HGV MOT Testing Exemptions: - bell boy
A consultation document out now that you can respond to if you are currently running a hgv test exemption vehicle.
Consider recovery wagons
Mobile compressers
Motorway maintainance certain vehicles
etc
the link....... www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/mottestingexempt.../

comments anyone?
HGV MOT Testing Exemptions: - Harleyman
I would have liked to see the "Fast-trac" type agricultural vehicles added to the list ; if anything is in direct competition with HGV's it's them.

As for the others; much of it seems resonable but I'd love to see the fun when one of those REALLY big mobile cranes turns up at the testing station!
HGV MOT Testing Exemptions: - Mapmaker
It always struck me as bizarre that any of these was exempt. That sticking a tow hook or a cherry picker on the back of a landrover makes it exempt is nonsensical.
HGV MOT Testing Exemptions: - bell boy
why mapmaker?
some of these vehicles only do 10,000 miles in their working lives and come from places where maintainance is paramount
unfortunately too many cowboys are mot exempting dangerous vehicles like recovery trucks/mobile compresses and using them on a daily basis
in my link it says 40,000 vehicles now under the exemptions and growing so something has to be done
In my opinion everyone will suffer increased costs because of the minority
HGV MOT Testing Exemptions: - Simon
comments anyone?

I don't really see a problem in what they are proposing. Why should some vehicles be exempt from annual MOT testing from the day they are built until the day that they are scrapped?

I work for a breakdown/recovery operator and we currently have around twenty 'breakdown' vehicles (ie lift & tow only) that are exempt from annual testing amongst our extensive fleet. These range from spec lifts right up to five axle wreckers.

The vast majority of these breakdown vehicles of ours do attend the test station each year and come away with a Roadworthiness Certificate which is pretty much an unofficial version of an MOT. We have to do this because some of the contracts that we do require us to have certified and inspected vehicles & equipment etc.

But at the end of the day it is no real hardship as far as I am concerned. Whether or not your vehicle is MOT exempt it should still be maintained to a roadworthy standard at all times. Driving through the test lane to prove that you are capable of this once a year is easy.