Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - pmh
Friend has just put a qty of petrol in his diesel car. Driven about 10 miles before realising.
It is still running.

Mix is about 80% petrol 20% diesel and tank is probably abot 75% full.

My initial advice was not to use further, siphon out as much as possible and top up with clean diesel before further driving, (this is difficult because he is 10 miles from civilisation.

Any better informed comments please. What is max % petrol that can temparily tolerated.

Car is 1998 306 diesel estate (Not sure if Turbo?).

(for David W, yes it is the same 306 with the exploding airbag. Not yet settled by P, but I will tell you the final outcome).

pmh (was peter)
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - RichardW
If it was 80:20 D:P I would say it was probably OK, but 80:20 P:D is not OK! It needs to be drained and refilled with diesl. I was once in a diesel minibus that got filled up with petrol - it went about 20 miles then lost almost all power and began smoking like a good-un. Kept going (very rough) for another 20 miles to the garage to get it drained, but not sure what the long term damage might have been!

Time to call out his breakdown cover, and prepare to be shamed....

Richard
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - M.M
Peter,

Look forward to the final airbag answer.

Last year I had a Laguna diesel that suffered a ten mile run on roughly the same 80/20 petrol/diesel mix, guy got it here before it gave out and no lasting damage was done. Oddly enough I couldn't get the thing to start afterwards and eventually found three of the glow plugs "burnt out". After fitting a new set it started and has been OK for a further 15,000 miles.

The pumped out mixture kept me in parts wash fluid for ages!

MM
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - BrianW
If your friend is in a motoring organisation with Homestart, call them out.
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - Simon Templar

Absolutely, do not drive it,too risky.I have done it myself & narrowly escaped unpleasant financial penalties.Others known to me have unwittingly driven on & suffered.
Simon T.
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - Steve S
You're right, don't drive further. Get it towed, drained & flushed. Shouldn't be any damage.
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Maybe it's a bad idea to buy a second hand diesel, methinks.........................
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - HF
Paul, noooooooooooo!!!!
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - Dave_TD
That's cruel, don't be so horrible to the poor lass!
I've had loads of them, HF, it's rare for someone to nearly wreck a diesel, they either do it properly or not at all.
Don't worry!
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - HF
Thanks Dave!

Hopefully I won't do it properly either!

Nice to talk to you again.
HF
Petrol in Diesel URGENT answer reqd pse - Dave_TD
You too, it's my birthday now it's gone midnight :o)))) but I'm 30 :o(