If my car fails its MoT - DavidHM
I have a 1989 Renault 19 that's up for an MoT next week, and although I don't think there's anything wrong with it, there's always the possibility it will fail because of something I can't foresee, e.g., suspension components. I'm willing to spend up to £300 to make it perfect, but any more, and it'll get scrapped.

With that in mind, given that I don't have the time to nurse another banger, what should I get? I'm willing to spend up to £4k. Priorities are space, low insurance, manouverability, and fuel economy, although lots of toys and a bit of performance would be nice. Age isn't as important. I don't want anything larger than 1.8 litres (petrol) or 2.0 (diesel). Not particularly keen on superminis, definitely no people carriers, and Mondeo/Passat size is larger than I need, although I wouldn't necessarily mind that.

What are your suggestions?
If my car fails its MoT - Blue {P}
That's a tough one, although the Mondeo definately fits the bill, there are some good ones aound for that money, and insurance and repairs are cheap, and they also have good performance and are generally comfortably equipped. But as you say, that may be a little large.

What do you use the car for? Mainly city, or motorway runs?
If my car fails its MoT - DavidHM
About half and half. A short daily commute, short jaunts around SW London in the evening, and a 400 mile round trip to my parents' every month or two.

I've seen an R plate Passat TDi for £4,500, which would reasonable after a bit of hagggling. Large, certainly, but economical and not too bad for insurance. Of course it'd be high mileage. I'd prefer something smaller but would never pay extra for a Golf. A Focus would be over budget, or it'd be perfect.

What counts as high mileage for a TDi, and should I be scared?
If my car fails its MoT - Dave_TD
I've got a Y reg Skoda Octavia diesel (same engine, only mine's got no turbo) with 120,000 miles fast approaching and no problems. One of my colleagues has a W-reg on 185,000 miles and still no problems. As long as the engine passes all the usual checks (starts ok, oil pressure ok, no funny noises etc) and it's been serviced correctly, it should be good for at least 200,000 miles, if not then a lot more!
If my car fails its MoT - madf
Beware of early Passats with high mileage. If like my A4, the suspension wishbone bushes at the front wear. Replacement costs are about £125 each.. plus labour.
If my car fails its MoT - blank
madf:
Sounds like another reason to steer clear of overpriced German junk and follow the blue oval!
Andy
If my car fails its MoT - RichardW
£4k will buy a good late low mileage Citroen Xantia HDi - they're cheap as chips now! I've just bought a 95N Turbo D with only 70k miles, in good condition for <£1500 - which seems like a right bargain to me (time will tell!). Big, comfortable, good economy, much better screwed together than my previous BX (but way short of the Germans I suspect!). Bit high on the insurance, but you can't win them all!

Richard
If my car fails its MoT - Dogbreath
I have been looking around a bit recently and (outside the franchised dealers) the Honda Aerodeck looks to me like great value. I saw a nice P reg for well under £4k.
If my car fails its MoT - M.M
I'll second the Xantia choice, a well cared for lower milesge 1.9TD with history for less than £3K may be best, no higher trim level than SX.

Actually Richard's is exactly what you need. Xantia's don't rust at all and the TD engines will top 200K so no need to buy newer.

Get one like his in a nice metallic, fit a non-dating plate and Bob's your Auntie.

If you don't appreciate the individual nature of a Xantia perhaps a Mondeo then, don't get a TD Mondeo unless you are willing to suffer a very crude engine, petrol Mondeos are best (when we're talking older ones).

MM
If my car fails its MoT - keithb
>>If like my A4, the suspension wishbone bushes at the front >>wear. Replacement costs are about £125 each.. plus labour.>>
Sounds like another reason to steer clear of overpriced German junk
and follow the blue oval!

Common fault on Mondeos also. Mine cost £145 for 1 side at 38000 miles.
If my car fails its MoT - Blue {P}
Where did it cost that?!? Sounds a bit on the high side, blue oval repairs are normally quite cheap, certainly more so than the German cars...
Car failed MOT and the repair was done by the MOT/Tyre/Exhaust centre. I think they're trustworthy as I've had many MOTs done on various cars and this was the first failure. They claimed they couldn't just replace the bushes and had to replace the complete wishbone.

As I had sold the car the night before on the basis of 12 month's MOT, I didn't have time to get a 2nd opinion and price from a main dealer. The part was £63 and labour £82 incl. VAT.
If my car fails its MoT - blank
sounds like a bargain compared with Audi's £125+labour!

Was this the fault that afflicted early model mondeos but was corrected on post-facelift ones with larger bushes? Or am I thinking of something else?
1996 Mark 1 Mondeo 2.0 Don't know whether it was corrected for Mark 2 models but it sounds likely.