04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - Tim Dog
I had the thermostat replaced on my second hand Zafira replaced under warrenty because the temperature guage never reached 90 degrees, even in the middle of summer in traffic jams it seems to stay at about 85.

I have had the car back for nearly two weeks and now and it never gets above about 83 degrees which is even worse. For example

I drove 90 miles yesterday on a mix of country, town and motorway roads, the outside temperature was about 10 degrees and it never went above about 83 degrees which seems to me too cool

Every car I have owned; once warmed up runns at 90 degrees and I am concirned that this will increase my fuel consumption.

My questions are:

What is the correct running temperature of the water in a Zafira 2.2 SRi once warmed up.
What effect will this have on the fuel consumption

I'm guessing that the guage or thermometer may be at fault or the garage did not do the repair.

Any thoughts?
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - Dynamic Dave
What is the correct running temperature of the water in a Zafira 2.2 SRi once warmed up.

Approx 90ºC or just under.

What stereo have you got fitted? On some you can go into the hidden settings to get an engine temperature readout, among other things. This can be cross referenced with the temperature guage reading.
The stereo has been upgraded to a Kenwood. My friend has a tool that plugs in to the port diagnostic port I expect that could give me some idea.
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - Peter.N.
83C is still pretty hot, I don't think your economy will suffer, that is assuming that your temperature readout is correct.

Edited by Peter.N. on 03/12/2009 at 22:00

04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - Victorbox
If you are getting good heat out of the heater this time of the year you probably have nothing to worry about.
I'm getting plenty of hot air out of the heater, as its under warranty I'll get them to check out the temperature gauge and sensor as a replacement thermostat did not help. I don?t want false readings because if the engine was constantly running hot and I didn?t know it as could do a whole lot more damage.
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - L'escargot
I don't suppose the quality of car temperature gauges is high enough for them to be accurate. Quality costs money. They're only there (at best) as a rough indication.
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - jc2
There's a lot to be said for for"blue-white-red" or "C-N-H"gauges.
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - L'escargot
There's a lot to be said for for"blue-white-red" or "C-N-H"gauges.

Definitely. The OP doesn't even state what temperature scale (Fahrenheit, Celcius etc) he's talking about.
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - Dynamic Dave
Definitely. The OP doesn't even state what temperature scale (Fahrenheit Celcius etc) he's talking about.

Us people who know and drive Vx's know that the temperature gauge readout is in ºC. I thought most modern cars (that have temp gauges) were the same though.
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - Simon
If they have changed the thermostat for a new one then I really wouldn't worry about it, the car is running fine. It is afterall a 5 year old car so the gauge may not be that accurate. Have you tried another identical model/year Zafira with regard to seeing what temperature it runs at? Is yours any different?
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - Victorbox
Getting a gauge / sender unit checked when it seems to behaving perfectly normally for a Vauxhall gauge seems a waste of money. My Mk 3 Cavalier never went over 90 degrees except in traffic when the fan kicked in and brought to somewhere between 80 and 90 degrees. Although my wife's Corsa C has a different gauge with a different scale yet it still runs between the same temperatures. We've just bought a Corsa B for my daughter to drive - different gauge again, but running temperature is about the same. Here the needle doesn't need to go very far to be out of the blue part of scale and be between 80 and 90 degrees - only about a quarter deflection in fact. We have all the bills from new and I see one owner forked for two thermostats and a sender unit in quick succession, presumably thinking that needle should go further round the gauge to be "normal".
04 2.2 Water running temperature when fully warmed - boggles
I think Vauxhall have had loads of comments and queries regarding coolant temperatures, this is probably why my wife's new 1.9cdti has no temp gauge at all!!
The 2.0dti that she had, used to run at a steady 85 to 87 degrees C, but on a cold morning, it could take 7 miles to reach that from start up. The heater was well warm long before the gauge moved.