08 1.6 Default AntiFreeze from Factory? - leapylee
Hello

I have been out of the country since before the cold snap. Is it safe to start the (petrol) engine of my 2008 Roomster?

I have not put antifreeze in and cannot find the details of the car's first year's service but hope there is some antifreeze put in at the factory. Would I be correct?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Lee
08 1.6 Default AntiFreeze from Factory? - andyp
Yes it will have been filled with a coolant solution at the factory that contains anti freeze and corrosion inhibitors, this fluid will probably have a life of 10 years (check handbook/service schedule). If it does ever need topping up, which would be very unlikely, get a bottle of the correct coolant from the Skoda dealer - never use just water which will dilute the coolant mixture, or any universal anti freeze which could react with what is already in there.
08 1.6 Default AntiFreeze from Factory? - WorkshopTech
It will be filled with VAG G12+ coolant, which is specified to either 5 or 10 year life, depending on the exact model you have.
You can buy this antifreeze concentrate (pink coloured) from any VAG dealer or aftermarket supplies from Halfords, ECP, GSF and lots of other factors. Just look for G12 somewhere on the bottle.
G12 is not exactly the same as G12+ but its near enough and fine for topping up.
08 1.6 Default AntiFreeze from Factory? - leapylee
many thanks to both of you. I checked the radiator hoses and they seemed soft (i.e. not frozen solid) and just took a short run. All seems fine.

L