My perfect car - Richard Hall
I just discovered a car I had never heard of - Audi S2 Avant. Basically an 80 estate (1992-on) with the 5 cylinder turbo engine and Quattro drivetrain. Not the RS2 - that's something different (more power, naff interior trim). The S2 sounds like a car that would be worth trading in my 20V Coupe for, and there are a few around the £7K mark (although they all seem to be in Scotland). Well outside my normal price bracket, but I started listening to Radio 4 at the weekend, so perhaps I'm getting too old for bangers.

Anyone know anything about these? Any notable weak spots? HJ's Car by Car Breakdown doesn't mention this model, so presumably a real rarity with nightmare parts availability, but I'm already used to that after the 20V.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
My perfect car - J Bonington Jagworth
I've listened to Radio 4 for years and I still have bangers!

Actually, that's not a fair description of our Audi 90 and Mazda 323F GT, which are both still in good order and nice to drive, but they probably qualify on cost and age. How old is your 20V coupe? I'd like one of those...
My perfect car - CMark {P}
Hello Richard,
this S2 sounds like just the car for me also but I would be interested in LHD and so to Germany. Let us know what you find out about them.

Ever since having had a 200 bhp Rover 620 Ti for a year and 36,000 miles I have set my heart on something as quick and big enough for all the family's junk that we seem to cart around Europe with us on holiday.

It seems you are a VAG fan but also check out the RHD-only Subaru Legacy GT and GT-B. This is a twin turbo, 2-litre with up to 280 bhp and the usual Subaru attributes. It is sold new in Japan, Hong Kong and New Zealand. See:
www.subaru-global.com/about/history/1998-001.html
There are some used ones in the UK. I am going to Japan next month to visit my brother and I will check the GT-B out (test drive and ask technical questions such as EEC compliance and why Subaru do not sell them in Europe!!!)

CMark
My perfect car - madf
I used to be keen on Audis. Tough cars. Good bodies. Good mechanics but when the quattro drive (Torsen diff) goes, expect BIG £000s bills.

Ideal for bad driving conditions. Great grip and handling.But fuel consumption unlikley to be better than 30mpg on a long run as 4wd costs 2-3 mpg.