Bye Bye Pug - Hello Audi A3 - midlifecrisis
Well, after much internet pounding and countrywide searches, I've finally done the deal on a replacement car, and right on my doorstep. Put in contact with an Audi saleswoman through a relative and have secured a good deal, with a very substantial discount on a ........(drum role).........Audi A3 2.0d Sportback, S-Line, Black Edition in Misano Red. Just before signing on the dotted line, I managed to get the first service for free as well. It's in the showroom and ready for immediate delivery.

So the faithful Pug has one more week left. Rather than being excited, I almost felt guilty at discarding it. It's been so reliable and comfortable and I'll miss the amazing JBL stereo (although the Audi has Bose). But I think the VEL rates for cars with 219g/kg are only going to go one way, which could have made it ultimately very difficult to sell.

Talking about my surprise at the lack of available deals in december, the saleswoman said they were so busy because of the VAT change, they couldn't take all the potential orders. Even today, the showroom was very busy.

The one thing is...BMW, if you ever bothered to follow up enquiries, it may have been a 5 series. As the numerous dealers simple couldn't put the effort into returning calls, Audi got the cash.

Edited by Pugugly on 02/01/2010 at 20:37

Bye Bye Pug! - Fullchat
Blimey I thought one of the Mods was retiring :-)
Bye Bye Pug! - Pugugly
And me - I thought I was getting my papers for a moment ! Nice car that - is it a Quattro ?
Bye Bye Pug! - Martin Devon
Oh! It's your old Pug that's going. Not ours.

Thank Heavens for that.

Worry is me......................M
Bye Bye Pug! - paul2007
You did the right thing. If i'm not called back, our dosh goes to another!

My dad said to me years ago - when you buy a car from a garage, stick around their servicing department if you can and if they treat people with respect, buy the car even it is a bit dearer!! i've done that with my mercs but more diff with the local jeep guys as their service centre if off the car sales site. (bit i did give them a call before buying from this dealer and asked questions re service costs/etc - ok its not fool proof but at least i done some home-work0

good luck with your A3 - we had a 2;e and a$ years ago - both bullet proof imo.

drive mercs and jeep for years but imo the audis are better - but never been in an A3 but sure its good qual.

BTW - when we sell our old car, even if we've only had it for about 2 years, hurts to see her go
Bye Bye Pug! - Alby Back
Well done mlc - enjoy it, but don't be driving it too fast now ! I gather some of the traffic cops round your way are pretty keen.....
Bye Bye Pug! - midlifecrisis
It's a plain old two wheel drive. :)

Didn't mean to retire you prematurely Pug! I don't drive fast Humph...at least not in my own car!!!!
Bye Bye Pug - Hello Audi A3 - Avant
Congratulations and good luck with it, MLC. The A3 is a great car and one I was tempted by, but the extra room of an estate still comes in useful for my needs.

It was nearly going to be an Octavia vRS, wasn't it? Possibly Skoda delaers operate on lower margins than Audi dealers, and don;t want to PX the Peugeot. Presumably the cost to change is still higher than for a Skoda, even with a better PX value - but you're getting a car that will hold its value that much better.
Cost to change worked out at £1500 more for the Audi than for the Skoda. Skoda just didn't want to deal. (And I got mates rates, which helped)
Well, should have picked the cr up today. My current car is still stuck outside my house so I've decided to be sensible (must be old age) and wait till another week till I collect it!
Bye Bye Pug - Hello Audi A3 - TheOilBurner
You're so much more patient than me. Nothing short of WWIII would stop me picking up a new car!

Good luck with it MLC, hope to hear your reports on it soon. :)
I just thought I'd try my luck and see if the council would come out and grit the hill (as the took the grit bins away!). Response...it'll take up to four weeks for an engineer to come out and assess the road! Speechless

I'm in no rush to get rid of the Pug. Even if it is only parked outside.
Bye Bye Pug - Hello Audi A3 - Pugugly
Wait until it warms up less risks of panel damage !