Dodgy diesel on TV tonight - Tony Bee
Anyone see the report on dodgy diesel ?
One shot showed a fuel pump selling diesel suspiciously cheaply,i.e. 72.9 p per litre.
I`ve just filled up on the A414 with diesel 4 or 5 or 6 pence per litre cheaper than "normal". It was wearing Shell logos everywhere so I should be safe.Shouldn`t I ???????
Dodgy diesel on TV tonight - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Didn't see the report. What was dodgy about it?
Dodgy diesel on TV tonight - Andy P
There were severtal threads to this story -

garages selling diesel smuggled from southern Ireland, where fuel duty is lower

garges selling diesel which had been mixed with kerosene

plants removing the dye from red diesel

In the second case, it was easy to tell the difference. Normal diesel should be almost colourless. The mixed stuff looked almost the same as cooking oil.

MC
Dodgy diesel on TV tonight - Onetap
I missed the programme. The red dye can be taken out with absorbents, so that the fuel looks kosher, but this won't touch the chemical tracers. The abrasive absorbents will also have unpleasant effects on fuel pumps & injectors.

I didn't know kerosene/paraffin mixed with diesel would work.

It might be wise to start keeping receipts for diesel fuel. Customs and Excise may start more widespread testing in response to the cooking oil scam. Motorists will get penalized, even if they've unwittingly bought dodgy diesel from a forecourt, unless they can provide receipts corresponding to their mileage.
Dodgy diesel on TV tonight - andymc {P}
This subject was discussed at some length in this thread: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=81...8

I've tried to put as much factual information as I could in there.