Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - dimdip
(Non-model-specific question)

Does the panel think it is good / bad / indifferent practice to use copper grease, or other anti-seize compound, on roadwheel bolts? Thank you

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/01/2010 at 20:53

1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - sandy56
never used it and only seen it used rarely in 40 yrs of motoring, if the threads are clean and not galled leave them alone.
1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Fullchat
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roadwheel nut and bolts are designed to be tightened up to a specific torque based on both contact surfaces being clean and dry.

The addition of any form of lubricant will reduce the friction and will decrease the torque at which point the nut bolt would be at the correct design torque. By still turning the torque wrench to achieve the designed reading the bolts or studs would stretch thereby weakening them.

As an example I once fitted a towbar and thought it a bright move to coat everything in waxoil prior to assembly. I fitted the main chassis mounting bolts and could not reach the required torque. Eventually I ripped the threads out of the captive nuts and off the bolts.

Had to Helicoil everything . Assembled dry and no problems. I learned my lesson.

I am sure Number Cruncher may be along to provide the more scientific answer.
1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - cheddar
This has been discussed before.

My opinion is that copper grease allows smooth tightening without significant over tightening where as normal grease would cause over tightening.
1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - WorkshopTech
Professional practice is clean and dry thread, no lubrication. No ifs or buts. Manufacturer torque specs are ALWAYS for unlubed threads unless otherwise specified (e.g. some head bolts and so forth).
1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - bell boy
its handy on fiats and vauxhalls to find copper grease or the shock of undoing the bolts with the cracker bar could break ones wrist or femur
im neither for or against on this one
1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - WorkshopTech
The problem if you lube the thread is that the clamping force for a specified torque becomes excessive, this is problem with alloy components, including allow wheels. Can cause cracking/distortion of alloy components. Problem with wheels is that most people overtighten them. Usual spec is 120Nm on dry threads for alloys, its not that much really. I have seen a lot of alloys with cracking around the bolts and crush damage due to owners going mad with a long bar.
1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Number_Cruncher
Wheel bolts should (generally) be installed dry.

The design intent of bolted fasteners is that they should develop clamping force. This means that the bolt is in tension, and the joint is placed in corresponding compression.

When you apply torque to a fastener, most of this effort is spent in overcoming the friction beneath the rotating head of the fastener, and the friction in the sliding threads. Only a little effort is actually expended in tensioning the fastener.

The relationship between the torque you apply and the tension you achieve is, therefore, strongly influenced by the condition of these sliding surfaces, and by greasing them, you will obtain much more tension in the fastener than was designed for.

This extra tension can be enough to strip the threads, to damage the fastener, or to damage the component being secured. If the joint has been well designed, the shank of the fastener will snap first, before thread stripping or component damage, but, not all bolted joints are well designed.

This dependence on friction to determine how torque tightening produces fastener tension is why torque tightening is quite a poor method of installing fasteners. Torque tightening is popular because it's quick and easy. Even with the best torque tools and highly trained fitters, the scatter in bolt tension between a population of bolts is quite wide. For more critical fasteners on cars, a torque plus angle specification is usually given which gives much more accurate tensioning, and which usually makes much more efficient use of the fastener material.

Incidentally, the joint face between the wheel and hub should also remain dry - this face is, effectively, a clutch face transmitting drive and braking torque between the hub and wheel. This torque should be transmitted by the friction, and not by shearing the bolts.

The bottom line is that all safety critical fasteners should be tightened by following the manufacturer's specification, with no ad-hoc modification.
1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - dimdip
Thanks for the posts ? very interesting reading. When Autoexpress's recommended torque wrench is next on promotion at Halfords, I'm going to swoop
1 1 Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Andrew-T
Ever since I bought a used Maxi and had to jump hard on a 2-foot tommy bar to loosen the wheel nuts, I have lightly coppergreased all wheel-bolts and tightened them hard by hand with only a 10-inch socket. Wheels can stay in place for years, until a puncture makes removal necessary, when after insidious corrosion it is found to be impossible at the roadside.

I have never suffered from loosening or any other damage - nor punctures for that matter ...
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - doctorchris
My daughter has a Vauxhall Corsa D and I seem to recall that the handbook gives wheel bolt tightening torques for lubricated bolts.
I may be wrong and don't have the handbook with me to confirm.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Dynamic Dave
I may be wrong and don't have the handbook with me to confirm.

They're available on-line to freely download

www.vauxhall.co.uk/vaux/owners/servicing/servicing...w

Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Lud
At least one car I have had seemed to have a sticky sort of substance in the wheel bolt threads. It wasn't grease exactly but it was waterproof. At least it prevented the bolts from rusting and seizing in the hub.

I remember two young coppers jumping up and down on a length of scaffolding in the attempt to loosen a rear wheel bolt on my VW 411 (very kind of them). They bent a thick chrome steel tommy bar and in the end the socket exploded. Had to get a better quality one...
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - ianden
Copper grease can often be used between wheel and hub (not on the threads or bolt/nut contact areas) to prevent the wheel becoming stuck on the hub. This is recommended for my BMW rear wheels.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Simon
Well I learnt the trade in a proper 'old fashioned' style garage and they always used to copper slip the mating surfaces of the wheel/hub and the roadwheel bolts/studs. It is a practice that I still use to this day on the array of vehicles that I look after, whether it be techinically right or wrong. I have never had a problem with a wheel coming loose, studs/bolts breaking or wheels cracking - equally so I have had anyone not be able to subsequently remove a wheel that I have fitted themselves due to stuck nuts/bolts or a wheel stuck to the hub. I shall carry on copper slipping them until I see evidence to persuade me otherwise.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - kithmo
I agree, Simon, and I have never used a torque wrench on wheel nuts/bolts. I tighten to a nip and then a bit more, never had a problem in 36 years of DIY motoring.

Keith
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - WorkshopTech
Good for you, probably nothing wrong with that, although not best practice.
You have to realise that we deal with all sorts of customers and most of the general public think that wheel bolts have to be very tight and will try to tighten like their life depended on it. So lubing everything with copper grease can result in some much overtorqued bolts.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - kithmo
Good for you probably nothing wrong with that although not best practice.
You have to realise that we deal with all sorts of customers and most of
the general public think that wheel bolts have to be very tight and will try
to tighten like their life depended on it. So lubing everything with copper grease can
result in some much overtorqued bolts.

I agree WT, I lubricate the studs and wheel centre (spigot) to ease wheel removal on my own vehicles, on which I remove the wheels at least every 12 months, to do my own checks and I am very careful not to overtighten them.
I know that dealing with other peoples' vehicles on a commercial basis will involve written practices which should be followed and as a technician you no doubt will.

regards
Copper grease can often be used between wheel and hub (not on the threads or
bolt/nut contact areas) to prevent the wheel becoming stuck on the hub. This is recommended
for my BMW rear wheels.

Yes, copper grease should be put on the hub spigot, this is where they normally stick. Ideally you shouldn't put any grease on the threads or on the contact face with the hub - as number cruncher says this is basically a friction coupling to your wheel. Torque should go through this and not through the wheel bolts. The bolts are to provide compression, not to carry braking/acceleration forces.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - CraigP
The wheel bolts provide a clamping force wheel to hub face.

Provided the torque applied across the bolts (accelleration, braking etc.) does not exceed the sum of the clamping force (capped bolts clamping wheel to hub), everything's dandy.

Friction of hub face cannot come in to play provided this clamping force isn't overcome (and if it is overcome you've lost a wheel bolt, nasty!).

NB: Clamping force is not cleanly related to how much torque is applied to fastening the wheel bolt, for all the reasons listed above about clean vs. greased threads it's impossible to *accurately* tell clamping force that will be exerted from the torquing force applied to the fastner.

The threading gives you a mechanical advantage, so for energy applied through 100Nm twist onto the bolt, there will be even more clamping force bolt cap to wheel to hub.

EDIT: friction of the hub face *does* come in to play, but i can't think how to measure or model it. It does contribute however, so WT is right.

Edited by CraigP on 21/01/2010 at 15:31

Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Number_Cruncher
I'll step through your post point by point;
The wheel bolts provide a clamping force wheel to hub face.

Yes.
Provided the torque applied across the bolts (accelleration braking etc.) does not exceed the sum
of the clamping force (capped bolts clamping wheel to hub) everything's dandy.

No. You're trying to equate a torque with a force - it's like trying to equate apples with oranges.

The correct statement would be that providing the torque across the interface is less than the friction torque which is generated by the clamping force provided by the bolts then all is well.
Friction of hub face cannot come in to play provided this clamping force isn't overcome
(and if it is overcome you've lost a wheel bolt nasty!).

No. Friction at the hub face is what should transmit all traction and braking torques from the hub to the wheel, or from the wheel to the hub.

The bolts provide the clamping force. The N in F = mu * N
NB: Clamping force is not cleanly related to how much torque is applied to fastening
the wheel bolt for all the reasons listed above about clean vs. greased threads it's
impossible to *accurately* tell clamping force that will be exerted from the torquing force applied
to the fastner.

Yes, any change in friction level from the ideal means that you get more or less tension in the bolt per unit torque applied.

As a first step, you can use Torque = 0.2*(preload)*(bolt dia) to estimate how the bolt works - as a first step in deciding whether you need M6 bolts or M16 bolts.
The threading gives you a mechanical advantage so for energy applied through 100Nm twist onto
the bolt there will be even more clamping force bolt cap to wheel to hub.

No.

Firstly, energy can't come from nowhere.
Secondly, you're trying to equate torque with force again.
EDIT: friction of the hub face *does* come in to play but i can't think
how to measure or model it. It does contribute however so WT is right.

You can model it just like you would model the torque capacity of a clutch with one friction face rather than two - that's fundamentally what it is.

When you get your head around how this joint works, and do the sums, you'll realise that a greased contact at this interface *can* result in slippage under extreme loading, which will load the bolts in shear and bending which they are not designed for.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - 659FBE
There is a further aspect to this discussion which has so far not been mentioned. On a well designed steel wheel, the bolt seats are pressed in such a way as to provide a slightly raised contact area at the hub or disk interface.

The resulting clearance around the bolt seat means that the wheel steel itself is subject to some elastic deformation when the bolts are tightened. I'll leave the arithmetic to our honourable and learned friend, but I would suggest that this deformation has at least as great an effect in maintaining the joint preload as does the elongation of the (short, stiff) bolt.

Wheel bolts/nuts are almost universally provided with tapered seats which are not always strictly required for the maintenance of concentricity - many wheel hub interfaces have a spigot. I suspect that the inclusion of a taper adds materially to the friction under the bolt head and inhibits loosening. (NC please comment). This will serve to make the preload difference greater between the lubricated and unlubricated conditions for a given tightening torque.

I use copper loaded grease but don't overtighten them. There's a huge margin of safety in the design of this joint (the hub is less strong and an Al wheel much less strong - see what breaks after a serious RTA) and I've never ever had a lubricated bolt come loose. I do check them though.

Of course, "my" wheel preload is lost completely with Al wheels - but I don't use them. If I had to, I'd be more cautious with grease, but at the same time aware of the bi metallic corrosion implications. I'll stick to steel wheels.

Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - cheddar

No doubt a well lubricated, greased, thread can overtighten because the lubrication enables the specified torque to create additonal tension by overcoming friction.

However the addition of copper particles to the grease ensures that the amount of torque required to achieve the required tension is not affected greatly at the same time ensuring that mating surfaces move smoothly against each other, and that the thread does not corrode to the extent that it cannot be undone.
at the same time

You can't have both.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - bell boy
i love cake
>> at the same time
You can't have both.

You can if they are two different things.
But the two things you're talking about ARE the same.

If something moves more smoothly, the friction is lower. If the friction is lower, the torque versus preload relationship has changed. You cannot have one without the other.

There can be a specified level of friction which is not achived due to machining inaccuracies, surface imperfections, dust, grit, corrosion etc. Copperslip counters this enabling smooth torquing (as opposed to smooth talking ;-) ) without increasing the tension relative to torque significantly.
>>without increasing the tension relative to torque significantly.

No - you're kidding yourself.

There can be a specified level of friction which is not achived due to machining
inaccuracies surface imperfections dust grit corrosion etc. Copperslip counters this enabling smooth torquing (as opposed
to smooth talking ;-) ) without increasing the tension relative to torque significantly.

Even Mr Scott cant do that. "Ye cannae change the laws of physics!"
>>without increasing the tension relative to torque significantly.

No - you're kidding yourself.

Even Mr Scott cant do that. "Ye cannae change the laws of physics!"

>>

I think you are both ignoring the word "significantly".

I had a chart on this though cant find it currently, the effect of various lubricants on a dry thread, IIRC a moly grease, hypoid 90, a multigrade, WD40, copperslip characteristics were nearer a totally dry thread than any of the lubes.

I think it is to do with copper having a high coefficient of friction against other metals.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - L'escargot
Copperslip counters this enabling smooth torquing (as opposed
to smooth talking ;-) ) without increasing the tension relative to torque significantly.

For a given torque, the tension in a clean and dry bolt even depends on whether the components are plated or not.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - paulc924
I bought a used car from a dealer in September. It had 4 brand new tyres fitted. Just before Christmas I got a rear puncture about 10 miles from home. In no way could I remove the locking bolt using its tool but I got the other 4 out o.k.. I have never been a member of a motoring organisation but remembered that there was a year's cover with th car. After the mechanic and I had tried again using all his equipment he admitted defeat. This was only the second car that had beaten him in 21 years. He managed to repair the puncture and I got home. The next morning I went to my local tyre man and it took him the best part of 20 minutes using windy guns and sockets e.t.c. The puncture repair was checked and made safe. After that I removed each bolt in turn, put Copperslip on and tightened them back up so that I could remove them again myself at the roadside. There is now way that I am going through that rigmarole of a stuck bolt again. Regards.
Its a rare thing now to see a bolt thats corroded on. They are nearly all plated in some way.
They are difficult to get off because some idiot has wound them up to about 1000Nm torque! Putting copperslip on there means they still get would right up, but the clamping force is so great it damages the alloy. You can get away with a lot more on steel wheels.
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - bell boy
vauxhalls as ive said before seem to ever tighten themselves up
when i were a lard alloy wheel bolts used to come with a chrome washer and were ideal to spread the load all round onto the wheel as you tightened it up. a much better idea i think
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Andrew-T
When i were a lard alloy wheel bolts used to come with

When were you a lard, BB?
Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - L'escargot
For a given torque, the tension in a lubricated bolt can be as much as twice that in a clean and dry bolt.

www.zerofast.com/torque.htm

"The reason all applications should be evaluated to determine the optimum tightening torque is that the K factor in this formula is always an estimate. The most commonly used bolting K factors are 0.20 for plain finished bolts, 0.22 for zinc plated bolts, and 0.10 for waxed or highly lubricated bolts."

"Keep in mind that if the lubricant on a bolt and nut combination is changed, the tightening torque value must be altered to achieve the desired amount of bolt tension."

Edited by L'escargot on 25/01/2010 at 08:54

Copper grease on roadwheel bolts ? - Andrew-T
The theoretical side has been thoroughly described by N-C and other erudite gentlemen, who conclude that greasing can tempt us to overstress wheel bolts, and I suspect this may be a more important consideration with alloys than with steel wheels.

But for me, the over-riding consideration is practical. If I am unlucky enough to get a puncture at the back of beyond, I want to be able to fit the spare without needing to summon specialist help, especially late at night.