I'm getting used to it! - Happy Blue!
I have had the Volvo XC90 just under two weeks and have driven about 700 miles which for me is a lot. I am slowly getting to grips with it and in fact most of the issues I now have with it are down to the poor preparation by the supplying Volvo dealer.

Like all diesel automatics, it need to wake up and stretch in the morning and the fuel consumption is dreadful at that time and also stuck in traffic and city streets at any time. You can't quiet see the fuel gauge drop but the average on the trip meter certainly does. Also the heavy steering is a bit of a bind although it gets easier as the car gets warmer. Not a car for city centre driving but then who wants to drive in city centres unless you have a Smart?

On any form of slightly open road the car really comes into itself with a relaxed gait and excellent economy for the bulk. Very comfortable seats, excellent driving position partly marred by thick pillars, and easy to use controls on the steering wheel. The radio volume and cruise control switches control these devices in a more defined way than the Outback.

The kids love it; the high position, quietness of the interior and quality radio. My daughter loves her integral booster seat, which gives her a superb view out front.

There are some things I am not keen on. There is nowhere to store the luggage cover if the rear seats are in use. The ride is a bit firm over potholes, but then I am using the ECO tyre pressures.

The headlights should be great but the previous owner used beam reflectors and removing them has left some deep scratches which I think are throwing the beam off. The car came with a new MoT but I am disappointed that the dealer did not deal with this nor did he replace the winter pack carpet mats or the First Aid kit in the boot. Bit of a poor show really. Makes me less certain to buy a car long distance now with asking far more questions. My experience with buying the Outback long distance was second to none.

All in all I am getting more used to it. It is fine and in some respects is better than the Outback, but then it is doing a different job. If I did not need the space, I would still consider an Outback because the all the good things about it and the bad things (lack of space mainly) would be irrelevant. But needed that space, the Volvo makes a good fist of it. The bets in the office of when I would change it are lengthening!

I'm getting used to it! - Alby Back
Brakes OK ?..

Yeah I know !

;-)
Humph - stop it! You'll give me a complex.

I must find the grit; I must find the grit; I must find the grit
I'm getting used to it! - Alby Back
Is that with or without the "r"

;-0

Two pints it is then ! ( kinda worth it though )........
I'm getting used to it! - ex-Triumph man
How are you getting on with that really awkward parking brake? If it had been a manual XC90, you would have needed to be related to Jake the Peg to drive it. Volvo don't make many mistakes but that is one major boo boo.
I am already used to the American style parking brakes, so in an automatic it does not cause me a problem.

It's not perfect. When sitting in traffic on a slight slope I like to drop into neutral and put on the 'hand'brake, but of course I can't and it is a lot more effort to press the pedal and then release it via the handle on the dash. Also it does not hold any better than a handbrake, but I leave the car in P as well. But overall, I'm not bothered too much. It's not a deal breaker.
I'm getting used to it! - ifithelps
...It's not a deal breaker...

I took a firm dislike to the parking brake in the Merc C class I test drove last year.

Sounds like a similar contraption.

I could say it was the reason I didn't buy the car, but the 'deal breaker' was really the £20,000+ asking price.

If it was a manual gearbox I would agree. But for automatics it is far less problematic and it keeps the centre console free for other things like cupholders etc. (Very handy for keeping phones and other bits in).
I'm getting used to it! - ifithelps
...it keeps the centre console free for other things...

Hadn't thought about that.

Might have got used to the parking brake over time.

If we could all test our new cars for three months before buying them, we'd find out all these things.

Also, for those cars which have the gearbox (manual or auto) on a console that drops down from the dash, rather than between the seats, a handbrake that is anywhere else but between the seats means that there is a lot more space between.

Many MPVs are like this and you either have a great walk through from front to rear (which is also very handy) or a third front seat (Honda FRV).