mondeo or vectra diesel - keemar
I have £5000 to spend on a car which would be the best diesel to buy out of the two & what year should i get for the money.
mondeo or vectra diesel - Cyrill666 {P}
Hello,

Within the last couple of months I have bought a 1999 V Registered Vectra 2.0Di Ls. I paid £5k for it with 92k on the clock (ex-company car) and I'm very happy with it. If you have and specific questions I may be able to help with, please feel free to email me (see my profile for address).

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
mondeo or vectra diesel - Crombster
My dad bought an X reg (prefacelift) Mondeo TD. Tis a nice car but reminiscent of my Uncles Transit van...

Veccy 2.0Di :)

mondeo or vectra diesel - DavidHM
Ideally, I'd get a Passat in this class, but for £5,000 it's going to be older and leggier than anything you'd be looking at. What about a Peugeot 406? Okay, it's French, but it's a lot classier than a Vectra and the HDi engine is very refined and frugal. A few reliability worries maybe, but it's the most popular taxi in Europe so it can't be that bad, surely?

Out of the two, I'd get a petrol Mondeo or a diesel Vectra. The diesel Mondeo is just too horrible to contemplate - it's a good car ruined by a dreadful engine. The Vectra is a bland car with a reasonable engine, just make sure you get one of the post 99T facelift ones.
mondeo or vectra diesel - keemar
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP OF TO Blackbushe ON FRIDAY
mondeo or vectra diesel - blank
I hugely respect HJ's knowledge and opinions, but I would never buy a Vectra. I own a Mondeo but this does not bias my opinion, I own it because I chose not to drive a Vectra after having driven various examples of both cars over several years.

The Vectra is a truly horrible vehicle in almost every way. It is badly engineered, badly built, rides and handles badly. It looks OK, but the mirrors are too small, Traffic master is hugely irritating and the stereo controls are far from intuitive. The Mondeo is fantastic to behold in comparison.

Sure, the Mondeo diesel engine is far from cutting edge, but it's reasonable economical and cheap to run. It's been around so long I imagine almost any back street garage would know how to fix a problem at a reasonable cost.

No knowledge of the DI engine, but I am quite sure it won't make the Vectra into a good car.

All in my opinion of course!
Andy
mondeo or vectra diesel - BMDUBYA
I have to agree with most of what Andy S says, I dont own either a ford or Vauxhall. I think the Vectra is a great looking car, but it ends there. I respect HJ's opinions but was bemused when he recommended the DI, especially when in the Car by Car breakdown he says, and I quote "Hand on heart, I cannot recommend these cars."

HJ would you please clarify your recommendations as I may be looking to change cars, and this may sway my descision towards a DI Vectra.

mondeo or vectra diesel - SjB {P}
... Okay, it's French, but it's a lot classier than a Vectra ...

HA HA HA ha ha haaaaaaaaaa.
Joke of the day! ;-)

/Steve
mondeo or vectra diesel - SjB {P}
Wretched laptop keyboard.
Sorry, managed to press too soon on previous posting.

This is what was intended:

... Okay, it's French, but it's a lot classier than a Vectra ...

HA HA HA ha ha haaaaaaaaaa.
Joke of the day! ;-)
A pug, even a 406, having class, any class?
Come on!
Styling is in the eye of the beholder, and yes, it is nice, but class?
No, sorry.

... The Vectra is a truly horrible vehicle in almost every way ... The Mondeo is fantastic to behold in comparison...

It is badly engineered: Nothing other than a couple of bits of trivia has gone wrong with either of the two Estates that I have driven since 1997. Some of the engineering is also extremely clever, with excellent detailing, clutch replacement aside!

It is badly built: As above, plus mine has no squeaks or rattles.

It rides and handles badly: My previous SRi Estate was no better or worse than average - ie it was not 'bad' - but my current GSi is truly excellent. Fantastic body control and steering feedback on sweeping A-roads, and as smooth as you like at legal motorway (and then some) speeds.

It looks OK: Agreed. Nothing special in cooking form, but I will admit to loving my bespoilered, squat, 'cambered wheels with rubber band tyres' model. As a design, it actually hangs together very well.

The mirrors are too small: Never found this a problem.

Traffic master is hugely irritating: I disagree. It is H U G E L Y irritating! :-))

The stereo controls are far from intuitive: Huh? They are very intuitive. Even my missus, who couldn't work out how to squirt the rear window on her Pug 306 Sedan mastered the Vectra stereo controls first time.

The Mondeo is fantastic to behold in comparison: No! Just another car in the Vectra, 406, Primera, 'designed by a computer to meet a price' mould, within which we each have our preferences.

I guess the conclusion is "Each to his own", but in my own, personal, experience, with two models over five years, I can recommend Vectras!

/Steve
mondeo or vectra diesel - Dynamic Dave
The Vectra is a truly horrible vehicle in almost every way.
It is badly engineered,

In what way?

badly built,

For example?

rides and handles badly.

The pre '99 model might have done, but Lotus sorted the problem out.

It looks OK, but the mirrors are too small,

I was given a Corsa courtesy car when my Vectra went in for a service recently. In comparison the Corsa mirrors were hidiously large. The Vectra mirrors, IMHO aren't too small. You look in them and you can see what's behind you. Comparing the Corsa mirrors to the Vectra's, I know which I would sooner have.

Traffic master is hugely irritating

Discontinued as standard fit after Aug 2000.

and the stereo controls are far from intuitive.

???????? Are you sure you're talking about a Vectra?

The Mondeo is fantastic to behold in comparison.

You would say that as you own one - as I defend the Vectra as I own one :o)

Half the problem with people's attitude toward the Vectra is listening to the claptrap that Clarkson and Needel had to say about it. For whatever reason motoring programs have always had it in for Vauxhall. Makes you wonder if Driven/Top/Fifth Gear are secretly sponsored by Ford!!
mondeo or vectra diesel - Crombster
My dad has the Mondeo and my girlfriends dad has the Vectra, both pre facelift yet both built prior to being discontinued. Asides from the Fords diesel being horrendous, the Vectras petrol engine is very smooth and very quiet although its a little 1.6.

Dad has the Ghia X with leather and toys, yet it feels very plasticy (so does the leather for that matter). The build quality on the Vectra both inside and out is far superior and poor pops is left wishing he bought one.

After he badly damaged the front end in a 2mph collision he was given a new style Mondeo as a courtesy car and that indeed was a step up from the Vectra. However, as i have no experience of the new Vectra I can't compare it to that.

I have long wondered why Clarkson and friends slate the Vectra as there is no way the Mondeo is miles better, if at all.
mondeo or vectra diesel - prm
Well, here we go again,when I was looking for a car just over a year ago,I asked certain knowlegable people what the Vectra was like, especially with all the slagging off it gets. The service manager at Halfords said he had'nt had any in for major work and now the early oil leak problems had been sorted they were OK. My mechanic much prefers working on them to a Mondeo, which he reckons are pigs to repair and expensive(alternator a nightmare job),an AA manager friend of mine said they do more repairs on Mondeos than Vectras and he had just ordered a fleet of Vectras for his guys, and personally drives a 1.8 Zafira,a friend at work had just chopped his in with 72.000 on it for an Astra, and had no problems( and that was a 96P? ). Anyway I bought one from the auctions (risky I know ) 1998 1.8 LS, I've done 30.000 miles in it, its had the dreaded IAC valve renewed, and thats it! Lovely car, better built than weak paneled,plasticky Mondeos, no squeaks or rattles superbly quiet and pokey engine,and I get 44mpg out of it,rides a bit firm but corners b***** well. I drove both and it was the Vectra for me.
mondeo or vectra diesel - blank
I knew a Veccy fan would come out of the closet if prodded hard enough. I can see this going on for a few hours today!
>> The Vectra is a truly horrible vehicle in almost every
way.
>> It is badly engineered,
In what way?

Search for Vectra in this forum and see for yourself!
>> badly built,
For example?

The last one I had on hire (almost new) had loose bits of interior and a squeaky tailgate
>> rides and handles badly.
The pre '99 model might have done, but Lotus sorted the
problem out.

No. Lotus made it a lot better than it was, but compared with Mondeo, Primera, 406 or any other car with decent ride and handling it is poor, poor, poor. Drive the 4 competitors down an undulating road and you will see what I mean. I have, have you?
>> It looks OK, but the mirrors are too small,
I was given a Corsa courtesy car when my Vectra went
in for a service recently. In comparison the Corsa mirrors were
hidiously large. The Vectra mirrors, IMHO aren't too small. You look
in them and you can see what's behind you. Comparing the
Corsa mirrors to the Vectra's, I know which I would sooner
have.

I disagree, but I admit this is a personal opinion. I prefer larger mirrors, unless I am attempting to reach Formula 1 speeds.
>> Traffic master is hugely irritating
Discontinued as standard fit after Aug 2000.

Presumably because it was irritating and useless. Glad Vauxhall agreed with me!
>> and the stereo controls are far from intuitive.
???????? Are you sure you're talking about a Vectra?

Yes
>> The Mondeo is fantastic to behold in comparison.
You would say that as you own one - as I
defend the Vectra as I own one :o)

I tried to make it clear at the start of my post that I made and informed decision. My ownership is demonstration of my opinion, but does not bias said opinion.
Half the problem with people's attitude toward the Vectra is listening
to the claptrap that Clarkson and Needel had to say about
it. For whatever reason motoring programs have always had it in
for Vauxhall. Makes you wonder if Driven/Top/Fifth Gear are secretly sponsored
by Ford!!

Clarkson used to be, which might have biased his opinion. I am not.

Don't stop trying to change my mind, I'm enjoying this. Must do some work now though!!
Andy
mondeo or vectra diesel - BMDUBYA
I have to agree with most of what Andy S says, I dont own either a ford or Vauxhall. I think the Vectra is a great looking car, but it ends there. I respect HJ's opinions but was bemused when he recommended the DI, especially when in the Car by Car breakdown he says, and I quote "Hand on heart, I cannot recommend these cars."

HJ would you please clarify your recommendations as I may be looking to change cars, and this may sway my descision towards a DI Vectra.
mondeo or vectra diesel - prm
Also, why is it when ever I go to the auctions, the traders seem to be far more interested in Vectras than Mondeos, and they nearly allways seem to fetch higher prices than like for like Mondeos?
mondeo or vectra diesel - mutley
I had a Diesel Mondeo as a company car and I agree the old diesel was very poor.
If you buy one just check the timing belt has been changed as mine was gone two days when it was changed, with presumably an appropriate bill to go with it.
The current TDCi is a different matter altogether but not yet at £5k.
Mutley