission?

I got the correct MTF transmission fluid from the Honda dealership and got the job done this morning. One tip though - if you take a used oil container with you the garage will sell you the MTF from bulk at less than £4.00 per litre otherwise (like me) you'll end up paying £11.00 per litre for the litre bottles.