This site hogging computer [Read Only] - WorkshopTech
I am getting reluctant to visit this site. It seems to tie my CPU up at almost 100% and slow my computer right down. I am running latest Firefox with popup blocker on and Flash disabled.
I am not a computer expert - what is going on and how can I fix it?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/12/2009 at 01:45

This site hogging computer - bathtub tom
I'm running exactly the same software as you (Firefox update downloaded last night) and have no problems.

I'm no expert, but on a recent visit to friends who complained about their slow computer I gave it a defrag, uninstalled Norton and replaced it with AVG. That helped.
This site hogging computer - WorkshopTech
I'm no expert but on a recent visit to friends who complained about their slow
computer I gave it a defrag uninstalled Norton and replaced it with AVG. That helped.

Running ESET anti-virus. Computer is normally very fast, its ONLY on this site that it goes pear-shaped.
This site hogging computer - Falkirk Bairn
I am having similar issues over the lasy 7 days - seems linked to the adserver
This site hogging computer - maz64
how can I fix it?

Try the 'Report Website Problem' near the bottom of the page.
This site hogging computer - NARU
I find that the noscript addition makes a big difference
This site hogging computer - Lou_O
If you're running windows try this:

Open file:

C:\\Windows\\System32\\drivers\\etc\\hosts

And add this line to the bottom of the file

127.0.0.1 ads.honestjohn.co.uk

This should speed things up for you.

Edited by Lou_O on 18/12/2009 at 10:50

You can also add:

127.0.0.1 honestjohn.uk.intellitxt.com

to remove the Vibrant popups

You'll need to close and restart your browser to see changes.
This site hogging computer - theterranaut
I got the same post banned a year ago Lou! Watch out for the mods- ads= payment.

This seems to have done the trick. THanks. Should maybe be made a 'sticky'?

Yes - like the sticky asking people not to quote posts.

Edited by Pugugly on 18/12/2009 at 12:19

This site hogging computer - Pugugly
Advertising is what makes this site free - no such thing as a free lunch - we keep telling people to report problems via the cunningly disguised button that has "report site problems" written on it :-)
Advertising is what makes this site free - no such thing as a free lunch
- we keep telling people to report problems via the cunningly disguised button that has
"report site problems" written on it :-)

Agreed, but advertising has to be done in such a way that it does not deter people from visiting the site. I was on the verge of not using this site at all, because it was locking up my PC with 100% CPU usage.
I did use the 'site problem' button on Tuesday, but decided to ask the question because I was not sure where the problem lay (i.e. with some incompatibility with my PC or with the site).
This site hogging computer - FotheringtonThomas
Should maybe be made a 'sticky'?

HJ would not like that at all. Advertisements pay for this site. That is why one should be circumspect in commenting on "how to avoid".
I meant to add that !
This seems to have done the trick. THanks. Should maybe be made a 'sticky'?
Yes - like the sticky asking people not to quote posts.

OK, so now that you have edited the quote out of my post what does the 'this' actually refer to? I used a quote to indicate which of several suggestions worked.
Sorry - it's quote fatigue - becoming a nuisance again - other mods delete the posts.
I'm suspecting a Flash issue. HJ is quite flash-heavy these days.
I'm suspecting a Flash issue. HJ is quite flash-heavy these days.

No, I already disabled Flash. Adding the line to 'hosts' as mentioned above, fixed the problem.
I do understand the need for advertising, but surely the site must lose some potential visitors when their computer bogs right down? Three's quite a few sites I dont bother with because of the advertising and this was going to become one of them, but its sorted now. I think its a case of keeping a balance between usability and ads.
Hmmm...doesnt explain why your CPU would hit 100% though. If its just sitting waiting for packets to arrive from adservers then there would be little/no cpu hit. Its something within some advert, I'm sure of that.
It's a shame that this site does't use a more up to date forum system, this one is sadly lacking compared to many others.

Also, it's all well and good having a 'Report Website Button' but I recall that one of the most useful members, screwloose, finally stopped posting here after giving up due to problems with the site.
What feature do you think it lacks, Lou?
What feature do you think it lacks Lou?

Private Messaging
Thread Subscription
Thread Notification
Proper quoting (Multilevel)
Post Numbering
HTML in posts

That's just off the top of my head.
This site hogging computer - Badwolf
I find that if I open the site using Google Chrome then I have no problems at all.
I use Chrome and one of the biggest problems I have is that sometimes the box into which you type the message loses the cursor and there is no way to further edit the text. I have to copy and past the text elsewhere and start again.

I'm using the developer channel though, so maybe it's related to that.

Also the Chrome adblock extensions didn't work well for me, on this site, so I had to resort to the hosts edit.

This site hogging computer - JohnM{P}
I think there is a more obscure problem, rather than just blaming this site
I recently became aware that Firefox on my Vista Ultimate laptop was churning away high CPU (and accumulating memory) for quite some time after opening a page, before dropping back to a lower level. This site was bad, but was by means not the only one causing such problems. IE and Chrome also seemed to use high cpu (but subsided back to normal quicker than FF). Internet search pointed the finger to Flash; disabling Flash in FF didn't seem to change much, but after installing a Flash blocker, things have improved, but still are not right.

However, I have also acquired a new Windows7 Prof laptop - with Flash installed and active, the browsers do not use excessive CPU and drop back to very low 'tickover' very quickly; there is no need to install a blocker/disable Flash. I have checked version numbers of FF and Flash, both the same on both machines (latest versions). Why the 2 machines should behave differently (and why one has picked up the problem) I do not know.
Thus I can understand why some people experience the problem yet others not...
Private Messaging

This can lead to girly "ganging up" on posters, and much bloodyness. I'm very glad this "forum" hasn't got it!
Proper quoting (Multilevel)

This can often lead to laziness and posting of Huge Blocks Of Unnecessary Text. I'm quite glad this "forum" hasn't got it.
HTML in posts

Thank goodness * it hasn't got that.

Also, thank goodness it hasn't got "sigs" and "avatars" and such worthless, useless, ugly, screen-cluttering, embarassing... you get the idea! I'm very, very glad indeed that this "forum" has no such things.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/12/2009 at 01:33

I'd quote FT's message in here, but it's too hard to make it readable.

PM - yes, this can lead to sillyness, but one can have the option to not receive PM at all or to blacklist some users.

PM, along with thread notification and subscription would help when people post here once, promising to update but never do, a little nudge works wonders and who knows those one-time posters might stick around and contribute useful stuff.

Sigs, avatars I couldn't care less about, but some people like them, again it can be configurable, you don't have to see it if you don't like it.

I get the impression though, that whatever improvements I suggest some of the posters here will find reasons to shoot them down even if they would have no impact on their experience of the site.

Someone will probably be along soon to tell me if I don't like it here that I should leave!
This site hogging computer - ifithelps
Look, Lou, if you don't like it here maybe...

The above remark is in jest, by the way.

If I understood computers as well as you do, I might be keener on change, since I might be able to see the benefits.

But as I don't understand computers very well, I rather like the simple way posts are handled on this site.

There is an intermittent, but persistent, glitch which makes the cursor disappear from the text box.

And I wish the site would run quicker, but I suspect that's as much to do with lack of download speed at times than it is to do with the site itself.

This site hogging computer - jbif
And I wish the site would run quicker, but I suspect that's as much to do with lack of download speed at times than it is to do with the site itself. >>

I suspect it is to do with the tsunami of ads that are served up by the "intellitxt" and other ad servers that are a big feature of this site.

"I'd quote FT's message in here, but it's too hard to make it readable"

Mods would just chop it.
>> "I'd quote FT's message in here but it's too hard to make it readable"
Mods would just chop it.

Oi! I think he's referring to the difficulty in quoting my message, not the readability of it!

IMO it's not *too* hard to cut'n'paste, or quote all and then snip where required - however, it's harder than it is with some "forum" S/W. This can be a Good Thing, as excessive quoting is a Bad Thing. It's not always necessary to quote, either.
Thanks all - details have now been passed to the site publishers for attention.
This site hogging computer - Dynamic Dave
Thread Notification

That one is explained here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=70...4
HTML in posts

A small minority of people abused this and then other people started jumping on the bandwagon with ridiculously large font sizes & font colours. A decision was made to only allow bold, Itallic, and underline commands. There are a couple of other HTML commands that can be used, but they have no significant impact on how the post looks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/12/2009 at 01:39