Blanking of EGRs and insurance? - Rattle
A common mod to Vauxhalls of a certain age is to blank of the EGR. When they go wrong they cause problems and they are expensive, so people just blank them off completly. Vauxhall even have a mod where the dealer will disable the EGR function in the ECU for some engines, so it seems the dealers even support this mod.

There is an otion in the Tech2 software which apparantly disables this part, on some I think the ECU automaticaly detects that its been blanked.

Anyway would disabeled the EGR cause problems with insurance as it is not an insurance mod, or a modification to make the engine more reliable.
Blanking of EGRs and insurance? - Number_Cruncher
For some models, EGR being disabled via Tech2 is a software update from Vauxhall, and as such, it's difficult to see it as a modification.

But what about the ones like my engine 1.2 X12XE where you have to physicaly remove it and then blank it off? Surely that is a mod? I am wondering what to do if mine fails because a lot of people are suffering from EGR issues on this engine when it gets to around ten years old.

However I do not want to risk it if it means causing any insurance issues, and if its classed asa mod it would increase my premiums as insurance companies probablyu won't understand what blanking the EGR means.

Blanking of EGRs and insurance? - zookeeper
on what grounds would blanking off the EGRvalve cause your insurance to be compromised? is it a safety issue, fire risk or what...im only asking
Blanking of EGRs and insurance? - bathtub tom
If it had been blanked by a previous owner and you had no technical expertise, would you be able to tell?

Perhaps you could have bought the car with it already blanked, unknowingly?
There won't be any difference, but the way the engine management system behaves will change. It also effects the emissions but not to the point where it has any effect on the MOT.

There is no legal requirement for them to be fitted in the UK on a Euro II engine such as mine.

I wouldn't know if its been blanked off, but I know it hasn't. I suppose the point is valid though.

Edited by Rattle on 30/11/2009 at 14:28

Blanking of EGRs and insurance? - Dynamic Dave
Will blanking it off increase engine performance = no (other than making your engine run as it should do if the EGR valve were working properly)

No performance increase = insurance company won't want to know.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/11/2009 at 19:29