95 1.6 Expansion tank tube missing? - Diamond
Bought a nice low mileage Carina off of a friends dad, and I have a question about the coolant expansion tank.

The coolant level in this was just over full, however when I unscrewed the actual radiator cap I noticed that the coolant level in the radiator was well below the fins, so I topped this up.

Now, the only experience I have is with the old fashioned radiator with no expansion tank, so I thought I'd mug up on how the more modern systems work.

When I took the cap off of the expansion tank, the pipe going into this is only about an inch and a bit long. No way does it reach the top of the fluid in the tank even at the full mark. I seem to think that at one time there was a rubber hose attached to this short little pipe going right down to the base of the expansion tank. If not how can the fluid get back into the main radiator?

Can someone confirm my thoughts on this? Thanks.
95 1.6 Expansion tank tube missing? - Diamond
All fixed now, I had a fish about in the tank and found the rubber tube at the bottom!

It had slipped off the small tube, and was loose when I put it back so now I have jubilee clipped it on.

So much for Toyota servicing. My friends dad had this main dealer serviced every year, goodness knows how long this tube has been missing.