99 1.4 Problem ticking over - ricey
Hi,

Over a year a go my Clio 1.4 RT randomly cut out as I pulled up to a junction. After restarting the engine, the revs would drop and the engine cut off, it wouldn't hold. After my mechanic had it for about 3 weeks and replaced the idle control valve, which apparently blew up on a cold start and he had to clean and replace my old one, it was returned. He told me it was a problem with the ECU and that it wasn't worth fixing. Every morning, for over a year, on a cold start the revs wouldn't stick and it would cut out until the engine was warm. Almost every time I pulled up to a junction or traffic lights the revs would cut out. 3 months ago a mechanic who is a friend of mine took it in for some work needed for my MOT. He ran a diagnosis on it which showed up as, 'idle control valve open circuit'. He told me he would be able to fix it so he, again, replaced the idle control valve. It then wouldn't tick over at all! He replaced the old valve but the car would randomly rev up and wouldn't pass emitions test. I therefore had to declare it SORN as I couldn't tax it! He removed the ECU and sent it to Renault who reported no fault, informing him it would be the wiring. I’ve now been without a car for 3 1/2 months and he doesn't know what to do now. I can’t even use it for part-ex or scrap page scheme and I’m at my wits end!! Please does anyone know what I can do or try next?? The, KTS, (I think) the diagnosis computer shows 'Idle control valve open circuit' that’s all I know. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Adam Rice

Edited by Webmaster on 21/11/2009 at 12:48

99 1.4 Problem ticking over, PLEASE HELP!! - Altea Ego
Renault told you what the problem is. There is a break or short in the circuit from the ECU to the idle control valve. I cant remember exactly where, but there is a main clamp that chafes through the wires on this model.

Search this web site using the search box "forum search" to the right and you will find items in here that describe the exact location.
99 1.4 Problem ticking over, PLEASE HELP!! - ricey
Thanks,

I've tried the search but can't find the location. My mechanic said it is most likely the wiring but he doesn't know where to begin looking and apparently it?s like finding a needle in a hay stack. Does anyone know where the break might be??
99 1.4 Problem ticking over - Kamikazzee

By any chance did you get this fixed? As i am having the exact same problem, hat i have found out though is that the two coils on the stepper motor are different then the ones that the car is outputting.