98 1.7 td overheating - Baddiel
Hello all,

I'm having a bit of bother with my 1.7td (low-blow), I noticed it overheating at the start of the week....when driving about it seems ok but when in traffic or pulling hard the temp can rise steadily.

Firstly i flushed the system and put in fresh coolant which helped but didnt solve then i noticed that i dont think the fan is operating. Using some wire i connected it directly to the battery and it still spins so i know the motor on it is fine.

I have since changed the thermostat and the coolant temp switch but it still gets hot when left sitting and i think the fan still isnt trying to cut in???

Have thought about installing my own switch for the fan but has anyone else got any ideas on what the problem maybe?

cheers in advance for any advice
98 1.7 td overheating - Peter.N.
Certainly sounds like the fan, but that is only effective at low speeds or when stationary. You need to check the coolant switch for voltage, if there is 12v there check for voltage on the motor. Is there a dedicated fuse for the fan, if so have you checked it? If you short the connections on the switch together you should them have volts on the fan, it may be a direct switch or it may have a relay, in which case you should hear it click. If you have volts on the fan but it doesn't work, assuming the earth connection is OK the motor will be faulty.
98 1.7 td overheating - piston power
Does the water pump work is the impeler sheared off?
98 1.7 td overheating - Baddiel
Cheers for the info, i'll check both these suggestions out first chance i get.