94 1.1 Major Battery malfunction - DezSport
I have never had this problem with any of my cars, so it has puzzled me

I recently took the old battery out of my 205 as it was dead, and replaced it with a brand new one, the problem came when I connected the negative lead to the battery... as soon as I did, a crackling sound came from the front left of the engine bay, then smoke started coming out of the part that is on the right hand side that had a belt around it and what looks to be a fan inside the casing

I have no idea what the part is called, but it is the only thing connected to the radiator with a belt on that side of the engine Bay
94 1.1 Major Battery malfunction - Altea Ego
>part that is on the right hand side that had a belt around it and what looks to be a fan >inside the casing

That will be the (now dead) alternator. You will, at a minimumm need a new diode pack in it.

I suspect that you had the battery the wrong way round, and connected the negative lead to the positve terminal.

94 1.1 Major Battery malfunction - Peter D
Yeo either the wrong configuration of battery or put in the wrong way round. If you are lucky it is only the alternator that is wrecked. Regards Peter
94 1.1 Major Battery malfunction - Peter.N.
I would agree, there is a lot to be said for older cars, if it had been a modern one it could well have written it off.