01 2.0 shorted wire - now no 'constant live' - foshizzle
hi everyone.

i was recently working on my car and accidentally shorted the positive connection on the alternator to the alternator casing. i got some sparks, and heard a click.

since then i have nothing powered by constant live - i have lost central locking, interior light, radio memory, door open lights and the buzzer that goes off when i leave the door open with the lights on.

today ive gone out and the battery is dead - im presuming ive either a) knackered the alternator or b) have a short somewhere which is causing the whole lot.

i have checked all my interior fuses and the fuses in the engine bay and they are fine. all the fusible links look fine. the only things i cant check is the relays.

can someone please help, the cars off the road until its sorted.
01 2.0 shorted wire - now no 'constant live' - elekie&a/c doctor
I would guess that a fusible link has blown.You need to test the links in the engine bay fuse box with a test light or meter as there is no visible "blow"..Some of them are covered by a plastic lid.hth
01 2.0 shorted wire - now no 'constant live' - Peter.N.
Try disconnecting the alternator and charging the battery and see if anything works. The lead from battery to alternator is pretty hefty can't see that you have burnt it out, I'm sure you would have noticed.

Sorry elekie, you just beat me to it

Edited by Peter.N. on 31/01/2010 at 22:13

Thanks for the help - really appreciate it. the short wasnt for more than half a second - and i smelt no burning.

i didnt know that the fusable links had no visible damage if they go, so ill pull them again and test continuity tomorrow morning :D

thanks once again.
Tested continuity and it seems that the largest fuse in NATO has blown - 150amps. no sign of damage on the fuse as above. The positive feed goes from the battery through here to the alternator, with the constant feed somewhere in between.

This explains the dead battery as its not been charging. Got a new one in hand and will fit tomorrow and hopefully all will be well once again! thanks to everyone.