Top gear and cooking oil - Andy22
What's all this about?

I have a diesel and am dersperate to know whats going on with this cooking oil thing. Is it totally legal? Is it a new liable fuel for the future?

How on earth can cooking oil be combustable, i now diesel isn't that combustable but at least its part of the fractional distilation process!!!

Some technical minded person or even someone who's tried it must be able to shed some light on this?
Top gear and cooking oil - T Lucas
Its not legal to run your diesel engined car on the roads in the UK without paying fuel duty.You can register to do this with C&E but then the price advantage is lost.Most diesel engined cars seem to run just fine on the cooking oil(vegetable oil)We used a Toyota Hi-Lux TD on it for quite some time and it was perfect with upto 80% mix,cold starts no problem.The thing that i like is the fact that its a sustainable fuel and given present world tensions we could tell the OPEC johnnies where to stick their crude oil.My friend has got a 2002 Passat TD and runs that on cooking oil from Safeways on he says about 75% mix without any probs.I think the biggest problem is putting that first tub of cooking oil in the filler,it just does not seem right!It does of course make a differnt smell out of the back of the car,sort of cooking donuts/chippie/Macdonalds which can of course be a bit of a giveaway.
Top gear and cooking oil - Cliff Pope
I know people who use bulk cooking oil from cash and carries. That is new and presumably clean.
Old oil would need the bits of chip etc filtering out, and the exhaust would tend to smell of whatever you had been cooking.

Of course cooking oil is combustible - ever seen a chip pan fire?
Top gear and cooking oil - bernie
Mr Lucas,75% mix,cooking oil and ?????
Top gear and cooking oil - Blue {P}
Apparently even if you do it legally and pay tax, if you get your oil from restauraunts etc. then it still only works out at about 26p per lite! :) So I've heard anyway...
Top gear and cooking oil - timp
According to last night's Top Gear:

To make 100ml:

97ml used vegetable oil (filtered through jay-cloth and sieve to remove sediment). Used vegetable oil is recommended - it works better than new vegetable oil.

3ml white spirit (without kerosene - very important).

This lot costs about 3p/litre.

You need to declare this to Customs & Excise - who will charge you 26p/litre tax. Total cost 29p/litre.

I haven't tried this. I don't drive a diesel. I suspect it would invalidate your warranty if you tried it (if your car is still under warranty).

Top Gear successfully tested an old Volvo saloon with a completely empty tank and fuel system (had to prime the fuel system first to remove the air).
Top gear and cooking oil - IanT
I would read some significance into the fact that Top Gear were only prepared to risk an old (very old?) Volvo in their experiment. It showed a lack of confidence.

The fact that a diesel will run on the mixture tells you little about the long-term effects on the engine, such as blocked injectors or carboned-up valves. There may not be any such long-term effects, but this experiment doesn't prove it. My own conclusion is that cooking oil should be reserved for near end-of-life Volvos.
Top gear and cooking oil - T Lucas
Sorry for not making it clearer,but 75% mix is 75% cooking oil and 25% ordinary derv,remember though it is illegal and you know how there are people out there ready to grass you up to the Feds.Maybe some cars might not like running on veggie oil but all the different people i have spoken to and running different cars have never had any problems but they are all running on brand new veggie oil.Chip shop oil is usually different, its a product called 'palm oil'and will solidify at quite warm temperatures-not much good this time of year in the UK.As ever with anything different there are going to be lots of urban myths about it.
Top gear and cooking oil - andymc {P}
Iant, that's the reason I use biodiesel (mine's all legal & above board, by the way) rather than veggie oil - you can end up with coking of the injectors, especially in DI engines - IDI engines seem to be able to cope with straight veggie oil better. If you look at the FAQs on this site you'll get a few links to some sites about biodiesel and vegetable oil, including one with a list of legal, C&E registered suppliers of biodiesel in the UK.

I've run a 110 bhp Seat Leon TDi *from new* on biodiesel (converted veggie oil with all the waxes and tallows taken out) for 17000 miles. I've also been running it in my wife's Renault Clio dci 1.5 for 8000 miles. I average about 58 mpg in the Leon, performance is good, possibly a little better than on derv. The Clio tends to get about 63 mpg, but as it's a common rail engine and a smaller car I would expect that.

All VW group diesel cars (Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda) are warrantied for use with 100% biodiesel.

As has been mentioned above, doing what Clarkson did is not illegal if you pay the tax on the veggie oil you use as road fuel. Since this will still work out cheaper per litre than LPG, while at the same time giving up to double the mpg, it's hard to see why anyone with a diesel car out of its warranty wouldn't do it, especially if it's an IDI engine. One of the most popular cars people use for running straight veggie oil is the Merc 300D.
Top gear and cooking oil - Macker
So how much is biodiesel per litre?
I pay 73p a litre at the moment. Collecting large quantities and treating it to produce a *quality* fuel adds to the production cost. Then Gordon takes his whack., which brings the price up. At least it's possible now - until the tax break was brought in in July, it wasn't possible to produce good biodiesel commercially that would compete with derv.
BTW, Andy22 - the diesel engine was originally invented to run on peanut oil, so it's not a new fuel idea at all! ;)
This is a quote from the biodiesel discussion forum (link in the FAQs on this site) which sums up my reasons for using a veggie-oil based fuel -

What my fuel did today:
Saved a farm
Fed some stock
Cooked 100 meals
Saved someone from cancer
Reduced pollution 95%
Drove my car to work
And by next year, it?ll do it again
Be glad it?s renewable

What did your fuel do?
Fought a war
Killed a child
Helped a dictator
Raped the wilderness
Poisoned the ground
Poisoned the air
Started a cancer
Then drove you to work

Be glad it?s NOT renewable
Top gear and cooking oil - Macker
Thanks. Had a quick look around on google and it ranges between 74p and £1 per litre.

I wish it were available in more places - at least we would have a choice - even if it does cost more.

£1 a litre suggest biodiesel made from unused veggie oil - 74p is more likely to be made from recycled cooking oil. Some people reckon this is actually better for the engine. Don't have any experience of the dearer stuff myself, so I couldn't comment on that.
Top gear and cooking oil - steve paterson
I know what this is going to lead to. All of us chip loving fatties are going to be seen as tax evading criminals every time we buy a couple of pints of cooking oil. Then it's back to the lard and all of the subsequent health problems.
Top gear and cooking oil - Marcus
Does anyone know how much cooking oil your average Fish and Chip shop discards each week?
Top gear and cooking oil - trahenyhr
Having just bought a used Mitsubishi Carisma diesel, I am interested to know if I can run it successfully on a mixture of diesel and new vegetable oil as I do not want to go to the trouble and expense of conversion kits etc. The main issue as I understand it is whether or not it is direct or indirect injenction and the type of fuel pump that is fitted. I understand that it is in fact fitted with a Renault 1.9 turbo diesel engine, would this be a suitable candidate? If so, what sort of ratio of diesel to vegetable oil (duty paid to HM Customs, naturally!)would be best?
Top gear and cooking oil - Martin Devon
Timp,

According to the Committee here, the filtering should be through a silk stocking and not a 'J' cloth. Who am I to argue?????
10 microns is the best filtering for veggie oil/biodiesel - silk may not even be able to manage that!
Top gear and cooking oil - Chris
Does anyone know whey kerosene can not be part of the white spirit; when kerosene can be mixed with diesel to prevent waxing at low temperatures, and used in a diesel engine? In the earlier comments it says:

"To make 100ml:

97ml used vegetable oil (filtered through jay-cloth and sieve to remove sediment). Used vegetable oil is recommended - it works better than new vegetable oil.

3ml white spirit (without kerosene - very important)".

Top gear and cooking oil - pastyman
No keresene,

Thats easy, kero is a absolute no no for a road fuel as its not taxed as a road fuel or even as a rebated road fuel, its the same reason we're not allowed to use parrafin for road fuel.

Pastyman..
Top gear and cooking oil - Andrew-T
I like the comment about 'sustainable fuel and telling OPEC johnnies etc.'. If running diesels on cooking oil really caught on, (a) would we all have to eat as many chips as possible to maintain supply, (b) would fresh cooking oil rocket in price or just become unobtainable, and (c) would most of our arable land disappear under a forest of sunflowers ? [ where does he think much of our cooking oil comes from - UK ? ] I think it is a superb idea for getting further use out of used oil, but on a national scale? - I think not.
I think it's possible for the UK to replace up to 15% of its diesel use with biodiesel - can't remember though if that's for biodiesel made from used oil only, or if biodiesel made from fresh oil is also included in that. But think how much of an impact even 15% would have! At the moment, the usage is a fraction of 1%, so there's still a long way to go.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that the figure of 15% is based on production of food-grade oil. As this crop would be produced for fuel, it would be non-food grade oil. As far as I remember, this means that the yield could be significantly higher, though I'll have to check back and confirm that.

As far as forests of sunflowers go, it would more likely be rape - rapeseed oil makes some of the best biodiesel, has a high yield per hectare and is ideally suited to our climate - don't think sunflowers are, especially not this week!

On a more serious note, many farmers are paid an EU subsidy to set aside land for disuse, as a means of controlling food production and prices. Why couldn't they get that subsidy for growing our own domestically produced fuel, which would contribute to our own economy, make agriculture productive, and reduce our dependence on imported fuel?

Of course, the French do this already. And they add around 5% biodiesel to ALL diesel fuel sold at the pump in France. Which means all Peugeot, Citroen and Renault diesel engines can use biodiesel. And aren't Nissan sharing engines with Renault too?
Top gear and cooking oil - Oilburner
Cooking oil and white spirit? Is it really that easy? If so what is the advantage of using biodiesel?

The white spirit may help to thin the oil enough to allow it to pass through an injector without pre-heating, but it seems a bit short-termist to me. Normally, running on pure SVO (as opposed to mixing with derv, up to 75%) necessitates carrying out vegetable oil conversions so that the car has a pre-heating system and two tanks - one for biodiesel or derv, which you use to start the engine and run on until it's hot, and then switch back over to again a minute or so before switching off. The second tank would be for the Straight Veggie Oil. SVO is thicker than biodiesel or derv, and can gel in fuel lines or injectors, especially at lower temperatures. This means that if you don't purge the SVO by switching over to biodiesel or derv before shutting the engine off, you have a high risk of clogging the engine. This is particularly true for the modern direct injection diesels today's car buyers want - the older tech indirect injection engines seem less prone to this, but are usually less refined, lower performance engines.

Thing is, white spirit *may* thin the SVO down to the point that it doesn't need preheating, but it doesn't get rid of the waxes that any vegetable oil contains, nor does it get rid of the tallows that will still be present in SVO that has been used for cooking meat - chicken gougons, for example! So over longer term use you could end up with coking of the injectors, or a ruined pump (especially rotary pumps). Biodiesel is a properly purified version of SVO, which doesn't need preheating, doesn't necessitate a conversion of the engine, and doesn't risk ruining your injectors or fuel pump or clogging your engine. Plus a lot of modern diesel cars are warrantied for use with biodiesel in some proportion, varying from 5% to 100% (although there usually isn't any reason other than manufacturer's ignorance for warrantying below 100%), which you won't have for using SVO at all.

I've used pure biodiesel down to minus 10 degrees - you just couldn't do that on vegetable oil. I buy it from a reputable supplier at a slightly lower price than that of derv, but I get slightly better economy and slightly better performance from it. It's clean, it's guilt-free, it doesn't cause any wars, it's a domestically produced fuel, it's more lubricating for my engine, it's slightly better value than derv and the government gets less of the price of it - result!!!
Top gear and cooking oil - Soupytwist
As someone who will soon be taking delivery of a VAG diesel, this is very interesting. However, as I am a bit thick I can't seem to find the FAQ question about it, can anyone point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Anyone in Essex sell it ?
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Top gear and cooking oil - Mr Smegma
Does anyone know where Biodiesel is available in the North? I'm in York and would love to run on this stuff, but I don't have the time/facilities to make it myself and organise the tax.
According to :

www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/outlets.htm

there's an outlet in Doncaster.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Top gear and cooking oil - MisterMethane
I think the only reason some cars are only able to run on a mixture of 5% biodiesel is that the rubber seals in the fuel system aren't up to the job. Greenergy make biodiesel from rapeseed oil whilst Rix use recycled oils.

www.greenergy.co.uk/index.html

www.rixbiodiesel.co.uk/
Yes, many manufacturers only warranty for 5% blend of biodiesel. There isn't much (well, any) logic to this. With regard to rubber seals and pipes, it used to be true that biodiesel would corrode these in older engines. But no longer - the same effect comes from using ULSD, which is now widely used across the EU. Manufacturers were aware of the fact that ULSD rots organic rubber, so started making diesel engines with lines and seals made of viton, a synthetic rubber, in preparation for the introduction of the new derv. By chance, they therefore made it possible to run biodiesel in a car without having to replace fuel lines and seals first.

For older cars, pre 1995 (or is it 1996?), the bits made of organic rubber are probably so vulcanised as to be impervious to dynamite, let alone biodiesel. The only thing to remember about running biodiesel for the first time in an older or higher mileage car is to wait till you're just a few hundred miles away from your next service. The reason for this is that an engine that's been running diesel for, say, 60000 miles, has a fair amount of crud from the fossil fuel deposited in the bottom of the tank. The first thing biodiesel will do is clean that out, which is good for your engine. However, because it cleans it out pretty quickly, you will end up with clogged fuel filters, which will make the engine die till they're changed. So wait until you're about to change them at the service, then you don't have to change them again!
Top gear and cooking oil - JohnD
Take a look at this site! - www.veggiepower.org.uk
This site has contacts for biodiesel suppliers in the UK (including mine in Belfast)

www.biofuels.fsnet.co.uk/biobiz.htm
There's one in Kent and another in Suffolk, btw.
Another site is biodiesel.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic/a/cfrm
which is a global forum on using biodiesel and SVO, and includes a UK specific section.

I live almost 50 miles from my supplier, so I fill both the car and the boot. Biodiesel is as safe to transport as vegetable oil - it's actually classified as "non-flammable"! - so there aren't any risks to having a whole lot of jerrycans or plastic drums, unless you have a bad back.
If I run out of biodiesel before I can get another supply in, I just put a tenner of derv in - the two are completely miscible and interchangeable.
Tips:
1) clear plastic drums can easily be filled to the top without overflowing, but with steel jerrycans you may need a few rags and some sawdust.
2) never spill biodiesel on your paintwork.
3) if you do, wipe it off immediately.
4) try not to spill it on tarmac either
5) it's a great weedkiller too
Top gear and cooking oil - Vin {P}
If one did put veggie oil mix into the tank, is it something that can be detected if the C&E dip your tank? I thought that just checked for the dye in red diesel, but I assume I must be wrong on this.

V
Pretty sure they can detect it, if only by the smell of the exhaust. If it's a 50:50 mix, it may be harder to detect, I don't know. But as I was saying earlier, if you want to run on SVO then even if you do declare it to C&E and pay all the duty, it's still cheaper than LPG for around double the mileage. Plus if you pay the duty on half of what you use and keep the paperwork, what are they going to do, follow you round to see how many miles you're doing? Of course, I would never advocate that anyone should do something so dishonest and low, as I hold HMC&E in the highest regard. Guardians of the nation, they are.
Top gear and cooking oil - crazed
would this be the same C & E that are running an out of control private army confiscating the publics property and cars at the ports for doing nothing illegal, despite being told to lay off by the judges and politicians ?
Top gear and cooking oil - crazed
while letting lots of illegal immigrants through ?

i think we should be told
"Pretty sure they can detect it, if only by the smell of the exhaust. "

I think that "It smelt like a chip shop" might not stand up in court, so I repeat the question, can they tell you're on veggie oil if you're dipped?
Top gear and cooking oil - pastyman
"H.M Customs & Excise Sir, we ARE going to take a sample from your fuel tank to check that you are not running on rebated (red) diesel", (so we nail you you to the floor if you are).

I've had the fuel tank on my truck dipped at a ministry check point in the past and you would be very well imformed that they can detect bio-diesel just by looking at it through a glass jar, mainly because of a slight colour difference with normal diesel and using a hydrometer, the specific gravity of bio-diesel is slighly lower than normal diesel, incidentaly, also traffic police can conduct checks for the use of illegal fuels.
Customs also use vans which are mobile labs basically, they can tell if the fuel has been bought in europe or if red diesel has been chemically altered to take the dye out by the use of acids.
The long and short is, if your caught using untaxed fuel then its a big fine plus loss of vehicle. If you lucky, you might get the vehicle back once the fine and back duty has been paid.

Pastyman..........
Top gear and cooking oil - Carl2
Perhaps I missed something here but the Volvo seemed to have the "fuel" added to the "empty" car then with what must be the quickest priming I have ever seen the car burst into life. Is it really this quick and simple to start an empty Volvo. Is it possible the filter was left full of diesel.
Top gear and cooking oil - Jonathan {p}
The programme wasn't sent out 'live'. I suspect that they edited the film so as not to waste time, showing the rac chap priming the engine. If the glowplugs were working, then why wouldn't the car start up first time? After that, as long as the cylinder was heated, then the fuel would burn each time it was compressed.
The chemical test on diesel to determine if red dye has been removed is an alkaline test. This would turn biodiesel into liquid soap. However, C&E have no chemical test that I am aware of for distinguishing between biodiesel and vegetable oil. So if the guys in Wales had declared a tenth of what they were using and kept the receipt, they could have argued that that was what had been in the tank at the time of testing.

This of course would have been terribly dishonest and a disgraceful flaunting of the entirely justified fuel duty levied on a fuel made from something that would otherwise go in the landfill to feed rats, or choke the water drainage system.

By the way, I don't recommend using veggie oil the way Clarkson did. Apparently white spirit can damage all your flexible hoses and o-rings. Haven't heard any more on this yet but if I find out I'll post here. If you want to avoid this, or knackered fuel pumps, the best thing is properly produced biodiesel, a veggie oil conversion, or mixing veggie oil with a high proportion of diesel.
So, Andymc, am I right in thinking that if a chap (Welsh or otherwise) were to say to C&E that they had been running on 5% veggie on the basis that they didn't want to damage their engines, they could really have been running at 25% and C&E could never have disproved it?

Sounds plausible, given what you've said. Wish I drove a diesel.
Well, pretty much. I was thinking more in terms of the fact that even if you run your car on home-made biodiesel or on vegetable oil, it is still always possible to run it on derv bought at the pump as well. So if you had paid the fuel duty on 10 litres of vegetable oil and had the paperwork to prove it, there's nothing but scruples to stop you doing a thousand miles on untaxed veggie oil, then telling C&E if they dip you "Well actually I usually run on ordinary diesel but I thought I'd try this once in a while to keep my engine running clean. Look, here's the paperwork to show I paid the tax on ten litres last month. That's what's in my car right now." Even if they could keep a log of your mileage, they can't ask you for evidence that you did indeed buy derv at the pump. "Never got a receipt mate."

Actually doing this is of course very wrong, immoral and downright evil, and should never be attempted by anyone. If you do this, you could go to prison or to hell, and your immortal soul could burn for all eternity. (This is all possible). Up with taxes, god bless the C&E enforcers who are my heroes, etc.
Top gear and cooking oil - Emerson Fittipaldi
Lets face it guys, If the greedy government cut taxes on fuel, we (the consumer) would not have to go to these extremes to fuel our cars. High prices of fuel, appaling public transport system and then they have the cheek to impound cars of people who are trying to save a bit of hard earned cash, by filling their car up with something that is renewable and will benefit (hopefully) British farmers, who have had a real rough ride the last couple of years. Now where's that emigration form again?.......
Top gear and cooking oil - J Bonington Jagworth
"If the greedy government cut taxes on fuel, we (the consumer) would not have to go to these extremes to fuel our cars"

Same applies to alcohol and tobacco, of course. So much for EU tax harmonisation...
Top gear and cooking oil - Onetap
I missed this thread the first time around. Since the topic's being discussed again, a post will put it at the top again?
Be an interesting DIY challenge! - Andrew Hamilton
Lots home brew beer and wine. Some grow their own tobacco. Imagine mini oil processing plant in peoples back gardens. Wonder how Customs and Excise would control it. Guess the government would ban it under health and safety grounds!
Be an interesting DIY challenge! - BrianW
And once LPG becomes more popular, how are they going to check whether the gas in your car came from a garage pump or your central heating tank?
Be an interesting DIY challenge! - 9000
LPG is different from piped natural gas, you won't get a car to run on natural gas unless it has been compressed to a high pressure - then it's called CNG (compressed Natural Gas), I believe Volvo makes a CNG car at the moment. I understand that CNG vehicles are not dual fuel so are of limited use as CNG stations are few and far between in the UK. CNG is only really of use to back to base HGV fleet operators at the moment see (www.essocng.co.uk) although I think there will be home compressors available soon. These could be connected to your existing home gas supply and could slow fill your car overnight- you'd probably get 3 months credit from your gas supplier as well and you could qualify for Powershift conversion grants. Not sure whhat the fuel duty situation would be though. I guess it would only really take off if there were fast fill sites around the country.
I am interested to hear that white spirit can damage all your flexible hoses and o-rings; does kerosene do the same thing? Kerosene is advocated for mixing with diesel at low temperatures, where low temperature diesel is not available! We used to add kerosene to the diesel tanks of emergency vehicles in winter. An earlier article indicates that the white spirit should be kerosene free; why is this?
Top gear and cooking oil - Oz
My car is a BMW 320d. The whole subject is only of academic interest to me because I would not countenance using anything for a fuel which had not been quality controlled as a fuel. So does this make me an old f**t? No. I'm just someone who isn't too keen to spend loadsa money some time in the future having my fuel lines dismantled and replaced because they've become lined with oxidised vegetable oil or whatever, analogous to blood vessels in the human body.
Disclaimer: I have no connection with any oil company, and I like everyone else am appalled by fuel prices in the UK.
Top gear and cooking oil - puntoo
I heard a similar discussion on Radio Five (I missed topgear last night), and they had an expert who commented that unprocessed oils have a high water content and would rust away the engine in a short space of time. Does anyone know if this was just the usual Fear, Uncentainty and doubt that governments like to spread when they see a revenue stream under threat ?
Top gear and cooking oil - Ben79
Well, I wipe sunflower oil around the inside of my steel wok to stop it going rusty in between weekly stir fries. I don't see how the water content of oil will make engine components corrode.

Top gear and cooking oil - Onetap
All the fuels (petrol, diesel, LPG, CNG) are hydrocarbons, and mainly consist of carbon and hydrogen. When they're burnt, you will get oxides of carbon and hydrogen i.e., carbon dioxide and water vapour.

Unprocessed vegetable oil, especially used cooking oil, may have more water in it, but at normal running temperatures it will be water vapour and will go out the exhaust port, along with the water vapour produced by combustion. I can't see why it would be more corrosive than water vapour produced by a fossil fuel.

Then again, I wouldn't recommend running an engine of any great value on vegetable oil.
Top gear and cooking oil - Road Rocket
Hi, I run a 1.6 diesel fiesta bought expressly to experiment with vegetable oil. Previously running a couple of LPG motors.
I have tried 100% Tesco rapeseed oil successfully with a water heated fuel filter and an in line water to fuel heater I made myself. This setup worked very well when some heat got into the engine but very cold start-up was a bit rough (cough splutter!)with surge from the torque control in the injection pump. Probably caused by the rape oil being so thick as to restrict the moving parts. I have tried an electric heater that came on with the glow plugs but didn't make much difference.
By the way you will have to have some form of heater and on distributor pumps join the tank flow and return together before the fuel filter or it won't thin the oil enough and the engine won't rev due to the oil being too thick to refill the injection cylinder in time before the next injection point at high revs. That’s why old mercs are popular with there tractor like, in line injection pumps.

Once warm it pulled harder at the top end better than diesel (as in flat out on the governor (well its worthless and to its credit hasn't blown up yet in spite of 190,000 miles and a good hammering)) and was noticeably quieter also very clean exhaust visually.
Interestingly if the pump was turned up (in the pursuit of more power) the smoke produced was brown not black, but not worth the marginal increase in power.

I haven’t noticed any clogging problems except when the air gets to the oil and oxidises it by the fuel filler, very sticky!. I believe all the corrosion, water and sooting up talk is just to frighten people off after all Rudolf Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil originally. If you get vegetable oil to 100 degrees centigrade it then has the same viscosity as diesel.

When I started the oil cost 37p a litre now supermarkets have put it up to 42p due to demand. Getting hold of oil is also a problem as the shelves of cheap stuff are often empty. Filling it in is a pain from all those bottles, just think about how much fuel you use. Then the TAX problem if one were to pay the C&E the 45p per litre they want, it becomes a bit pricey. Using old chip oil would cut this back but what a hassle to store it and separate the crap out of it. The tax on pure veg oil is not as low as biodiesel to encourage use of biodiesel so the government retain control!

Due to the recent media interest I've gone back to diesel as I only use £20 a month. The other thing is the diesel fiesta only does 32mpg driven hard and I used to run a 1000cc petrol fiesta on LPG, which did 27mpg on the gas at 38p/liter and easy filling.

By the way the 1 litre LPG fiesta would blow the diesel one into the weeds performance and handling wise (due to the howling engine and lack of weighty engine up front trying to drag it into the bushes at every opportunity) so I'm going back to LPG when I find a suitable petrol car, Yee Haa!.

Hope I've helped and haven’t rambled on too much.
Remember children have fun, stay safe and don't get caught!

Top gear and cooking oil - alex parkinson
hiya do i have to drain my tank dry before i put the cooking oil in
Top gear and cooking oil - IanT
Alex -
I suggest you read every posting in this thread carefully before going ahead. Particularly read T. Lucas 21 Oct 02 19:01.

Ian
Top gear and cooking oil - Jeffers_S13
Has anyone who posted here, gone through the process of declaring to C&E ? whats involved ? much paperwork ? and how do they regulate it ?

Thanks

James
Top gear and cooking oil - raffles
Would just the odd bottle of "Spry Crisp'N'Dry" (or any other cooking oil) per tank of derv help with lubricity? Surely it would, but wouldn't be there in suffifient quantities a) to coke up the engine internals (if that is a risk) or b) worry C&E too much!

Happiness is a Honda C70 ridden by a prat!
Top gear and cooking oil - otter
How much can you add as a 'fuel additive' before C&E get worked up? If you can argue that you were adding veggie oil to every tank of diesel to make the engine burn cleaner and more quietly (much like a Millers additive or whatever), then I wonder how much you can get away with? I guess Greedy Gordon must have a formula somewhere?
Top gear and cooking oil - BMDUBYA
"....then I wonder how much you can get away with"

The answer is none. Basically if you use anything to power a motor vehicle, you have to pay duty at the rate set by customs and excise. I'm not sure here so correct me if I am wrong, VAT is not payable on cooking oil (food stuff), but you do pay VAT on fuel additives.

Just out of interest, I was told the other week that Sainsburys were going to start selling bio diesel, but I have yet to confirm this, anyone?
I’ve not seen anything about it on the Biodiesel forum that I sometimes go to. However, I would be surprised if they’re going to do anything other than offer a biodiesel/regluar diesel blend like the 5%/95% stuff sold from diesel pumps in France if only because they’re isn’t the biodiesel manufacturing capacity in the UK to supply a large scale retailer like Sainsbury’s with enough biodiesel to do anything else. However, it is a start and it’s what Rix in the North and Broadland Fuels in Norfolk have been doing for a little while now.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Top gear and cooking oil - Claude
Not quite correct!
Some motor vehicles are 'Excepted' vehicles and can use rebated fuel oil on a public road. There are restrictions but Excepted vehicles include Agricultual tractors, light agricultual vehicles, mowing machines, gritters and snow clearing vehicles, digging machines, road rollers etc.

Regarding additives, the answers are set out in 'Extra Statutory Concessions' which you can read on the following site: www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/48.htm

Section 6.4 : Hydocarbon oil duty: Excise Duty : Fuel substitutes, additives and extenders.

They've thought of everything !

I believe there is another extra statutory concession (though I couldnt find it) which allows for kerosene (duty not paid) to be mixed with duty paid road fuel in limited percentages where the sole purpose is to reduce the octane number for use in older engines(for example classic vehicles) or to eliminate waxing in diesel fuel where no 'cold weather' diesel is available.

Andy22

Cooking oil is flammable. The easyest way to picture it is to think of all the chip pan fires that therre have been in the UK, and elswhere.

The oil needs to be heated to reach its ignition temperature, in a similar way to deisel. This temperature should be lower under pressure, such a the compression phase in the deisel engine.

Alternatively, Cooking oil will ignite easily, at a relatively low temperature if atomised i.e. in a spray - think of the atomised deisel in the train crash, which resulted extensive, rapidly growing fires when the trains deisel tanks were ruptured resulting in a clowd of deisel, which then came into contact with hot surfaces.

I hope that this is of use.

Kind regards

Chris.
What's all this about?
I have a diesel and am dersperate to know whats going
on with this cooking oil thing. Is it totally legal?
Is it a new liable fuel for the future?
How on earth can cooking oil be combustable, i now diesel
isn't that combustable but at least its part of the fractional
distilation process!!!
Some technical minded person or even someone who's tried it must
be able to shed some light on this?

Top gear and cooking oil - Captain Beaky
How do you pay duty on this fuel?

I run a '89 transit, and I am not too worried about the engine, as it's on it's last legs anyway.

Cheers,

Mike.
Contact Customs & Excise and tell them you wish to start using vegetable oil for fuel and you need the appropriate paperwork to enable you to pay the duty. They should be quite helpful - if they aren't, post here again & I'll dig up some information for you. One thing to know is that if you're using veggie oil, the duty is payable when the oil is "set aside" for use as fuel. This means that if you bought a bulk amount and stored it in your garage, then C&E decided to pay you a visit, they would maintain that the duty on all the oil would be payable now, as it is obviously "set aside".

By the way, be clear about whether you're going to use vegetable oil or biodiesel - from a tax point of view they're the same thing, from your engine's point of view they're not.
Bio-diesel is taxed at 25.82p per litre. Other Fuel Substitutes are taxed as follows;
-If they are petrol substitutes at the rate charged for ULSP
-If they are diesel substitutes at the rate charged for ULSD

At the moment the rate for ULSP and ULSD is the same, 45.82p per litres.

See the following Customs and Excise websites for info on these and related topics.

FAQ: Road Fuels
www.hmce.gov.uk/business/othertaxes/roadfuelfaqs.h...m

Oil Fraud Strategy: (including introduction of new Euromarker)
www.hmce.gov.uk/business/othertaxes/ofs-summary-ri...f

Does your Business deal in red diesel or kerosene ?
www.hmce.gov.uk/business/othertaxes/registered-dea...f

Rates of fuel duty:
www.hmce.gov.uk/business/othertaxes/roadfuels.htm

Regarding the comment above on 'set aside'.

The duty is due on fuel substitute when:

- "sent out" from the premises of a producer or dealer for use as fuel in a road vehicle.

"Sent out" means delivery against an order which states either that:
- the product is for use as road fuel; or
- the excise duty is to be charged.

- "set aside" for use as fuel in a road vehicle.

"Set aside" means when any action is taken which clearly shows the product is intended for use as road fuel. For example when the product (on which the duty has not been previously paid) is:
i. received into a vessel which is marked to show its contents are:
- duty paid; or
- intended for use as road fuel;
or
ii. connected by cylinder, bottle or tank to a road vehicle’s fuel supply.
iii. taken into the fuel supply of a road vehicle.

And finally I should have added that the Defintion of a Bio-fuel is on the following website:
www.hmce.gov.uk/business/othertaxes/biodiesel.htm
Top gear and cooking oil - pullgees
Could someone tell me please what is the best ratio or percentage of svo to diesel in my peugeot 309?
I'm not interested in fitting a heat exchanger so I can run on neat svo I just want to keep it simple.
Also does cooking oil readily mix with diesel without stirring. Can I simply pour the oil on top of the diesel after I have filled up? I don't want to put the oil in first before filling up as there is a risk of drawing through fuel at the wrong vicosity while driving to a filling station and maybe clogging things up.
Top gear and cooking oil - robf
Hi
I've only recently found out about biodiesel/cooking oil etc and was concidering trying it first in my 309, so I'm interested to see how you got on.
Look forward to your reply
Many thanks
Rob.
Top gear and cooking oil - far0n
Just to clarify what you're saying.....

The compression part of a diesel engine is there to increase the temperature of the mixture so much that it reaches it's auto-ignition temperature and therefore BANG ! If you compress any substance it will get hotter, likewise if you expand something it will get cooler. If the compression is high enough you should
be able to produce enough heat to ignite the fuel without the need for glow plugs at all !

Hope that helps
Top gear and cooking oil - Mapmaker
Look at Dieselveg.com where they will sell you a conversion kit if you want to run (most of the time) on pure oil.