New idea for winter tyre? - Cliff Pope
My wife gave me the idea for a totally new concept in snow tyres. She observed that polar bears and other arctic animals get a grip by having large but spaced out pads on their feet, interspersed with long fur.
So would the same idea work on wheels? Imagine the tyre consisting of two or three rows of pads, perhaps 2-3 inches across, and a sort of woolly mop all the way, strands perhaps 6" long. This could either be part of the tyre, or perhaps on a separate tough rubber strip which would be strapped onto the tyre just like a snow chain.

Has this ever been tried?
New idea for winter tyre? - adverse camber
Thats sort of a cross between a M&S tyre (not just *any* tyre) and snow socks.
New idea for winter tyre? - Lygonos
re. Polar bears - is it the snow tyres, or is it the four wheel drive with diff locking that helps most?

;-)
New idea for winter tyre? - Altea Ego
Actually I think an all weather polar bear in cars is called for. There are certainly times when I wanted to set a rather large, smelly, dangerous and very agressive killer on another motorist.
The fur thing is well known, and is the basis for snow socks.

I believe nordic skiers also used to have animal fur on the bottoims of the skis. This gave them "push" backwards and slide forwards.
New idea for winter tyre? - sierraman
I believe nordic skiers also used to have animal fur on the bottoims of the
skis. This gave them "push" backwards and slide forwards.

From WP -
Going uphill or across a flat requires grip, so that the ski will glide forward but not slide backwards when weighted. Dedicated cross-country touring skis may have a fish-scale pattern engraved into the base of the ski to enable the ski to grip, but most types of ski require the use of sticky wax or climbing skins for their smooth surface to grip. Skins are removable pieces of plush fabric whose nap runs at an oblique angle, allowing the ski to glide forward, but not back. Originally, these skins were actually made of furry seal skin.

New idea for winter tyre? - ipsfr
Cross country skis flex when you put your weight on them, and the centre section touches the snow. This centre section is made "sticky", so that you can push yourself along, either with a fishscale pattern that bites in the snow or by wax that is designed to adhere rather than glide.

The sealskin was used on skis called ski de randonnée in French. These are skis that look like normal alpine skis, but that have special bindings and this sealskin on the soles so that you can trek uphill then ski down. Nowadays simulated sealskin is used, but the principle is the same. It's a dangerous sport because people tend to do it in places that are far from the normal pistes, and often with greatly increased risk of avalanche.

Why not have a team of polar bears, harnessed like huskies? Then there'd be no need to change the tyres.
New idea for winter tyre? - Brit_in_Germany
>I believe nordic skiers also used to have animal fur on the bottoims of the skis.

Cheap x-country skis use a fish-scale type arrangement. I suggest that you tie a few haddock to your tires instead.

BIG
New idea for winter tyre? - barney100
My dog is a samoyed and they originate from Siberia. I just examined his paws......much to his bewiderment........to find the same arrangement as polar bears. Pads with quite long hair in between, must be something in it!
All of the working breeds from the northern hemisphere have this feature.
New idea for winter tyre? - Mick Snutz
Quick, phone up the Patent office!
New idea for winter tyre? - Bill Payer
As someone else said, you're more or less describing AutoSocks. There are several similar things around. www.autosock.co.uk
New idea for winter tyre? - Alby Back
Quick phone up the Patent office!

" Hello - I want to patent a new tyre design please"

" Yes madam - could you just give us some details? "

" Sure - it's based on a polar bear's paw"

" right then....um....could you hold for just one moment please?"

"no problem"

Oi, listen up everyone, I've got a right one here, I'm gonna put this on speakerphone !!

" OK madam, so this tyre......"

;-)
New idea for winter tyre? - gordonbennet
If you feel your dogs paw pads they feel smooth one way but the other way the pad sort of opens up and they become very grippy...my golden could accelerate quickly as a result but the brakes were useless, slide stop most times with a resulting crash till she worked out her braking distances.

If you feel the tread of a competent winter tyre it feels similar to the grippy side of the dogs paw, those narrow sipes providing that row of small edges...they still feel soft even in extreme cold where a summer tyre is rock hard.

Where the fur bit fits in i haven't worked out yet, i suppose it's there to stop gunge getting jammed between the pads stopping them flexing, i suppose a couple of days unshaved beard approach could be beneficial on the tyre shoulder, give them a hunky new man sort of look, whilst being totally useless which is quite apt.

.;)
New idea for winter tyre? - Sofa Spud
Here's one for the pedants to argue over:....

I wonder if those Autosocks things are legal, strictly speaking. In legal terms, do they not constitute a 'tyre' once they're fitted, and therefore subject to minimum tread-depth regulations?
New idea for winter tyre? - movilogo
Polar bears have brains which some motorists do lack in winter :) That obviously make a difference.

Joking aside, I think tyres used by tractors does have this layout.

New idea for winter tyre? - paul2007
Hi

I have a patent on a tyre that allows studs/spikes to be fitted to it and easily removed. There is not a big market for this because of the cost of producing these. I have contacted all the large and small tyre manufacturers and even applied to appear on the tv show 'Dragons den' but I pulled out because i'm camera shy.
you know what? for the first time ever on here I am speechless!
New idea for winter tyre? - ForumNeedsModerating
>>you know what? for the first time ever on here I am speechless!

If you were speechless AE - surely we wouldn't know about it?

The only thing thing that surprises me is that Paul2007 is camera shy! ;)
which post you referring to AE?

cheers!
you being camera shy!
I am. Even at wedding and parties 9which i tend to avoid if poss) i steer clear of the cams/video.

i'm quiet vocal in real life, but usually pick the right time and place for it, eg, at home, work meeting and training sessions and on the net.
New idea for winter tyre? - adverse camber
I have a patent on a tyre that allows studs/spikes to be fitted to it
and easily removed.

I'm interested in how this differs from the existing tyres which take studs and are currently in use across scandinavia? The easy removal?

Edited by adverse camber on 10/01/2010 at 14:44

New idea for winter tyre? - Bill Payer
I wonder if those Autosocks things are legal strictly speaking. In legal terms do they
not constitute a 'tyre' once they're fitted and therefore subject to minimum tread-depth
regulations?

The tyres are still there!
New idea for winter tyre? - ifithelps
Taking off one's shoes to walk on ice is an old trick.

Socks - as in the type men wear - grip on ice when shoes won't.

Another tip is to pull a pair of old socks over your shoes.

No good for a polar trek, but the socks will last long enough for most journeys.

After all, who wants to walk a long way in this weather?

Another trick is to sit down and slide down if it is very, very slippery and you have nothing safe to hold on - saves a broken neck.
New idea for winter tyre? - buzbee
"" Hello - I want to patent a new tyre design please"

" Yes madam - could you just give us some details? "

" Sure - it's based on a polar bear's paw"

Not Possible?

I dunno, the cats-eyes man did OK!
New idea for winter tyre? - Cliff Pope
OK, Autosock got there first. But at least it confirms it's not a totally daft idea.

Mark II has retractable studs (aka claws) for that extra grip on really bad ice.
New idea for winter tyre? - corax
Imagine the tyre consisting of two or three rows of pads, perhaps 2-3 inches across. and a sort of woolly mop all the way

So where would you source the material for the woolly mop?
You could use waste human hair from the barbers and stick it to a central rubber strip, you could specify blonde, black or brown. Or do you think thats a step too far?

By the way, what does happen to all that hair? :-)
New idea for winter tyre? - 1066
what about a system that heats the tyre or the air in the tyre to a high temp so when the tyre rolls over the snow it melts a small layer giving a better grip?
New idea for winter tyre? - bathtub tom
So you're suggesting a thin layer of water on top of the snow or ice?

I think you'll find that's how ice skates work. The pressure of the skate on the ice melts the ice immediately below the skate giving a very low friction, almost like the thin layer of oil inside engines.

Not quite the ideal for grip.
New idea for winter tyre? - 1066
would it work on normal ice where it would melt down the the road surface if one was traveling slow enogh
I suggest you try it.

Hair dryer, hot air gun, blow torch. See how fast you can clear ice down to the road surface.

New idea for winter tyre? - SteveLee
I think the fact that the rest of the creatures mentioned are incredibly hairy all over may mean the hair in between the paws might be incidental not evolutionary grip aids.
New idea for winter tyre? - Lud
The problem with the bear paw idea is that the fur would soon wear away. If the car was a bear it would keep growing, so would always be more or less the right length.

Why shouldn't 2007 be camera shy? Lots of ugly brutes are. I am myself.

Thinks: Mmmmmmm...bear paw soup....

Edited by Lud on 11/01/2010 at 22:56

>>Thinks: Mmmmmmm...bear paw soup....

'sfunny, pot noodle usually smells like hairy tyre soup to me, although I've never tasted the stuff.