used car with many issues - helix
hi

i bought a used Ford Focus recently (couple of weeks ago), 2001 reg, 70k, and it has been back to the garage twice to fix issues. I have had the car in my possension for 3 days at the most.

I first took the car back because I noticed the carpets smelled really bad after collecting the car. When I viewed it, the cleaning products they had used covered the smell. The water level was also very low. I took the car back and left it with them for a week. They cleaned the carpet and replaced the water pump.

After picking the car up the following weekend, the car broke down. I got the RAC to tow the car back to the dealer. I told the dealer it still smelt and the RAC said the thermostat had failed. I left the car for the week. They fixed the thermostat and cleaned the car again.

After another week, I picked the car up. When driving the car home, I noticed three other issues:

- the accelerator pedal feels sticky and is not smooth
- sometimes when changing gear, as I clutch in, and foot off accelerator, the revs to not always drop to idle immediately - this is an intermittent fault
- there is a creaking / knocking sound as I turn corners, particularly at low speed and hardish lock when pulling off

The car also still smells.

I want to return the car for a full refund so would like to get an inspection to properly diagnose the issues with the car and provide a report for the dealer.

Does ayone know the best place to get this done? Would a Ford dealer be best, or the AA/RAC? Or another insepction firm?

The AA/RAC inspections are only visual so I worry they may not pick up more serious issues such as head gasket failure which could be tested for with proper equipment. Also they do not get the car on a ramp.

Any advide would be appreciated.

Cheers!
used car with many issues - stunorthants26
Its an old car and these are old car, minor issues.

Accelerators are not always smooth, depends on the car. Revs dont always drop quickly, varies from car to car. This may be linked to the accelerator, presumably the cable may need some lubrication.

If the carpets smell, ask them to replace the carpet or have it valeted properly.

Im not sure how a failed thermostat would make a car break down either.

These are really quite minor failings on an old car and the dealer appears willing to fix it when it goes wrong. Cant see that they can do any more than that.

Good luck getting a refund.
used car with many issues - bathtub tom
I'd suggest the pollen filter's leaking water into the carpets and the damp has caused the throttle pedal (or throttle position sensor - has it got a cable?) to corrode.
Accelerators are not always smooth depends on the car. Revs dont always drop quickly
varies from car to car. This may be linked to the accelerator presumably the cable may
need some lubrication.

the revs droping issue is intermittent and is a known issue with the model - could also be a cable issue though
Im not sure how a failed thermostat would make a car break down either.

the car overheated as the thermostat that opens the cooling system up to allow water into the radiator was stuck shut
These are really quite minor failings on an old car and the dealer appears willing to fix it
when it goes wrong. Cant see that they can do any more than that.

a refund maybe?

used car with many issues - mcguyver
The first two of your 'other issuses' are probably related. There is no accelerator cable, the Focus is a 'drive by wire'. The ecu controls the engine revs depending on the position of the accelerator pedal, in principal it works like a Scalextric contoller. With wear, and dirt getting onto the pedal circuit, they can give the symptoms you describe.

The third issue sounds like a worn cv joint.

As stu says, on this age of car you have to expect faults. As the garage has been fixing the faults and considering the car is usable, i think you may struggle to legally 'reject' it.
The first two of your 'other issuses' are probably related. There is no accelerator cable
the Focus is a 'drive by wire'. The ecu controls the engine revs depending on
the position of the accelerator pedal in principal it works like a Scalextric contoller. With
wear and dirt getting onto the pedal circuit they can give the symptoms you describe.

thanks. or maybe water damaged (as bathtub tom suggested). would be consistent with the smelly carpet as well since this is only in the driver area
The third issue sounds like a worn cv joint.

was fine when I test drove the car - maybe it had been lubricated and now that is wearing off. Could water damage also cause issues here?

Edited by helix on 17/01/2010 at 20:01

used car with many issues - bell boy
might be a leaking heater matrix
engine speed might hold for many reasons
creaking is probably a shifty spring or a worn drop arm
to be honest its all basic stuff that should be easy to sort if the people looking at it know what they are doing
why not consider a second opinion from a trusted independant garage with no axe to grind
used car with many issues - Jcoventry
I know it's annoying to have problems with your car, but believe me this isn't that bad. I've had my Ka from new and its had more serious problems than this within just 6,000 miles!

The Mk1 Focus is very solid if you get a good one, hopefully yours will be once the issues are fixed.
used car with many issues - mcguyver
thanks. or maybe water damaged (as bathtub tom suggested). would be consistent with the smelly
carpet as well since this is only in the driver area

Yes, the leak could corrode the tracks in the pedal sensor.
was fine when I test drove the car - maybe it had been lubricated and
now that is wearing off. Could water damage also cause issues here?

Not really. More likely that you didn't notice it during the test drive; easily done as the symptoms only appear at certain circumstances.

Edited by mcguyver on 17/01/2010 at 21:24